Linux forum

General discussion

Suggest a Distro PLEEEZ

by bigfoot360 / August 21, 2007 5:16 AM PDT

Hello Everyone

I have been using since a long time and I decided like many people to switch to Linux because from now on I will be trying my best to use only Open Source programs and then I guess Linux would be good enough.

If I am going to use Open Source programs all the time or most of the time, do you think all or most of them will work with Linux?

I am looking for an easy to use distro. I have decided to use Ubuntu but I was wondering if there is anything better out there.

I would prefer a Live CD and only one CD not multiple. This is not necessary but would be a big help.

Oh and plz I want it to be very easy to use. I am afraid kind of the command line. Happy I want it to be as easy to use as Windows (doesnt sound like a good comparison).

Does Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory work with Linux? Is there a good CSS editor as good as or better than CSSEdit 2 on the Mac? Is there any way to get something like Expose from Mac OSX to work with Linux?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suggest a Distro PLEEEZ
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suggest a Distro PLEEEZ
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Speed
by bigfoot360 / August 21, 2007 5:28 AM PDT

I forgot to mention the biggest thing for me: speed and responsiveness. I want the distro to start up quickly (meaning really quickly) and that it doesnt lag or take time in opening apps or accessing menus etc.

Collapse -
Transparency
by bigfoot360 / August 21, 2007 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Speed

As for the GUI, I do really lie the Vista's glassy looks so if adter all other considerations there is a distro with a Vista look then that would be great.

Collapse -
Speed....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

I find the older and smaller distros to boot and run faster. They run faster since most don't have all the GLITZ. The downside is you may not find it to support your newer hardware.

Let me share the LiveCD distros I carry with me.

1. PCLinux 2007
2. PCLinuxOS .93a (smaller, faster boot, but...)
3. DSL (Damn Small Linux) (very small, very fast boot and use.)

Bob

Collapse -
some
by welrdelr / August 21, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

Zenwalk is another.

You have to look into Linux gaming for the answer.
And you must look for comparative programs.

Collapse -
These three...
by bigfoot360 / August 21, 2007 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: some

Thanks for the suggestions.

ummm I found a website which basically asked me questions and then suggested some distros for me. The ones that were good for me are Mandriva, Ubuntu, OpenSuse. Which one would you say is better for me? I read somewhere that OpenSuse has a slow start up and the system speed is also not great. Is it true?

What differences are there between Ubuntu and Mandriva? For some reason despite the slow speeds, I am leaning towards OpenSuse because it looks darn good (not as good as Mac OSX).http://en.opensuse.org/Screenshots/openSUSE_10.3

Collapse -
My specs
by bigfoot360 / August 21, 2007 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: These three...

My computers specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8 Ghz
768 MB DDR RAM
Nvidia GeForce FX5200

How can I make OpenSuse 10.2 look exactly like the screenshots (I gave aa link to) of 10.3?

Collapse -
Anyone?
by shahrokhan / August 21, 2007 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: My specs

PLEEEZ?

Collapse -
Not to make light of things, but...
by ahtoi / August 22, 2007 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: My specs

after all it's only a splash screen (about a few minutes?). There is always that one solution; upgrade to 10.3 (and that's the beauty of Linux, you can try it and it won't cost a cent).

Collapse -
Not to make light of things....
by cnet74 / August 22, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

Hi. With LiveCD, it will always be slower than a real hard disk install, using the same distro and same version.

If you want only one, not three or four, then you must use a DVD source.

Using the LiveCD, you can test if the flavor can discover your devices and make them work. Particularly, you do not want too many issues - your sounds, your printer, your network adapter, even your monitor behaviour.

Because you want the easy GUI interphase, you may want to try Mepis 3.4 (the newer v6.0, when I tried it months ago when it just came out seems a tad slower; by now, it could have been fixed, as these distros do try to compete and give their fans the best products) because device discovery, on my desktop, is excellent, including sound, printer, and networking. I do not know whether 3.4 is by now outdated.

I do have Ubuntu v6, not yet the newer v7, installed in a virtual box - which means limited capacity and slower processing - both on an XP and Vista. I use them primarily to test newer packages, but also for Apache2, GIMP, BIND9 (of course there are Windows counterparts of these as well, but I try to separate the entities as much as possible). And of course I access my Windows files in Ubuntu, in the same computer, mostly for knowledge enhancement. But if I want to try web serving in Apache2, for example, I am lazy enough to produce newer web pages when I can test some of the pages I already published. Reading this seems to suggest that everything is EASY, it does entail work. But there are some advantages in learning. For example, if you want to produce or manipulate graphics FREELY in Windows like using Paint, I find it crude compared to the free GIMP (which requires a learning curve).

