General discussion

Suggestion on 40" LED?

My wife and I are considering the Samsung UN40C6500. However, we're wondering if we should wait for the 7000 or 8000 series to become available before we purchase. Reviews of the 2010 line-up seem hard to find, and while 3D is offered in the 7000/8000 series, I'm not sure if that feature justifies the additional cost.

Does anyone know of any real benefits of the 7000/8000 series over the 6500? We're primarily interested in PQ, along with the convenience of Ethernet (or, preferably, wireless) Internet features. I'd love to get my hands on the 2010 9000 model, but I understand it doesn't come in a 40" version.

Aside from the 2010 Samsung series, would anyone suggest a better 40" LED model from a different manufacturer? We've generally had good luck with Samsung, but one unit had to be completely replaced (during the warranty period) two years ago and another (19" LCD) had to be repaired (during the warranty period) a year ago. So I'm starting to wonder about quality control.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Suggestion on 40" LED?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Suggestion on 40" LED?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
is 40" required?

If you would be willing to go to a 47", i would recommend the 47LH90. I have been researching LED TVs non-stop for about a month now, and this one seems to be the standout best bang for buck. It has deeper blacks than any of the Samsung TVs, and is FULLY backlit instead of edge backlit like the 7000 and 8000 series Samsungs. The samsungs tend to have brighter areas in the corners of the TV and when bright colors are next to blacks, they bleed a little bit.

The 3D to me seems more of a gimmick (only available in C7000 series.) A pair of 3D samsung glasses cost ~$350 and also need a 3D Blu-Ray Player to take advantage of it.

The 47LH90 is the Consumer Reports top selection. CNET has it ranked #1. CNET has it ranked #4 overall (~$1000 less than any TV ranked above it and less issues in Buyer Reviews all over the internet)

The 47LH90 starts at ~$1400 at reputable online dealers.

Of all the reviews posted by buyers online, only 1 issue ever seemed to show up, and that was a Lip Syncing issue. This issue stayed around for a while, but was fixed in the Jan 2010 production patch (all TVs manufactured Jan2010 and later are fixed.) There are still all of the above listed problems for the samsung appearing in the new makes.

That being said, if you are truely looking for a 40", none of that mattered (at least in regards to the LG.) The Samsung is a very high quality product and would be the next best choice. Any of the 7000, 8000, 8500 are all good. Avoid the 5000 series like the plague, since it is plagued with problems. The only 40" model for Samsung worth buying would be the C7000 (the 3D model) and is ~$2000. (fyi, the next size step up for samsung from 40" is the 46")

Hope this at least helped a little!

- Collapse -
40" LED

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, 40" is all I have room for. I agree with you regarding the 3D feature -- it sure sounds like a gimmick. That said, I will take a look at the UN40C7000 and see what kind of prices I can find. I was actually leaning toward the 7000 as opposed to the 6500 anyway.

Thanks again.

- Collapse -
B7000

If you wanted to save ~$300 to give up the 3D, you could go with the UN40'B'7000 instead of UN40'C'7000... $1500 vs $1800 for the cheapest i could track down. Outside of the 3D, i couldnt tell a difference in person

- Collapse -
correction

$500 savings... B7000 is only $1300 at some high rated online stores.. Ideally the best thing you can do is go into a place like "The Home Theatre Store" where they have all TVs hooked up to Blu-Ray and calibrated, etc... Also, avoid Toshiba too... their quality has continuously gone down hill for the like 7 years or so

- Collapse -
40" LED

Thanks all.

CNET Forums