Computer Help forum

Question

Suggestions for best manufacturer desktop PC

by ramonahailes / June 20, 2012 3:56 PM PDT

Looking for a new desktop PC and would value suggestions on best performance. Also, any advice on All-in-ones -v- Towers would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestions for best manufacturer desktop PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestions for best manufacturer desktop PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I will just say
by Jimmy Greystone / June 21, 2012 12:40 AM PDT

I will just say that all-in-ones should be avoided like the plague. Nice idea, but so poorly executed most of the time it's detrimental to the longevity of the unit, plus you add in the tradeoffs from laptops, like less room for heat dissipation making them ill suited for gaming of anything above about solitaire level.

As for the rest... Virtually everyone uses Foxconn over in China to assemble the things, so I'm not sure there's much of a difference in quality anymore. You might well find that the same sweat shop conscripts are building machines for HP, Dell, and Acer all in the same day. So then it just comes down to how easy/difficult it is to get the thing fixed if something should go wrong.. And based on my experience, that means you want to avoid Acer at all costs. Part of how they remain so cheap is they don't stock warranty repair parts. They produce enough materials to build X number of units, and then they move on to a new model once that supply is exhausted. I worked at a repair depot for a retailer once, and Acer was always a problem. Most of the time I think the units had to be replaced because we simply couldn't get parts, even when the units were under manufacturer warranty.

Also, Acer owns Gateway and eMachines as brands most in the US might be familiar with, and I'm pretty sure they also own Packard Bell for our European friends. Acer, at least in the US, has made little secret that they are the ones behind those brands now, plastering their own logo right next to the old logos, but just FYI.

Collapse -
All-in-ones -v- tower
by ramonahailes / June 21, 2012 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I will just say

Thank you for that....most helpful

Collapse -
Suggestions for best manufacturer desktop PC
by Boston / June 22, 2012 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I will just say

I like to multitask with my desktop PC. In the past I have bought Dells (all top of the line). My last Dell, a Dimension XPS (with MS Windows XP), worked solidly with no hitch at all for 7 (yes, seven) years!
In the last few years Dell has stopped making PCs powerful enough for my needs (probably because they bought Alienware, and Alienware lacks the level of customization that I need).

I bought an AVADirect - custom made - 2.5 years ago, and the machine is a "rocket". I can only recommend AVADirect for powerful, solid, custom made PCs.

Collapse -
AVADirect builds a solid product
by dbert / June 23, 2012 3:33 PM PDT

I have an AVADirect computer too. I agree with your assessment.

Collapse -
Answer
Tell more about performance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 1:28 AM PDT

We use servers to give best performance at databases.
We use cloud (sea of servers) computing when we need a bunch of machines to act as one or many.
We use Gaming Desktops to play games.
We use a higher powered CPU desktop to do desktop scientific or video editing.

There are more examples but the best manufacturer is not the name on the unit most of the time. While Apple's Mac Pro is one very well made desktop PC you might not know Apple does not manufacture it.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) who makes the mac book pro for apple?
by thethriftyfox / June 22, 2012 11:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I think that is answered at google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 2:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Support!
by Flatworm / June 23, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

The manufacture of a desktop PC is nearly irrelevant any purchasing decision.

The two things to look for are bang for the buck and the quality of user support. These you will need to research on your own. Best bang for the buck varies from brand to brand, day to day, retailer to retailer, and sale to sale (but it is NEVER, EVER from Apple!). Acer tends generally to stand out for value at any given level of performance.

Stay away from anything proprietary (another reason to avoid Apple). Any part or feature in most desktop PCs that fails or doesn't meet your needs can usually be augmented or replaced fairly easily and cheaply.

And I really don't see the purpose of these "All-in-One" touchscreen PCs. All it does is slow you down and get greasy fingerprints all over your monitor, without any real added value but at significant additional expense at purchase time.

If you have any confidence whatsoever in your own mechanical skills, you can beat anything you can buy in a store -- both for power and price -- if you build it yourself. It's BY FAR easier and quicker than you even IMAGINE it will be, with the bulk of the effort going into planning and purchasing the components. The actual assembly is really quite easy; all you generally need for tools is a set of precision screwdrivers that can be purchased just about anywhere for a couple of bucks -- and there are HUNDREDS (maybe thousands) of YouTube videos that will help you, some tailored to specific motherboards and processors.

If you do it right, you can get a machine that will match a $10,000 Alienware or Falcon Northwest (in all but external cosmetics, and some of those Antec, Thermaltake and Cooler Master cases are pretty nice) gaming machine for around $2,000, or get comparable savings at any performance point. And it will be YOURS, and by the end of putting it together you'll know everything inside it and how to replace it easily if it fails.

And then you won't have to put up with their "throw-in" monitors, keyboards and mice. These are very important features -- they're how you actually experience the computer -- and you'll have money left to go high-end. For me the keyboard is particularly critical to my enjoyment of the experience, so I go with the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, which is so much better than any other keyboard I have ever used that it's just sick.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.