Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Suggestions: Java IDE

by StargateFan / August 30, 2007 9:31 AM PDT

Hey everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions on a lightweigth preferably free Java IDE. When I say lightweight I mean very simplistic. Usually I either code in notepad or in a MS IDE. Although both are fine for me, in this case I need something simpler then all the added features of a Microsoft's IDE with all the extra gizmo's. And something more advanced then Notepad.

What I truly am envisioning is a IDE that just looks like a Notepad Window but has the options to execute and compile my code. Any ideas? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
(NT) Hint: ECLIPSE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2007 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggestions: Java IDE
Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by StargateFan / August 30, 2007 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Hint: ECLIPSE

I checked Eclipse out. Unfortunately it is still a little to hefty for what I want. I am looking for just a plain notepad like window capable of compiling and executing. If there isn't software out there like this one. Then I have two options I can use a Microsoft IDE or build my own. I think I will stay with the first.

Thanks

Collapse -
You compile Java?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2007 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

You may have to share the compiler. Eclipse here runs up in seconds. I didn't it to be too large. But then again I haven't run DOS in years.

Bob

Collapse -
Turns Out...
by StargateFan / September 1, 2007 4:09 PM PDT
In reply to: You compile Java?

What I am looking for is not an IDE at all. It is referred to as an editor. Which encapsulates the features of an IDE but is lightweight and more like a notepad page. Like I wanted. So problem solved.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!