Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Sun's Java JRE ?

by zeebell / November 26, 2004 12:39 PM PST

I have been reading various posts re: Sun?s Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2_06

Wow, I?m really in the dark ages ? my version shows 1.4.0_03. Nothing is checked under the browser tab, so I guess I?m not using JRE ------ I don?t know! I think I?m using Microsoft?s Java VM 3810 --- and even that may be out of date for me. I did the jview check and 3810 is what it shows.

I AM NOT HAVING ANY PROBLEMS, and hate to make any changes since I really don?t know what I?m doing on this Java stuff. However, is it really important that I should get the 1.4.2_06 version?

I have visited Sun?s site and see where I can download the 1.4.2_06. If I would download, I?m not sure if I would know what to do anyway. If I downloaded it (I?m dial-up) to use, what would I need to do to discontinue using the MS VM?

Since I?m not having problems and use Spybot, Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, AVG and update and run the scans very frequently, what will the updated version do for me?

Maybe I should just sit tight and wait until the next time PC needs to go to the shop and ask them to set this up ? ? ? I?ve kept it well now and out of the shop for over a year.

Another question ? would this update make webpages load faster? I don?t think this is related, but figured it wouldn?t hurt to ask.

Thank you

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sun's Java JRE ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sun's Java JRE ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sun's Java JRE ?
by Donna Buenaventura / November 26, 2004 4:46 PM PST
In reply to: Sun's Java JRE ?

Hi Julea,

It is recommended to upgrade to 1.4.2_06 because it fixes a reported vulnerability by iDefense

Note: There is another version of Sun Java. It is v1.5 (or 5.0) which is also not vulnerable. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
but it seems not supporting XP SP2 yet as per its system requirement. Earlier OS is supported + XP SP1. In other forums who has XP SP2 and v1.5 (or 5.0) says no issue or problem but I always go for "required system" by the vendor.

I understand that you do not have issue with your current Java but that version has security issue. Take advantage of the fix by upgrading. If you have System Restore, use it by creating a restore point. Just in case the not-vulnerable version will not play nice Wink

MS JVM is still supported by Microsoft (until Dec. 2007). Not bad to keep it. Some says dump MS JVM because it has security issue. IMHO, most software as long as widely used has security holes. Important thing is system is patched, antivirus is up-to-date, firewall protection is enable and other safe use of Internet.

I have MS JVM and it is the default Java. I have Sun Java for non-IE browser only. I find it no issue at all but others may have which is another story Grin

Collapse -
by dawillie / November 26, 2004 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Sun's Java JRE ?

Hi Julea

I too like Donna have MS Java VM. it shipped with my XP.

it has worked fine for me in all programs requiring Java and continues to work good with SP-2.

Therefore I see no reason to 'fix'.

In any event I am using IE 6.0 for the browser and run both AD-Aware and Spybot along with KPF 2.1.5 software firewall, SP-2 default firewall and router.

I used to, when on dial up, use an additional program called System Safety Monitor, which as the name suggests MONITORS your system in much the same manner as a firewall does and can be configured to alert you if a program tries to write itself into your registry.

please have a look here and d/l if you like.

http://www.webattack.com/get/systemsafety.shtml

i found it to be effective and not a huge drain on resources.

if you are to d/l, please save the executable to a folder and then execute.

hope this helps

david

Collapse -
by Bugbatter / November 26, 2004 10:08 PM PST

More info:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/faq.asp

There are also installation instructions on Sun's website. Make sure you read these first.
The download can take almost an hour on dial-up, depending on your connection speed, of course.

Collapse -
Thank you all for your help ---
by zeebell / November 27, 2004 3:03 AM PST

I pulled a booboo -- I should have said at the beginning of my post --

Gateway 400 Select PC; Windiws 98SE; IE 6 SP1; 160MB Ram

Sorry about that -----

anyway, I truly appreciate your responses on my question. I'll do some further research and go from here. I'm a little nervous about installing it and all that, but will read the instructions first. Glad to hear that MS VM is still good until 2007.

Believe rather than download on my PC, think I'll go to our training center where I help teach PC classes. They have high-speed internet there, so I could d/l it there and put on a CD.

Thanks again one and all. You are much appreciated, as always.

Julea

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) As always Julea. You're welcome :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / November 27, 2004 3:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Julea, FWIW
by Shirley R / November 27, 2004 9:42 AM PST

I also had V.M. l.4.2_03 on my Pc, and Windows 98SE; IE 6 SP1. I downloaded the latest Sun version over top of this version and I believe it was only l.35MB and took about 5 mins. I haven't had any problems since I installed it (J2RE SE l.4.2.06).
Hope this helps.

