Storage forum

Alert

Sugarsync

by Tomaudley / January 6, 2015 6:29 AM PST

Sugarsync charged my credit card $74.99 for me and another $74.99 for my wife. I received no notice of it until I got my credit card statement.
They say that when they converted from free service to paid a year ago we agreed to be renewed automatically. We did the first year only because the fee was sprung on us and we needed time to relocated our files.
IOnce they charged my account there is no refund possible and I cannot cancel until next December.
I think they have scammed an elderly couple of almost $150 that we can't afford to lose.
Credit card company says they can do nothing because Sugarsync has our agreement for automatic renewals. We haven't used sygarsync for almost a year and do not intend to do so. it was a fine survice when it was free.
They tell me that what they are doing is legal, and it may be, but it is not right!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sugarsync
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sugarsync
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contest it
by Willy / January 8, 2015 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Sugarsync

Why your CC sees as an alright action, shouldn't be. HOWEVER, you were suppose to read the fine print. Also, I can only *ASSUME* you had the option to opt out somewhere even if online. If not, you certainly can do that now or find out. I still would contact the CC and protest no matter what so its in the record. If you can't get out of it, then you can see what legal action you can take. If you have local advocacy group/TV/free legal advice, use it and see where it gets you. You have to keep at it otherwise, they'll try to wear you out. Keep records of your actions/contacts/names, etc. in order to maintain that.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Immediately request a new CC number if....
by James Denison / January 8, 2015 12:52 AM PST

the CC won't reverse the charge. Failing that get a new CC account number and make sure the sugarsync isn't added to it. If the CC insist on adding old automatic charges to it, go with another CC company. Have nothing more to do with sugarsync then. File a complaint with Better Business Bureau. File a report with the FTC. File reports with the various Consumer Reports type tracking companies, just make sure you accurately represent the facts. Of course, before this, make sure you have all your files downloaded and safe from sugarsync.

Collapse -
PS
by James Denison / January 8, 2015 12:54 AM PST

Never use a CC for a "free trial" of anything. That's my personal policy.

Collapse -
An Alternative
by James Denison / January 8, 2015 2:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Canceled in May. Still getting bills in July. AVOID!
by artmaltman / July 15, 2015 3:35 PM PDT

I canceled Sugarsync in May and they are still billing me in July.
It is an infuriating company.
Customer service is extremely bad.
Software is intermittently buggy and uses a lot of energy on Macintosh, shortening battery life.
Avoid!

Collapse -
Same thing has happened to me with Sugar Sync.
by sburtch / September 28, 2015 7:38 PM PDT

I left a message in this forum. How did it sort out for you?

Collapse -
Eventually canceled Sugarsync, and got CC refund prior payts
by artmaltman / February 20, 2016 12:08 PM PST

I used their new process to cancel - you have to call a special cancel line which has very limited hours and very long waits on hold. Regular customer service refuse to cancel you. Flat out refuse.

Eventually they canceled after I got on the cancel line first thing when they open and waited on hold half an hour. But they refused to refund the 3 months $25 fees I had paid after canceling previously using their old system, which simply did not work.

So I contacted my credit card company, which is a United Mileage card operated by Chase, and they refunded me the difference. I don't know whether they ever got reimbursed by Sugarsync.

I've never interacted with such a sleezy operation as Sugarsync. They literally make it hard to cancel and then refuse to refund the additional charges that accrue.

Collapse -
Sugar Sync Alert Beware No refunds on Auto Pay renewals
by sburtch / September 28, 2015 7:35 PM PDT

Hi Tomaudley,

The same exact thing has happened to me today. Except Im only charged $74.99 so far. Wondering how it has sorted out for you?

Buyer Beware! Sugar Sync does not issue returns and auto renew your Paypal or credit card without notification or choice in plans after Free Trial Offer has expired.
They lure you in with "Free Risk Free Trial Offer. Make sure you read the fine print. Their policy is dubious way of doing business. in my opinion.

After they charge you for one year of service it is nearly impossible to cancel and no refund even if you cancel.

I intend to create a webpage to see if other people have been affected by this company and the legal implications of this type business model.

Please leave a post here and I leave a link in the future to the webpage to organize any efforts against this practice of SugarSync.

Thanks
Steve

Collapse -
Same thing has happened to me with Sugar Sync
by sburtch / September 28, 2015 7:39 PM PDT

I left a detailed response to your post. Please let me know how it sorted out for you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?