Cameras forum

General discussion

Suggestion for a Premium Compact

by damanr / August 31, 2010 12:38 AM PDT

Hi!
I m looking for a DSLR substitute (Premium Compacts).

After browsing here and there I've finally decided upon these models :
1. Canon PowerShot SX20IS
2. Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR
3. Nikon Coolpix P100
4. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35
5. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1

Which one is a better option? I want a good picture quality, after all that's what a camera is for.

So please help me decide. Any suggestion and feedback will be highly appreciated.

Daman

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggestion for a Premium Compact
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggestion for a Premium Compact
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Me too
by rcme70 / August 31, 2010 4:47 AM PDT

Im trying to figure out what to buy too, I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix P100 at Best Buy the other day, I like how the menu work and found it mught be a good pick but then I was looking at the reviews on and they wer'nt so good, so now I still dont know.

Collapse -
Super Zoom Comparison
by PistonCupChampion / August 31, 2010 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too
Collapse -
Premium Compacts
by PistonCupChampion / August 31, 2010 4:55 AM PDT

Seems like you have left off your list the best premium compacts, namely the Canon G11, Canon S90/S95, Panasonic DMC-LX3/LX5, and Samsung TL500/EX1. But I assume you want a lens with more zoom range. B?TW, most of the ones on your list are not classified as compacts, but super zooms (they won't fit in any kind of pocket.) Of those on your list, the Panasonic is probably the one with the most positive critical reviews.

If you can stretch your budget a bit more, you might want to look at the compact interchangeable lens cameras. These will come closest to DSLR performance (super zooms have much too small sensors to come close to matching DSLR's in image quality.)

Collapse -
thank u
by damanr / August 31, 2010 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Premium Compacts

Thank u guys...that was indeed quite helpful. Any further suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Collapse -
SuperZoom Camera
by camera_ / September 1, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

From the options you have listed Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 is the best one to go with.I had used a Panasonic LX2 for several years and liked it, so I thought why not again try for the same brand and the camera really work great for me. Here you can check out for photos
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ35-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B002IKLJU0/?tag=cfrm-new-20

My friend has purchased the Canon SX20IS and I was just playing with his camera found the images just a bit too soft for me. Since image quality is the thing I was looking for I went with Panasonic. Along with best image quality some of the best point are ability to shoot HD video and also has excellent macro mode.

Collapse -
Super Zoom Camera.
by vickidavo / September 3, 2010 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: SuperZoom Camera

Hi, I have a SLR canon camera which I took to South Africa twice, Europe, USA and many more. On my last trip I fell and broke the long lens on my camera so I went and bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 and I am very happy with it in every way. The zoom is fantasic and it takes the very best pictures.I don't think I will ever use my SLR again as this is so easy to carry around and to me it does the same job.It is a great little camera.

Collapse -
AKA ZS7
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 4, 2010 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Super Zoom Camera.

The Panasonic TZ10 is also know as ZS7 in the USA.

Collapse -
thank u
by damanr / September 6, 2010 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: SuperZoom Camera

Thank u guys for your helpful and informative reviews and suggestions. I hasdmyself narrowed it down to Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 and Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR. Since there ain't any good Pansonic outlets here, I was thinking of getting the Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR as there is a good Fuji showroom here and I can get a decent service too. Has any one used this camera? How is it Performance n picture quality wise?

Collapse -
Low-light performance, image quality or zoom as priority?
by conceptedge / September 6, 2010 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: thank u

If you want good low-light performance: Panasonic LX3 or LX4 are excellent choices as it comes with f/2.0 aperture, which enables you to take photos without flash to get more natural color.

The Sigma DP-2 is a fixed lens camera with Foveon sensor that captures each color individually and has a DSLR-size sensor.
You can get exceptional image quality from it and very nice bokeh.
The bokeh effect is something you just can't get from compact cameras that have small sensors unless it's a marco photo.

But if zoom is more important, then neither of the above are your choice. Though to fit a lot of zoom in a small compact they have to sacrifice image quality and clarity.

Collapse -
thanks
by damanr / September 6, 2010 4:29 PM PDT

thank u conceptedge.....that was really informative. Will keep these things in mind.... i wanted to know the performance of Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR...any idea?

Collapse -
If you want real world opinions...
by make_or_break / September 8, 2010 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

...try searching on Amazon.com for the camera and look at the user/owner reviews. If you want 'professional' reviewer opinions, there's always Google.

Personally, I haven't been a fan of Fuji's earlier electronic viewfinder efforts with previous models that were configured like the S200EXR. A former coworker had a predecessor model to this particular Fuji design. Too sluggish and somewhat grainy. Picture quality was fair to good for the time. But perhaps Fuji has improved things quite a bit since the last time I looked at and used one of their camera designs like this one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?