Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Suicide Bombers Kill 68 in Southern Iraq

"BASRA, Iraq (Reuters) - Suicide bombers killed at least 68 people, some of them children, in co-ordinated strikes on four police stations that inflicted bloody chaos on Iraq's southern city of Basra Wednesday, officials said.

Basra mayor Wael Abdul-Hafeez accused Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network of being behind the morning rush-hour blasts."

Entire article here
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suicide Bombers Kill 68 in Southern Iraq
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suicide Bombers Kill 68 in Southern Iraq
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Would someone explain something to me.

In reply to: Suicide Bombers Kill 68 in Southern Iraq

Why, in the Islamic mind, is it OK to walk into a crowd and blow up civilians but it's not OK for Israel to kill a Hamas leader?

Collapse -
Re: Would someone explain something to me.

In reply to: Would someone explain something to me.

Hi, Diana.

The question runs both ways, though obviously the Hamas leader is a legitimate military target. But Israel appears not at all concerned about collateral damage from such attacks.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:excuse me!!!!

In reply to: Re: Would someone explain something to me.

let me see if i grasp your "runs both ways" comment...

if i understand you, if someone said "Why, in the Israeli mind is it OK to kill a Hamas leader, but it's not OK for an Islamic terrorist to walk into a crowd and blow up civilians?" you would say "it runs both ways"?

this # But Israel appears not at all concerned about collateral damage from such attacks#

the 'But' implies that israel will kill innocent civilians as long as the target is eliminated?

Collapse -
Re:Re:excuse me!!!!

In reply to: Re:excuse me!!!!

the 'But' implies that israel will kill innocent civilians as long as the target is eliminated?

There are many occasions where this has been the case, aren't there?

Dan
Collapse -
Unless...

In reply to: Re:Re:excuse me!!!!

you're guilty by just being a Palestinian...

Collapse -
Re:Unless....we are all like you charley?

In reply to: Unless...

as you and your friends find israelis guilty of just that? being israelis?

when a palestinian blows up a bus or walks into a disco, do you justify it by saying "they're only israelis"

do you think in equal terms of the taking out of a hamas leader and the blowing up of a school bus?

Collapse -
Re: Unless....we are all like you charley?

In reply to: Re:Unless....we are all like you charley?

Jonah, I don't recall Charley ever saying what you're accusing him of. You don't have to wish ill to Israelis to believe that the Israeli government has been ham-handed and iron-fisted in dealing with the Palestinians. This doesn't absolve the palestinians of blame, either -- and IMCO they deserve a lot more than the Israelis, but there's plenty of blame accrued to both sides. As is all too often the case on this board lately, you're trying to force a complex issue into a yes/no, for us or against us mold. The real world doesn't work that way.

And by this time, unless you're dyslexic, you should know his name is spelled "ie," not "ey."

Collapse -
Unless....we are all like you charley?

In reply to: Re: Unless....we are all like you charley?

'As is all too often the case on this board lately, you're trying to force a complex issue into a yes/no, for us or against us mold. The real world doesn't work that way.

one slight difference to bring before you.

Jonah LIVES in Israel, not safe and protected by homeland security in North America.

I suspect your objectivity would be a tad tarnished, were you to change places.

david williams
Collapse -
Re:me? dyslexic?

never considered it, but you may be right...

but i do know that this --> "?" is a question mark..
i also know that there were 4 in my post to charley..
i also know that in charleys post there were none!
i also took that to mean that he was making a statement, and replied as such..

now, if you have a problem with my yes/no black/white attitude when it comes to israel and charley and palestinians... i suggest you do two things:
think back and consider how many lies he's told about israel
and two, ask TPTB to ban me, cos i ain't going nowhere! and if he or his friends pull another "jenin massacre" stunt, i shall let them know in no uncertain terms what i think of them...

Collapse -
Unless....we are all like you charley?

And by this time, unless you're dyslexic, you should know his name is spelled "ie," not "ey."

Sorry Dave, it is a proper noun and therefore can be spelt phonetically.

the actual name is 'Charles', but Charlie, Charley and Chas are acceptable versions.

this is much the same as your affectation of 'Dave' which derives from the more proper 'David', but I suspect that Davey will also be acceptable.

FYI this has very little if anything to do with dyslexia.

DavidWilliams
Collapse -
This is too stupid.

In reply to: Unless....we are all like you charley?

It is a member's name and should be spelled as requested.

Here.

Dan

Collapse -
Apart from that...