Shirley

Collapse -
Re: Julea, FWIW
by zeebell / November 27, 2004 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: Julea, FWIW

Wow, such a short download time ---- do you have cable? The file I'm looking at to download shows it's 7.6 MB ----- that big I think.

Thanks for your info though as I'm going to get it as soon as I find out whether I should download the 32-bit or 64-bit whatever. Guess I know enough about PC's to be dangerous.

Thanks Shirley.

Julea

Collapse -
by zeebell / November 27, 2004 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: Julea, FWIW

Shirley, I see now which one you downloaded ---- I found the 1.35 MB, Windows Installation, Multi Language.

Now, I'm more confused than ever. The Windows Offline Installation, Multi Language, says 14.96 MB --- that's really huge.

What's that?

When I download something like that, I like to download and retain the file in my archives and not let it download and install from the site, never to be seen again (LOL).

I still haven't decided if I'm going to get this or not, but guess I better just for general principles.

Do you use the JRE runtime for your java or the MS VM? I've been using the VM, I think. The reason I think I'm using MS VM is because I do not have any tiks in the options in the JRE browser screen.

Julea

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Julea, FWIW

Hi Julea
Donna has a good explanation a couple of posts down but I'll give you the link to that. She explains why the difference in the download sizes. The larger one (offline one) is for people that are saving all the setup files to install it one multiple computers. I had no need for that so I downloaded the 1.35MB one but you have to let it install from the web site as soon as it is done downloading. I have a slow dialup connection and the download took about 10 minutes and the installation was somewhere around 15 minutes after that for a total time of close to a half hour. I did NOT delete the old one, I just let the new one install where the default setup wanted it to. The download and installation were succesful. It fixes some bugs and security issues so you SHOULD download it. It also gives you more things that you can do with it than before. It will add the webstart portion to the start/all programs options. It will also put an icon on the taskbar IF you want it that you can right click on for options. It will also give you access to the console portion of it through the tools option on your browser. ALSO you can get to the whole Java control panel through your own control panel and double click on the Java cup. That will bring up the Java control panel with the rest of the options, including checking for updates. Like Donna said, make sure you pick the option for the "Windows Platform". hope this explains it for you. Donna's link is here.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=47932&messageID=571293

Collapse -
by Shirley R / November 29, 2004 5:30 AM PST

Hi Julea:
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I see others have answered most of your questions. Happy

I have dial-up and I do use MS VM. I keep Sun Java because I read some time ago that MS was'nt going to support their version much longer. Thought I should have it just in case.

Good luck with your download.

Shirley

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 29, 2004 5:58 AM PST

Hi Shirley
The latest that I read on that, which was last week that, unless things change. MS will support their Java VM until December of 2007, BUT being as it is being phased out, they probably will not do much in the way of updates, security or otherwise. That last part is just my opinion but it's probably good to have BOTH applications on hand anyway.

Collapse -
by Shirley R / November 30, 2004 2:49 AM PST

Thank you Roddy, for your input. It's good to know that it will be around for a while. By the way, I read most of your posts in this forum and you are very knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you for your time and kindness in helping us!

Shirley

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 30, 2004 2:56 AM PST

Thank you for the compliment Shirley. I am still learning like everyone else in here. Maybe if we stick together we will all become experts together but I'm afraid they are always coming out with something new LOL. Grin

Collapse -
If I were to get this, would I get 32 bit or 64 bit?
by zeebell / November 27, 2004 12:25 PM PST

I don't really know what this means, but there are 2 choices for downloads that I find.

Thanks - Julea

Collapse -
Re: If I were to get this, would I get 32 bit or 64 bit?
by Donna Buenaventura / November 27, 2004 1:43 PM PST

Julea,

Get the file for Windows Platform only.

Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language (j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe, 14.96 MB) - that is for offline installation and if the user will install it to more than 1 computer or for later use.

Windows Installation, Multi-language (j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe, 1.35 MB) - it is small because it is not a complete setup file and you need connection while installing. Total filesize is depending on features that you will select.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you Roddy and Donna -- I appreciate you.
by zeebell / November 27, 2004 10:09 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're Welcome Julea.
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 10:12 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: If I were to get this, would I get 32 bit or 64 bit?
by dawillie / November 28, 2004 1:50 AM PST

believe the 32 and 64 bit refers to processing speed of the chip.

while some of the chip companies like AMD who make Athlon chips are now offering 64 bit processors [chips] the average person uses a 32 bit processor.

