Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Suggestions on a reliable DSL modem and wireless/router

by gdfrick122 / January 8, 2012 8:55 AM PST

Hello, Since Christmas I feel I now have pretty moderate wireless network bandwidth usage with 7 wireless devices connected. I also have 4 devices connected to Ethernet. I have an AT&T 2701HG-B Wireless Gateway/DSL router supplied by AT&T. The wireless network has started to become un-responsive since adding several additional wireless devices. I have read the Community Support posts and made the suggested changes to allow the 2701 to become more stable for now. I have heard to get the best performance from your wireless network when using several wireless devices it is better to have a separate DLS modem and connect it to a wireless/router. I would like to have any suggestions on a reliable DSL modem and wireless/router to purchase? Any advice would be appreciated. In the future I would also like to stream Netflix to my TV so even more demand will be placed on the wireless. GF

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestions on a reliable DSL modem and wireless/router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestions on a reliable DSL modem and wireless/router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
None. Surprised?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2012 1:00 AM PST

Since WiFi is open to interference from baby monitors, cordless phones, microwave ovens and the neighbor's WiFi there is no reliable system available.

This is why you wire up what you want to be more reliable.

There are a few that haven't learned this but give them time.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks R. Proffitt,
by gdfrick122 / January 9, 2012 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: None. Surprised?

Thanks for the information Proffitt. I understand that the wireless can have problems. But I want to give it the best chance I can by going with equipment that has been proven to do a good job.
Thanks
GF

Collapse -
If I use what you find in stores like
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2012 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks R. Proffitt,

Best Buy (skip the Dynex and no names), Fry's and such, I rarely have any issue. But then again I set it up just like you see in the CNET Networking Forum stickies.
Bob

Collapse -
useless answer.
by tholius / July 11, 2015 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: None. Surprised?

I'm looking for the same solution. Your reply is useless. Which DSL modem doesn't need to be rebooted every few days? Which wireless router will run for a month without needing a reboot? If you can't answer the question, don't try. My experience is that there is not a single reliable DSL modem, so you wire them to a timer that resets them every night. They last about 2 years before needing to be replaced. Much better luck with wireless routers, old link sys WAP 54Gs work really well and don't need to be reset very often -- like maybe once a month depending on how dirty your power line is.

Collapse -
This is a very old discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2015 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: useless answer.

It's been years since I had DSL but the gear provided would work for months between reboots.

The timer is an accepted workaround for clunky hardware.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!