Any forum seems to be a magnet for spam. Unless you get a spambot in there or hand out admin edit, delete to your forum managers you'll learn why in just a day why this is a big omission.
I looked again just a few minutes ago and PHPBB and didn't get the feeling it was not "modern."
If you want "modern" you may find yourself in a discussion like this.
Then again, maybe you just want the usual WordPress Forum? https://www.google.com/#q=forum+for+wordpress
Just wondering if anyone has any suggested free or open source forum software that they know of.
- I don't mind using a sub domain (I actually don't have one of my own )
- I have looked into NodeBB (can't find anyway to simply host it for free), Discourse (can't get it for free), PHPBB (too complicated) and several other php forum software (they all looked to complicated and/or too ugly!). My favorite, so far is CodoForum, but it does not have much support and not many features.
I know it's asking for a lot, but these are the ideal things I'd like:
1. Simple to install (preferably able to be downloaded in zip format and installed on a host (GrendelHosting) or hosted FREE online)
2. Half decent customizations (I'd quite like things like desktop notifications etc.)
3. Looks modern and stylish (if possible, but at least simple)
4. Is reliable & easy to update
5. Obviously be able to host on GrendelHost (supports PHP 5.2, 5.3 & 5.4)
I know this sounds a bit fussy, but I have already done quite a bit of Googling and I don't want to just continually be going around in circles.
Look forward to any responses or suggestions!
P.S. I think I have all the major features I was wanting. But if there is anything I should know about any of the forum software that you are about to suggest please let me know!