Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Suggestion from a paranoid member re: Grisoft's AVG

by zeebell / January 17, 2006 3:12 AM PST

I get the idea sometimes that many people get AVG updates automatically. I have some of my utilities set for automatic updates, but that isn't good enough for me! Call me paranoid, but thus far, it has paid off. I'm one that also checks things manually.

As easy as it to check for updates with AVG, EACH time BEFORE I check my email, I right click on the AVG icon in the navigation tray and left click on Check for Updates. It either gets an update in a matter of seconds or tells me there are none to get. How simple can this be?

The other programs I use are just about as simple, only that I have to physically open the program to check for updates. But hey, it's worth it to me. I don't check those as often as AVG, but I do check probably more that actually needed. Like I said, call me paranoid, but I've probably been called worse.

Just a suggestion was a long-time AVG user. A manual check might save your hide (LOL)!

Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestion from a paranoid member re: Grisoft's AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestion from a paranoid member re: Grisoft's AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Everyone's different.
by Bob__B / January 17, 2006 5:50 AM PST

Some folks find it a great hardship to do a daily manual update of their crudware scanners.

Some folks just forget.

Some folks don't know these things need to be updated.

I suppose the set-it-and-forget-it feature/auto update is a nice thing or better then nothing.

I'm not a trusting type,belt+suspenders,perk coffee pot etc,so I do these things in a manual fashion.

However when I think of the GAZILLION users who think they have a home entertainment system (turn it on/enjoy) maybe auto update is a good thing.

Collapse -
bob b - you are right about one thing
by zeebell / January 17, 2006 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Everyone's different.

It's amazing to me how many people do not know that utilities must be updated regularly. I help teach computer classes for our local computer club, and it's just amazing the number that don't know. They think when they purchase a program and install, that's all that's required. They soon learn. Auto is better than nothing.

Julea

Collapse -
You're Not Alone, Julia ! As Another Paranoid Member.......
by tobeach / January 17, 2006 1:18 PM PST

I do all my updates manually. I do AVG every day b-4 mail and usually check here for the notice on others before going after them. Knowing how often they update on average helps.
Unfortunately, didn't save me from WMF attack, but at least I knew immediately what it was and took appropriate action.
That's why this is the 1st place I go on web each day.
Be happy! Grin

Collapse -
Did you realized, that the people
by Melati Hitam / January 17, 2006 2:57 PM PST

who read this kind of forum is the paranoid type??

As you can see, its only a bunch of people that really know and/or want to know...

The rest of the world is either doesn't know, doesn'care or just plain don't want to know, usually beginner and Bosses.

cheers...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) well said and so very true.
by dawillie / January 17, 2006 10:13 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I 2ND That Notion!! :-)
by tobeach / January 18, 2006 1:40 PM PST
Collapse -
Julea
by Alan Copeland / January 17, 2006 10:42 PM PST

You are not paranoid, you are wise. I set AVG to check for updates and run a full scan an hour later. The problem is that you never know when they will update, so I check here regulary during the day. Sometimes AVG and Ewido have beat me to the punch, but often they haven't. I don't want to take a chance on the difference. As you said, Ad Aware, Spybot S&D adn others can be checked less frequently.

I used to do an AV update only when I had to, but I nearly got hit a couple of years ago (ZA caught one that my outdated Norton didn't) and I have become a fanatic since then.

To quote an old joke, I may be paranoid, but they really are out to get me.

Collapse -
It's all in how someone uses
by EZRIDER714 / January 18, 2006 1:45 AM PST

their system. My thought is If the update came out 4 hours before you click and check manually, My system has been updated for 4 hours already automatically.
Not that I don't verify such. The more important the program the sooner I want the latest update.
Hasn't failed me yet.
EZ

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.