General discussion

Suggestions regarding ultra-zoom digital camera to buy.

Hi all.
I apologize if this is not the place for this query.

I was looking forward to buy a new Ultra Zoom digital camera, but was a little confused as to which one to go for out of the following preferred.
1. Nikon Coolpix P100
2. Nikon Coolpix P110
3. Canon Powershot SX30 IS
4. Pentax X90
5. Panasonic FZ-35/38
6. Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ100
7. Olympus - SP-800UZ
8. FujiFilm Finepix HS11

Also how about going for a dslr against these Digicams
6. NIKON D3100

Waiting eagerly for the suggestions.
Thank You.
Deepti

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Suggestions regarding ultra-zoom digital camera to buy.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Suggestions regarding ultra-zoom digital camera to buy.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No contest

A DSLR will handily beat a super zoom camera where image quality and speed are concerned. But of course a super zoom is handy, and cheap.

Of the super zooms, the best according to imaging-resource.com are the Panasonic FZ25 and Nikon P100. The newer Canon and Panasonic are probably pretty good, but I haven't seen any detailed reviews of either. Reviews I have read for the P110, X90, SP800UZ, and HS10 put them in the okay but not choice category.

Another good source for comprehensive and detailed reviews is dpreview.com.

- Collapse -
Reviews of P110

Thank You for posting.

Search on Nikon P110 didn't help much. All I could find from the net regarding Coolpix P110 is the following information.
- Standard Point and Shoot
- 30.0 x optical zoom
- 12.2 Megapixel
- CMOS
Which seems to be pretty good.
The price of P110 is less than that of P100 which made me wonder why.
Also I came to know that P110 supports interchangeable lens which was a plus point coz that'll make me little accustomed to DSLRs.
Though I could not find a detailed review of P110 anywhere, I was inclined to go for Nikon P110.
I would appreciate if you could share the link of the detailed review of P110.

Thank You.

- Collapse -
More requirements

I forgot to mention two more requirements.
With my current digi cam - Sony Cybershot-DSCW380, I can't click in night and at low lights. I want to be able to do that.
Plus the image quality should not degrade on the highest zoom for the ultrazoom camera.

Thank You.

- Collapse -
Better performance = spend more money

A super zoom is a well-spec'd compact camera. Super zoom cameras use the same size of imaging sensor as your Sony, so you shouldn't expect them to take much better photos. To get better quality photos, you need a bigger sensor, and better quality lenses. Those things come at a cost, not only in money, but in size.

- Collapse -
Review of the P110
- Collapse -
http://www.reviewgist.com/specs/nikon-coolpix-p110
- Collapse -
No such camera

Nikon does not make a P110; the picture on that page is for an L110. As I said before, no super zoom camera supports interchangeable lenses. Some offer the ability to accept adapters/converters, but these are in addition to the built-in lens.

- Collapse -
Nikon P100

Thats a big blunder I guess.
So now that leaves me in the same position.
But I was thinking to go for Nikon Coolpix P100 in that case.

Should I finalize it then?

- Collapse -
Canon SX30 v/s Nikon Coolpix P100

Both Canon SX30 IS and Nikon Coolpix P100 offer super zoom but I am more inclined towards Canon SX30 IS for its optical zoom of 35X which is the largest of the ultra zooms available I guess.
Also the reviews of SX30 are gud.

Which one of the two (Nikon Coolpix P100 v/s Canon SX30 IS) should I prefer now?

- Collapse -
Is Canon SX30 IS better?

The only hitch I found with Canon powershot SX30 IS were -
1. No boost ISO Help
Lacks boost light sensivity
2. No RAW support Help
Less editing fidelity
3. No high speed movie support Help
Not supported

But i was not able to understand are these cons a big deal? Please elaborate what can I miss because of these cons?
Also it has a CCD sensor v/s CMOS in Nikon P100. Is that a big deal too? and how does it matter what sensor the camera has?
Please suggest me one of these two digital cameras I should go for.

Thank You.

- Collapse -
Considering Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ100

Hi.
I got to know that the image quality of SX30 IS is not good.
Whats your opinion for FZ100 v/s Nikon P100.
Shall I go for FZ100 considering my requirements of high zoom and support for manual functions.

- Collapse -
Panasonic FZ100

If you don't like the images from a Canon SX30IS, you will likely not like the images from the Panasonic FZ100.

Both are using 14MP sensors placed on a sensor assembly that is the same size as the 10MP sensor assembly.

In other words, they are crowding too many pixels into a small space.
This causes more noise.

You should closely examine sample photos from a FZ100 before buying it.
I have not found any sample photos yet.

- Collapse -
Opinions

Everyone has one, and they are all different. You should get a hold of both cameras and see how they feel to you. That is more important than reading reviews and asking for other people for recommendations. Especially since most people's opinions are usually only based on the opinions of others.

On that note, here's another opinion: if you really require such a long zoom, I think you need to budget for a good tripod. While these super zoom cameras have some kind of image stabilization, I'm skeptical they can work well enough at extreme telephoto.

- Collapse -
SuperZoom Review

dpreview.com did a thorough SuperZoom review in July 2010. Though some models have been replaced by newer ones I think the reviews are helpful.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/

I had very recently purchased the Nikon P100 at an extremely good price from B&H Photo; but I returned it because I was disappointed in it for several reasons. Although I have a Nikon D90 DSLR, which I enjoy very much, I did not like the P100. The menu system was sparse and "clunky".The zoom tactile feel I thought was jerky and not a plesant experience. And the photo quality I thought was marginal, at best. B&H credited my the full amount, another reason to buy from a reputable source.

CNET Forums

Forum Info