PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Suggestions for a dead (?) external hard drive?

by Ark242 / November 2, 2009 3:56 PM PST

Hi folks, hopefully you can give me some tips on how I can proceed with a malfunctioning external hard drive.

The hard drive is a Lacie 500gb USB 2.0 drive. It's about a year and a half old. I'm running Win XP. (Further details provided upon request).

I went away for the weekend, powered down the computer but left the HD powered on. When I returned I noticed my clocks were flashing around the house and assumed the power had gone out for a time. After powering my computer back on, the hard drive no longer functions.

The device manager recognizes that a USB mass storage device is connected but gives a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" error. It even recognises that it is a "LaCie Hard Drive USB". The drive's power light comes on and it is quiet. When I press my ear to it I can hear a very soft "click-click-click", not the sound of metal on metal but the normal volume of a hard drive operating. Dskmgmt does not recognize it. Different usb ports solve nothing.

I plugged it into my wife's computer with the same power cord yet different USB cord, (she has a similar drive that uses a different power cord) and got exactly the same results as on my computer.

Is there anything I can try to restore the drive? Since it's not grinding away I have some, but little, hope.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestions for a dead (?) external hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestions for a dead (?) external hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: drive damaged
by Kees Bakker / November 2, 2009 4:21 PM PST

It's either the electronics of the case or the drive itself.

If it's the case, take the drive out and put it in another case. That's $20 or so.
If it's the drive, find drivesavers.com or krollontrack.com. That's $1000 or so.

Collapse -
by FixItRepair / November 2, 2009 4:49 PM PST
In reply to: Re: drive damaged

Sorry but this doesnt make sense Sad It's an external USB Harddrive, how could he take it out of the case?

Unless I missed something in the original post, the HardDrive is rather dead. Have you tried booting it with a different operating system, or using any type of HardDrive recovery software?

Your original post as quite thorough, so I am going to assume 'No' to both of the above questions.

If you can't try it on a different operating system, such a Linux distribution or even a Mac OS, try using a HDD Recovery Tool. PC Inspector Data Recovery should help, it has helped me a few times but of course you need to know that it isn't always perfect.

Collapse -
Re: external hard drive
by Kees Bakker / November 2, 2009 4:53 PM PST
In reply to: What

With a screwdriver or another appropiate tool, open the case and take the disk out. That's the reverse from putting it IN the enclosure. Did you never do?

By the way, I just deleted about 10 of your posts where you advertised your new own website/forum. Site promotion like that isn't allowed here. But as long as you don't do that, you're very welcome to help our members, of course.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?