And a caveat: I have been with Linux experimental stage for over a year, and I still assess myself a newbie.

This is just a personal input: no warranties are expressed or implied.

Collapse -
Splain you!
by welrdelr / August 22, 2007 8:17 AM PDT

Mepis is a good choice for those who do not want to completely let go of Windows.
Virtual Box is based upon Fabrice Bellard's Qemu emulator. You should have used qemu, installed k-qemu, reduced the running processes, and specified the exact drivers you wanted.
GIMP does not require a "learning curve." Documentation comes with the program. Tutorials are available.

I have some news for you. Linux is always in an experimental and developing stage.
Everyone who uses it is a "newbie." There isn't a user of Linux/GNU that knows everything.

You need to install Linux onto a computer and go from there. Try out other distributions. Hands on experience with real hardware helps.

Collapse -
more
by welrdelr / August 22, 2007 8:08 AM PDT

It's better to install Linux from a set than a Live CD. Debian, Slackware, and Gentoo are good for single CD network installs; but, you are talking about a minimum of two hours to set up your system.
768M RAM can run all Linux distributions. You can also have a virtual machine installed.
I'm going to go with my personal experience for installing a distro.
Fedora. I like this one. It leads you through the steps. The release comes with all OpenSource software. Tutorials are available for installing flash, java, playing MP3, and wome Windows media files.

SuSE. It installs quite easily and has a user interface that you may like. You will be prompted if they are any conflicts during the installation.
Debian. This isn't easy but it is a good choice if you want to custom build your system.

Free-BSD. Not Linux but a UNIX descendant that gives you a good powerhouse to work with. There are two friendly versions available if you don't want to spend time configuring.
Desktop BSD and PC-BSD. Of these two, Desktop BSD was my favorite.

Collapse -
BSD?
by bigfoot360 / August 22, 2007 11:34 AM PDT
In reply to: more

BSD can not run Linux programs right? So then what does it run?

Which distro would you say has the best looks:
OpenSuse
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Fedora Core
Mandriva

Collapse -
I have tried them all.
by ahtoi / August 22, 2007 3:33 PM PDT
In reply to: BSD?

I am presently using opensuse 10.3 (64 bits).

Collapse -
bsd
by cnet74 / August 22, 2007 4:13 PM PDT

i find the microsot distro !#&*%!! vista has a costly, impressive look.

and for the serious choice, i think that if you navigate on the themes of any of the distros, you will find one that suits your personal lifestyle or life statement. there is no reason to be so confined. after all Linux is one of choices, sometimes too overwhelming many.

i think that what you really want to know first is, what am i to use the os for? then, will my devices be fully supported? and then, how much do i have to pay if i want to obtain support, and how readily can i engage one?

if your life though is just computers and without concerns for having productive days, then you go ahead and keep on experimenting because Linux is "always experimental, always innovative." and who knows, you may find your place in the sun one day, with your unending tests of what Linux distro you should have, because with Sidux and Ubuntu coming out with new version every six months or less, you may not want to be left behind. And mind you, these newer versions taunt you with the newest processors and fastest video cards.

and if in using GIMP you still have to learn from the Help, or tutorial, or manual, there is a learning curve, as anything else, only steeper than Windows Paint. This opinion is personal, without expressed or implied warranties. as the GPL caveat would say, use it with your own risks, except in states that do not allow this cop-out.

Collapse -
Ubuntu
by shahrokhan / August 22, 2007 7:15 PM PDT
In reply to: bsd

Well I guess I will stick with Ubuntu and slowly try our Mandriva and OpenSuse,

Thank you everyone for the help!

Collapse -
which one?
by welrdelr / August 23, 2007 5:48 AM PDT

Fedora core. Beryl and compiz come with the distro. There is also KVM and Xen for virtualization.

You enable Linux binary compatibility in the sysinstall process.
You can also do it when enabling ports.

Collapse -
which one
by cnet74 / August 23, 2007 5:08 PM PDT
In reply to: which one?

the one who disdains generalities gave such general advices, he spit up to the sky and landed on his face.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!