Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Superantispyware problem (sorry their "help" was no help)

Ive been using superantispyware for a while now and am very happy with it. I used to use pro but have recently downgraded since my free trial ran out. Lately I have been able to update the core and trace, but each time I start my computer (I'm using Vista by the way) a small box pops up above my taskbar saying that an update for the program is available. When I select to d/l and install update I get an error code saying this must be done by a user with admin priv. Well I am admin on this computer (only user in fact) and have never run into this problem before so I'm a bit perplexed. I thought at first Kaspersky I.S.2009 might have restricted it from having access as an application so I made sure that wasn't the case. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Superantispyware problem (sorry their "help" was no help)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Superantispyware problem (sorry their "help" was no help)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have a look.......

In reply to: Superantispyware problem (sorry their "help" was no help)

Collapse -
couldnt find it there...

In reply to: Have a look.......

I looked but couldnt find superantispyware in that list. I have also used it with no problem in conjunction with KIS 2009 for the last month and a half and this issue has only cropped up in the last few days.

Collapse -
Known issue to Superantispyware but

In reply to: couldnt find it there...

they have possible solutions in http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=84

"This is caused by a Windows Vista permission anomaly. This procedure works in most cases to reset the permissions.

On some Windows Vista systems, particularly with 64-bit Windows Vista, it's necessary to temporarily run SUPERAntiSpyware as administrator each time a program update is available.

1. Right-click the SUPERAntiSpyware icon (the yellow/brown bug) in the system tray (near the Windows system clock) and select "Exit."
2. Right-click on the SUPERAntiSpyware icon on your desktop, and select "Run as administrator."
3. Close the SUPERAntiSpyware main menu when it opens.
4. Right-click the SUPERAntiSpyware icon in the system tray again, and select "Check for Updates."
5. After the updates are installed, restart Windows.

Very rarely, it's necessary to reinstall SUPERAntiSpyware to reset the permissions when the steps above don't resolve this issue.

Exit SUPERAntiSpyware, and uninstall using the Uninstaller Assistant:
http://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SASUNINST.EXE

Then restart Windows. Re-install the current version of SUPERAntiSpyware from our web site and register/activate and you should no longer have the problem.

Give it a try.

Collapse -
Are there ANY other programs in the list.......

In reply to: couldnt find it there...

you have on YOUR computer and are NOT compatible?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!