Collapse -
Thanks David -- I had always wondered about that -----
by zeebell / November 28, 2004 2:22 AM PST

I've seen that other times when d/ling something and always chose the 32 bit ---- guess I was lucky (LOL). I never really knew for sure, but I appreciate your clarification. I always like to learn.

Julea

Collapse -
Re: Thanks David -- I had always wondered about that -----
by dawillie / November 28, 2004 9:45 AM PST

wlcm Julea.

someday we will all be running 64 bit processors, 1GB RAM and Windows Longhorn.

then we will look back at these conversations and say, 'geez, were we really that slow??'

of course we will also be still getting posts like ' hi I think I have a virus'.

and no other information.

but we will all patiently probe to get to the problem and hopefully continue to provide solutions.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That is so true David LOL
by roddy32 / November 28, 2004 9:47 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad you're not close to retirement!!!
by zeebell / November 28, 2004 2:14 PM PST
Collapse -
Julea, It Depends On Your Needs
by Bugbatter / November 28, 2004 7:41 PM PST

If you plan on saving a backup to reinstall it should you ever need it, get this one:
Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language (j2re-1_4_2_06-windows-i586-p.exe, 14.96 MB) - that is for offline installation and if the user will install it to more than 1 computer or for later use.

Keeping an updated backup of all downloaded programs etc. is a good habit to get into because it can save you from the time consuming task of hunting around in an emergency.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for info -- that is usually what I do.
by zeebell / November 29, 2004 4:55 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You Are Very Welcome, Julea
by Bugbatter / November 29, 2004 6:27 AM PST
Collapse -
I need just a
by zeebell / November 29, 2004 11:51 AM PST

OK guys and gals -- I got it and installed it -- newest and greatest JRE 6 or whatever that # is. Currently, I have the new one and the old one loaded on PC. Should I uninstall the 03 version 1.4.0_03 java plug-in?

Or, does the new one use parts of the _03 ? When I go to control panel under the add/remove programs, both java plug ins are shown.

Too, if IE is checked under the browser tab, doesn't that mean I'm now using the runtime java instead of MS VM?
Sorry I'm so green on all this, but you know how it is -- you were there once too (LOL).

Thanks -- Julea

Collapse -
Re: I need just a
by Brent Welch / November 29, 2004 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: I need just a

Julea,

I don't think it matters whether or not you uninstall the old version first, before installing the new version, but as you've noted, installing the new version 'over top', leaves 2 entries in your Add/Remove list.

This can be solved by with a program called TweakUI, from http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,2803,00.asp

After downloading the file, double-click on it to extract the files. In Win 98SE, direct the files to be extracted to the C:/Windows/System folder. This will install TweakUI to the Control Panel. There is a tab within the program that will allow you to remove the duplicate entry for Sun Java.

Having IE checked in the browser tab does mean that you are now using Sun Java with IE. On my machine, I use MS VM for IE, and have Sun Java in use with Firefox and Opera, but it's your personal choice.

Collapse -
Re: I need just a
by zeebell / November 29, 2004 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: Re: I need just a

Thanks again Brent for the info. I'll check it out and see what I find with the TWEAK program. I've seen that referenced often here at cnet and never checked it out myself. Will do so and report back.

Too, since downloading the new JRE and using, there is a definite change in how my webpages load. Those pages having a right and left-hand frame, the right-hand frames have been very slow at loading ----- not anymore. Would the new JRE fix that -- I would not have thought so, but something sure did and it's hard to believe it is coincidental. Sure hope that part of it continues as it's like I'm on cable (and I'm in fact dial-up).

Julea

Collapse -
This is pretty high-tech stuff for 'lil ole me! (LOL)
by zeebell / November 29, 2004 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re: I need just a

I've downloaded TWEAKUI and trying to figure it out. Looks sort of scarry to me!

Julea

Collapse -
Re: This is pretty high-tech stuff for 'lil ole me! (LOL)
by Brent Welch / November 29, 2004 2:16 PM PST

Some of the things can seem a bit high tech. Just make small changes, until you are comfortable with the program.

I mostly use it to remove duplicate or orphaned Add/Remove entries, getting rid of the "Shortcut to" prefix, and using light arrows on my desktop icons.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.