Computer Help forum

General discussion

Suggestion on HP and Lenovo Laptop

by dazzle-design / December 19, 2007 12:12 AM PST

Dear sir,

I am looking to buy a new laptop for multimedia designing ( like graphic designing, creating special effects, web designing etc)

I have narrowed down between HP Pavilion dv2601tx and Lenovo Y410 775742Q

Could you please suggest which one of the above laptops is better ?

Also, do the above laptops have any issues with performance etc?

Please assist

Awaiting Your Reply.
Warm Regards

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestion on HP and Lenovo Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestion on HP and Lenovo Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In general
by Jimmy Greystone / December 19, 2007 12:51 AM PST

In general, HP systems have lousy quality. Before IBM sold it's computer business to Lenovo, it was probably the #2 maker for quality, nipping at the heels of Apple who still holds the #1 slot. I don't know if Lenovo has made any significant changes to the system they bought from IBM, but if they haven't, then Lenovo systems are still likely very high quality.

One thing to watch out for though is integrated graphics. For what you're looking to do, I wouldn't settle for any system with integrated graphics.

Collapse -
Integrated Graphics Card
by dazzle-design / December 19, 2007 7:40 PM PST
In reply to: In general

Hi,

Is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, an integrated graphics card ?What about NVIDIA?

Please explain the difference between integrated and non-integrated graphics card.

Please assist.

Thanks

Collapse -
Yes and no
by Jimmy Greystone / December 19, 2007 10:57 PM PST

Yes and no, the Intel GMA is integrated graphics and the nVidia one is not. Intel only makes integrated graphics, so any time you see Intel, you know it's integrated graphics.

The main difference is one of performance. Integrated graphics don't have as many features in hardware as regular graphics cards, so they're generally much slower for gaming and other graphics intensive things. They also do not have their own dedicated supply of RAM, but rather use the main pool of RAM for the entire system. Your system may be advertised as having say 512MB of RAM, and it may have 512MB of RAM in it, but with integrated graphics you will likely find about 64MB of that being reserved for the integrated graphics.

There are two distinct advantages to integrated graphics on the whole however. One is that they are cheap since they don't support a lot of advanced video features in hardware. The other is that they don't require as much power, which translates into longer battery life on a laptop.

Collapse -
Reply to IN GENERAL
by dazzle-design / December 20, 2007 3:18 PM PST
In reply to: In general

Hi,

I require a laptop with great multimedia performance (for graphic designing, web designing, creating animation and sound effects etc)

I would like to know the positives and negatives of

1. HP Pavilion dv2601tx

2. Lenovo Y410 775742Q

Please assist.

Collapse -
Like I said...
by Jimmy Greystone / December 21, 2007 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to IN GENERAL

Like I said, quality wise, HP systems tend to be bottom of the barrel. If you get an HP laptop, expect to have to replace it within 2 years. You're also likely to have numerous issues associated with poor hardware quality and all the additional software HP bundles. For example, it was recently discovered that an ActiveX control shipped with most HP/Compaq systems could be exploited to corrupt the operating system and render it non-bootable.

Lenovo systems, working on the assumption they haven't significantly changed anything about the manufacturing process since acquiring it all from IBM, will likely cost more and have lesser specifications but will be much more durable and far less problematic.

If you accidentally dropped an HP and Lenovo laptop off a table or your lap, for example, I would expect it far more likely that the HP laptop would suffer some kind of significant damage such as a broken hinge on the display. I would also expect the HP laptop to be designed to look nice rather than be effective at channeling heat away from sensitive components that could be damaged by excessive heat. This could become a huge issue with a laptop.

This is all aside from the fact that the things you mention are tasks much better suited to a desktop system due to often requiring large amounts of RAM, CPU power, and even screen real estate. I'm not going to tell you which you should buy, that's your decision, I will merely give you some useful information for making that decision. Follow Bob's advice and go find some reviews of each unit and then pick the one that seems best to you given everything you know.

Collapse -
Compaq, HP, Dell (most models) are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2007 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Reply to IN GENERAL

Like your Ford and Chevy line up. Not the best of engineering and factory produced to deliver fair value for the buck. Certainly nothing compared to those very nice Panasonic Toughbooks but you are not paying much for this either.

Most of us do fine with the models you listed.

Bob

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 1:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Reply to TRY THIS
by dazzle-design / December 19, 2007 7:35 PM PST
In reply to: Try this.

Hi,

I am not looking for gameplay. I require a laptop with great multimedia performance (for graphic designing, web designing, creating animation and sound effects etc)

I would like to know the positives and negatives of

1. HP Pavilion dv2601tx

2. Lenovo Y410 775742Q

Please assist.

Collapse -
For that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2007 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Reply to TRY THIS

Find reviews on both. For me to do this (for free) is asking a bit much. We already covered one as pretty nice except for RAM.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?