Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Suggestions about data recovery desperately needed.

by grendel_cajun / January 19, 2007 12:07 AM PST

I did not know exactly WHERE in the forums to post this question, so any suggestions for a better location this thread should be placed is welcome.

Well, my OS is Windows XP. I have two hard drives, my F:\ drive is my master drive that my OS is on, and my C:\ drive is a slave drive which contains all of my collected data. Recently I have been getting this error when trying to access my slave drive:

C:\ is not accessible.
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I guess this means that all of my data is still on the C:\ drive, the C:\ drive is working correctly and healthy, but the access has somehow been damaged and I need to use some sort of Data Recovery Software to retreive it at which time I could reformat the C:\ drive for use again?

First, my question would be if I have all of that correct.
Second, I desperately need to know of a good Data Recovery Program that will help me out.

Thanks so much for all who respond with their expertise,
Nathan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestions about data recovery desperately needed.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestions about data recovery desperately needed.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
F: drive is not the C: drive
by DarCLew2 / January 19, 2007 2:54 AM PST

I can see there is a big problem here. you say: "C:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
If it is unreadable, how will you make a dead HD read?, so you installed another and it is F:? Sane all the date you can, get rid of the useless harddrive (C:), take to a repair shop and see if your data is retriveable. Because if that hard drive, your other one has the wrong letter. Do you have a zip drive also, for that can create the wrong letter. It should have been C: as the Master but you had used that letter already with a bad drive. You will have to reinstall your WINXP. When it starts, it should say C:\ I use B for my choice so I can delete everything on that hard drive first and format using the entire Mster hard drive.

Collapse -
It worked for awhile
by grendel_cajun / January 20, 2007 8:13 AM PST

Yah, I noticed that about my drive letters instantly when I loaded Windows XP back onto my system. See... My system was set up like it should be at one time. My master was the C:\ drive and had my OS on it. My slave was the F:\ drive and held all of my collected data. I had to replace my motherboard and of course Windows XP deemed that a "major change" so I had to format my C:\ drive and reupload Windows onto it. However, after I was done getting it all situated, the two drives had been switched. The drive that had once been the master C:\ drive was now my master F:\ drive and the slave F:\ drive was now the slave C:\ drive. This was fine for awhile. Everything worked. I used and saved data on the slave drive for about a month or so. Then all of a sudden it gives me that error I specified in my earlier message and locks me out of my slave drive. I figure if I get a decent Data Recovery Program I'll be able to retrieve the data from the slave drive and then reformat it for use. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for anyone who tries to help out,
Nate

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!