HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Superman as a Christ figure?

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 2, 2006 10:55 PM PDT

Lost in Evie's hype about "all that stuff" is all the Christian imagery in the new "Superman Returns" (we saw it yesterday with two friends; 8 thumbs up...)

Jor-El: "I sent my only son to earth;" "The father becomes the son, and the son the father."
Superman: "the world cries out for a savior"
The image of Superman as Atlas, with the world (well, the Planet Globe) on his shoulders

And then there's the penultimate sequence (SPOLER WARNING!)

After saving the world despite knowing the kryptonite in the new continent he's carrying is likely to kill him, and just before falling back lifeless to earth, the body position is clearly that of crucifixion. And then there's that final resurrection... I wonder how long he was unconscious in that hospital, anyway!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Superman as a Christ figure?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Superman as a Christ figure?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since forever....
by EdH / July 2, 2006 11:01 PM PDT

oe the thirties at least.

Actually a Moses/Christ figure.

Collapse -
That's it, Dave!
by Paul C / July 2, 2006 11:06 PM PDT

Again alluding to Evie's post: We can call the Trinity Jor-El, Superman and (insert your Third Person here).

I'd send that suggestion down to Louisville, but I'm terrified that the Presbyterian Church (USA) General Assembly would seriously consider it...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Lois' lane?
by Evie / July 3, 2006 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: That's it, Dave!
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My hype?
by Evie / July 3, 2006 12:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
I heard the interview this morning.
by Angeline Booher / July 3, 2006 1:10 AM PDT

What I didn't realize was that the original creators of Superman also were influenced by the Bible.

Just shows the personal impact of our religious teachings.

By the comments I have heard since Wednesday by people I know who have seen it, it's a wonderful movie.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Not new to Superman, though
by Cindi Haynes / July 3, 2006 6:39 AM PDT

It was very easy to see the religious symbolism and such in the third Matrix movie as well, with Neo needing to save the world, and crucifix-type positioning and iconry (is that a word?) as well.

And I've a feeling that the Matrix probably wasn't the first to do it, either!

Cindi

Collapse -
Superman, and other superheroes of that era....
by Josh K / July 3, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

...must also be seen in the context of the times in which they were created. The 1930s, the Depression, the rise of Hitler, there were many things people wanted to be rescued from. Superhero comics were one "deliverer." Busby-Berkeley musicals and farce comedies parodying the rich were another.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.