Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Super cheap Website Found for Cameras

For anyone out there I came across this site www.royalcamera.com I find that they have the cameras i want at a ridiculously cheap price... a pd170 is only 2000 dollars!!! Is this site legitamte. Is it legal?? How can it be so cheap... If anyone can please respond id appreciate it, are they a trusted seller?

robert

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Super cheap Website Found for Cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Super cheap Website Found for Cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are they FIXED units? Hiss?

In reply to: Super cheap Website Found for Cameras

The pd170 had a noted problem with hiss if the LCD was used during recording. The units that are not fixed could fins their way to such low prices.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Are they FIXED units? Hiss?

In reply to: Are they FIXED units? Hiss?

It says they are all brand new

Collapse -
May be a bad move. NEW units had the hiss.

In reply to: Re: Are they FIXED units? Hiss?

If you do this, get an agreement upfront that you'll get all your money back if the audio has HUMMmmmm or Hissss when the LCD is in use. New units had the issue and it's unclear if Sony recalled the lot and fixed them.

I hope I save a few from this trap.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Super cheap Website Found for Cameras

Where did you find them? Are they a member of the Better Business Bureau? There are many sites that offer super cheap prices on electronics that are not what they seem. You will often be dissapointed by pushy salespeople, horrible customer service, double charges on your credit card, and even a product that is not even made by the company you thought. (Sony, Canon, JVC, etc) I know you will pay more, but look for a site that is an authorized reseller of these products. You can contact any company by phone and find out if this site is authorized to sell their products. If they are not, you may want to avoid them. There are a lot of scams out there. The best site I have found is Bhphotovideo.com, they are not as cheap as some others, but still cheaper than buying in a store, and they have very reasonable warranties. They are not pushy, and have very good customer service. Shipping is also fast. Bottom line is BE CAREFUL. You may be taking a gamble with your $2000.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Super cheap Website Found for Cameras

...if i did use Credit card to purchase.... and say never got it, or it was not what it was advertised as... my credit card company allows me to dispute charges.... and i can give them the specific reason of either of those 2 and they are in catagories on the banks side... and they credit my account anytime there is an issue... no matter the sum it seems.... wouldnt this be a protection from such matters?

Collapse -
No protection from that hum and hiss problem.

In reply to: Re: Super cheap Website Found for Cameras

The product from Sony had an issue. Sony isn't talking much about it, but is silently repairing new units.

Your money, your headache. The credit card company is unlikely to help you on this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
www.royalcamera.com - bad experience on 8/9/04

I was in the process of checking out (buying a camcorder). So far i had only entered my name, address and contact phone numbers. Something came up and I could not finish the purchase. I figured since i had not yet entered my cc no. I was okay. The next morning a very, very pushy, fast talking, difficult to understand, Oriental called my office insisting that he needed my cc number. My secretary of course called me to confirm weather or not she should comply. Because no one was in a hurry to call him back - he called all of my contact numbers at least 3 times each. For some reason (probably his low price) I eventually gave this guy my card number.

Wouldnt you know it!! After he gets my card number, he calls me back and says the camera needs a battery and charger to operate and i might want to buy one to save on shipping!! I argued with him for 10 minutes just trying to get a straight answer as to what was included and what was not. The price that started out at 469 was now 600. Interestingly enough, every time I told him to cancel the order - he lowered the price by $10 or would say he was throwing in some little trinket.

I guess I should probably cancel the card....
...And I still dont know what comes with the Sony HC40

Collapse -
Good News

In reply to: www.royalcamera.com - bad experience on 8/9/04

I checked my credit card and all is well!

Collapse -
Late to the game but check out some of their TOS

"Order confirmation doesn?t constitute a final offer or contract. All orders are subject to management review and approval and if found to be invalid due to any reason, are subject to cancellation by management.

We reserve the right to cancel any international orders that do not meet our verification standards.

Please note that prices change frequently, and we cannot offer price protection on any product that has already been shipped to you."

There is a lot of negative stuff about them out there, even though they seem cheap I'd avoid them... As I am doing (in the market for a Canon 20D and they advertise one that is $270 cheeper then anything else, makes me suspicious)

Collapse -
~Look at their Great Customer Reviews~

Collapse -
You get what you pay for!

In reply to: ~Look at their Great Customer Reviews~

I still believe in that saying. Beware of all these people advertising super low prices and then not giving you the complete package. Recently I saw an item for sale at super low price. However the more normal price elswhere included a 256MB Scan Disk card as well as something else in the original package from the manufacturer. After much questioning I found out that the cheap seller had removed those items and would sell them to you separately, and guess what? The price came out to be more expensive than others.
So, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is not legit.

Collapse -

This is a legit. I recent bought a Panasonic AG from them and was very statisfied with the service.

Collapse -

I read your posting on the cnet forum. Did you find out any info on royal camera? I am shopping for a new camcorder. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steven

Collapse -
low prices

check out B&Hphotovideo.com and J&R.com compaire prices. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.