The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Suggestion for the Podcast in general

by Slikkster / February 14, 2008 7:36 AM PST

Hi Tom/Rafe:

I've been thinking about this for awhile, and thought I'd run it by you guys and the forum folk:

Let me start with one truism: No one can be an expert on every topic, tech or otherwise.

That said, I've been thinking about how a format change in the podcast might benefit all (again, just my humble opinion).

How about this: Why not do interviews with experts on particular topics, rather than trying to cover all the bases on a subject that you both might not be "expert" in? You (Tom/Rafe) could present your questions, and/or questions from forum members to these geniuses in their field, and everyone would learn in the process. This doesn't have to be in-person interviews; phoners would be fine.

I'm not saying that this should or needs to be done with EVERY topic, either. Obviously you both have a wealth of knowledge on a variety of subjects that can be passed along very effectively in the podcasts. But to me, it sometimes sounds like you both are kind of feeling your way around when presenting this information, rather than possessing the detailed knowledge of the subject matter that one would ideally want to have when presenting it in a podcast.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for considering.

Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestion for the Podcast in general
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestion for the Podcast in general
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Silence is Deafening
by Slikkster / February 24, 2008 12:27 AM PST

heheh I guess I have my answer. File 13!

Collapse -
Guest Guru? I like it.
by punterjoe / February 24, 2008 1:59 AM PST

I suppose the only question is, if you're asking an expert about stuff you don't know, how can you be sure they're really an expert and not a convincing bluffer (or sincerely misinformed).
Hmm. Maybe they could do a "guess the real expert" episode where they have 3 guests and only one really knows what they're talking about. It could be a tech twist on the old 'to tell the truth' gameshow format, where the audience could submit a single question for a single guest and in the end vote on which of the experts is 'the real deal'. Actually, that idea may be better suited for CNET-Live (say April fools edition).
Still, I really like the idea of a visiting expert cameo. Easy for me to say, since I don't have to do any of the extra work to setup or produce the podcast. Happy

Collapse -
It is an excellent idea
by acedtect / February 25, 2008 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: Guest Guru? I like it.

And I've tried to do it in the past. I got Cory Doctorow for DRM for instance. And it's something I'd like to do mroe of. The problem is time and resources. I, like PunterJoe, want to get true experts, which means ferreting them out contacting them and booking them. Not making excuses here, but I only have so much of my week I can devote to RD, so I don't want to promise something I can't deliver on. Thats why I've always been open to having guest experts on but never made it a standardized part of the show.

But the premises here are all very very god.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.