The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Super Collider vs Tier IV Data Center - Nerds vs Geeks

by Skeeteron_mypeter / August 16, 2006 3:01 AM PDT

Dear Buzz Out Gang,
Who would have ever thought that two powerful brainy groups would ever come at odds with each other but it has happened.

This particular matter has not received much news coverage but it has been a significant issue in the scientific and technical communities. The world renowned super conducting super collider located in south of Dallas, Texas and formerly funded by the U.S. Department of Energy has been sold to the private concern "Collider Data Center LLC" along with the investment group of J.B. Hunt.

What makes this significant is that the super collider project was built to help scientist and physicist understand the molecular structure of our universe. The Collider Data Center LLC group plans to make the facility into a Tier IV data center.

So let's put this into perspective:
--------------------------------------
So you have a group of nerdy scientist and physicist crying foul because they feel that the U.S. is loosing vital research and knowledge regarding the molecular make-up of our universe. Then you have a group of geeky engineers indicating that with the current heightened global security threats that a Tier IV data center is vital to the national security of the U.S.

So who is right?

Who currently or would use Super Collider Technology?
------------------------------------------------------
1. U.S. National Research Council
2. Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, N.Y.
3. Stanford Linear Accelerator Center at Stanford University in Menlo Park, California
4. Cornell Electron Storage Ring - Wilson Synchrotron Laboratory, Cornell University and perhaps several other major universities and laboratories throughout the U.S.

Who would use the Tier IV data center in Texas?
------------------------------------------------------
1. Credit reporting agencies such as Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
2. Critical components of the U.S. government such as the NSA, FBI, DOD, FEMA, Homeland Security and many others.
3. Banking and financial institutions
4. Data Recovery Corporations.

Both groups have their arguments for support of their interest but when it comes to development of resources, which project is in our best interest?

Here is my opinion:
--------------------
Super Collider technology is typically funded with public money that means taxpayers would be footing the bill for a new super collider.

The Tier IV data center is being funded with private money and corporations will pay for the use of the facility.

The way I look at it the Nerds need to take a back seat to the Geeks on this one.

That is my opinion...what's yours? Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Super Collider vs Tier IV Data Center - Nerds vs Geeks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Super Collider vs Tier IV Data Center - Nerds vs Geeks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why a Tier IV anyhow...
by shawnlin / August 16, 2006 4:03 AM PDT

Honestly, I don't even know that a Tier IV data center would be - but it sounds pretty top-notch regarding the security of it. I don't know why the scientists would need this anyhow - why would the material properties of the universe be kept as something like a national secret? The scientists and mathematicians are always ~50-100 years ahead of the engineers anyhow...

Sounds cool, I suppose that the private money would be a nice way to ease the tax burden...although many coporation don't pay their taxes by charging the consumer just as much to make up for it. hmmm...

Collapse -
RE: Why a Tier IV anyhow...
by Skeeteron_mypeter / August 16, 2006 9:24 AM PDT

To keep it simple, a Tier IV data center is a highly redundant multiple path facility which permits network and computer equipment to function even some of the worst situations. Many companies lost data and information during 9-11 and hurricane Katrina and now with the new threat of terrorist attacks to the communications infrastructure of the U.S., having Tier IV data centers will insure that data and communications resources are maintained. If you remember, the architecture of the Internet was meant to function even if one or more portions of the network failed. Having Tier IV data centers simply makes sure that networks work as they are suppose to. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ahhh. gotcha, thanks!
by shawnlin / August 17, 2006 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Way over my head, but give Quasar a t-shirt!
by NewOrderrr / August 17, 2006 3:33 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!