HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Suggestions for speakers? 55 wpc receiver

by jpurplehayes / February 27, 2009 8:45 PM PST

I'm looking for some good speakers with base reflex. I have a mid 90's NAD 55 wpc Monitor 7100 receiver.
I want speakers with a good clean sound and not too big. Maybe around 20 inch tall bookshelf. My budget is 200 to 300 dollars new or used. Willing to save some money and add to it if needed. The room is 21x13 feet.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestions for speakers? 55 wpc receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestions for speakers? 55 wpc receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hello
by jostenmeat / February 28, 2009 4:47 AM PST

Ascend Acoustics 170 SE
PSB Image B25
Monitor Audio BR2

stretch budget $100-200
Usher 520
Ascend 340

stretch budget $300
Swan HiVi reference monitor

stretch budget $500
Ascend Sierra

these are only candidates off top of my head, and there are many more. Stuff I'm not familiar with, but would be very curious to hear include:

Paradigm
Energy
KEF

Since your NAD is old, make sure the speaker wire terminals aren't too corroded. Either strip for new wire, and/or use plugs. If using bare wire, you want/need to strip for new wire every now and then.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply, I am...
by jpurplehayes / March 1, 2009 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: hello

looking into some older KEF speakers like you suggested. The model number is 103.2. Folks on AudioKarma said they were great speakers. They are asking 200.00 for the pair.Also looking into a pair of Polk Audio speakers model RT 55, for 125.00 local, they sound good, they have two woofers in each speaker, of course with tweeter. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the info Joe

Collapse -
unless you get to hear them, and find that you love them
by jostenmeat / March 1, 2009 6:40 AM PST

i don't recommend either. Those KEFs are from the 70s, and there has just been too many speaker advancements to ignore when given 40 years or so. Also, the speakers may or may not need fixing up refurbing, perhaps capacitors, surrounds, who knows.

I am not a very big fan of Polk, but that's just one man's opinion. Again, there is the newer line of rtI, but even then will a lot of people say that some of the offerings I gave you as superior.

just my thoughts.

you ought to visit some high end stores, AND LEAVE THE WALLET AT HOME.

Wink happy hunting

Collapse -
forget those sierras
by jostenmeat / March 1, 2009 6:49 AM PST

didnt read the caption. you dont save enough to make it worth it here.

Collapse -
Thanks for the tips
by jpurplehayes / March 1, 2009 7:00 AM PST

Yea I read the Polk rt 55s, have no base.

I currently own a pair of Boston Acoustic CR 57's(10 inches tall) I bought a little over a year ago. I like the way they sound hooked up to my two way older NAD 7100 Monitor series(60 wpc) in good shape. Can I hook up a good subwoofer to this older receiver, if so how do I do it? I'm thinking if I have a little more base with my BA speakers that would work for me. I have my tv and dvd/cd player hooked up to it. I'm not interested in surround sound or something super booming, just a good bass sub. If I look for a small sub a few years old used what would i look for at a reasonable price?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
ok
by jostenmeat / March 1, 2009 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the tips

first of all, it's not spelled base, but bass. thanks.

yes, you can use your NAD: you'll use the speaker wire directly to sub, and then another pair of speaker wires from sub to speakers.

your sub will be self powered, and will not demand more of your amp, and obviously you will need speaker level, aka high level, inputs and outputs. it will obviously have its own xover, of which point you can choose. some subs are more flexible than others, w/o gettin into detail

problems are not many choices at budget.

how about this
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-450-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235952317&sr=1-3

it's probably more of a boomer than "tight", but believe it or not, the biggest factors of boomy vs tight have to do with your room's acoustics, acoustical treating or lack thereof, sub placement, and listener placement.

this sub should have high level inputs/outputs

your speakers have limited extension, and that would make having a sub with more linear response into higher bass as desirable.

however, i wouldnt know what to recommend with the above in mind. I would guess* that you might find what you are looking for in a sealed subwoofer, at the expense of output efficieny, and higher cost. you'd need at least $500-600 to start getting some selection with good sealed subs, AFAIK

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.