In reply to: This is too stupid.

my name isn't Charles. In my passport and birth certificate it says Charlie. I am aware of the fact that a lot of people named Charles are letting others call them Charlie, but in my case Charlie IS my name...

Collapse -
I didn't know that

In reply to: Apart from that...

I have a cousin whose name is Kathy. Her parents decided that that was what she would be called anyway, so that's what they named her. I always thought it was a shame that she wouldn't have a formal name for announcements or something.

I mean Kathy Hepburn just doesn't have the ring of Katherine Hepburn.

Can you imagine them calling Charles DeGaulle, Charlie DeGaulle?

As I reread this, it looks like I'm making fun of your name and I'm not. Honest.

Collapse -
LOL!

In reply to: I didn't know that

"As I reread this, it looks like I'm making fun of your name and I'm not." - Diana

You wouldn't be the first one to do so even if it was the case so I have gotten my vaccine for that! LOL!

I was actually named after Charlie Watts. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be Ringo though... LOL! Imagine Ringo Thunell...
Collapse -
Re:LOL!

In reply to: LOL!

On the other hand, Richard Thunell doesn't sound so bad.

Wink

Collapse -
True Josh...

In reply to: Re:LOL!

The thing with my name is actually funny. My brother wanted me to be named John after Lennon. My mom felt it was too English. Brother then tried with George and the same from my mom. Then Paul, but never Ringo of course (although his real name is Richard as you say. And his last name isn't Rats backwards but Starsky, if I'm not too wrong). He did try with Mick from Jagger and my mom still refused but for some reason she gave in for Charlie... I mean, Charlie is just as English as John...

Collapse -
Re:True Josh...

In reply to: True Josh...

It's Starkey. Funny, I never thought of any of their first names as being particularly British sounding, but perhaps the perception is different if you're Swedish.

But hey, at least he didn't want to name you "?"!

Collapse -
Re:Apart from that...Now that you have so stated, Charlie it is.

In reply to: Apart from that...

david williams

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: This is too stupid.

Deliberately misspelling anyone's name is rude and detracts from whatever point the misspeller is trying to make. It's also baiting IMO when the misspelling is intentional and repeated.

If you don't think a member is worthy of enough respect to spell his/her name right, then the best course is not to respond to him/her at all.

Collapse -
Re:I agree

In reply to: I agree

my post was in response to Dave Konkel's allegation of dyslexia.

david williams

Collapse -
Re:Re:I agree

In reply to: Re:I agree

Dave's post was in response to Jonah's deliberate misspelling of Charlie's name.

Dan

Collapse -
But then again.....

In reply to: Re:Re:I agree

....Charlie has also spelled his name "D-O-N-A-L-D" and a number of other ways, so maybe some confusion is understandable.

Wink

Collapse -
Oh, BTW, Josh...

In reply to: But then again.....

BTW Josh, the name on a U.S. passport follows the name on the birth ceritficate.

Collapse -
That's exactly what he said....

In reply to: Oh, BTW, Josh...

Collapse -
I saw that, Josh...

In reply to: That's exactly what he said....

Yes, Josh, I saw that. So his U.S. passport has the name on his Sweedish birth certificate. NBD, just normal mechanics of the Department of State.

Collapse -
I agree, It was not but..................

In reply to: Re:Re:I agree

he saw fit to not only comment on it, but to give it some sort of medical twist, effectively making it a medical opinion of sorts.

I thought it fair to bring to his attention the elastic nature of certain proper names, mine and his inclusive.

I agree that it may not have been contextual insofar as his response to Jonah, but as they say in cross examination 'he opened the door'.

david williams

Collapse -
As a ''medical opinion'' it was flawed anyway....

In reply to: I agree, It was not but..................

...since a dyslexic would not type "ey" in place of "ie." A dyslexic would type "ei."

{TASTELESS JOKE ALERT}:

What is D.A.M.?

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Mothers Against Dyslexia

I warned you.

Collapse -
As a ''medical opinion'' it was flawed anyway....a killer. thanks

In reply to: As a ''medical opinion'' it was flawed anyway....

david williams

Collapse -
Re: dyslexic jokes...

In reply to: As a ''medical opinion'' it was flawed anyway....

Ok, Josh -- you asked for it.

What's a dyslexic amnesiac agnostic? He's someone who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog!

Collapse -
But you went out of your way to walk through it. -nt

In reply to: I agree, It was not but..................

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!