Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Suddenly it wants a password!

by jrey / April 6, 2005 8:36 AM PDT

My sisters laptop, Win XP Pro/SP2 has worked for three months with no password set, just click on her name icon.
Today it wants a password entered before she can get in.
What has happened?
More importantly, what to do?
Any help much appreciated!
Thanks,
Jan Rey

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Suddenly it wants a password!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Suddenly it wants a password!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could you add more information
by Steven Haninger / April 6, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

It should be displaying a username. Is it your sister's? Presuming it's not the result of some malware, you might try to use the System Restore function. You can set it back to a time when no password was required.

Collapse -
A worse thought: Her
by tobeach / April 6, 2005 4:12 PM PDT

and the person now in control has entered an unknown password to prevent access! Scary thought! I would keep 'puter disconnected from the net (physically unplug) until more is known or problem cured.

. Pay the toll and get back in. http://www.lostpassword.com has a tool that lets you back in.
Above is one suggestion from a Bob Profitt post in 11/26/03. You could use search and check other answers re: Logon : lost password. Good Luck ! Happy

Collapse -
Missing part of 1st post: Her computer ...
by tobeach / April 7, 2005 4:21 PM PDT
In reply to: A worse thought: Her

has been taken over by trojan or hacker and is being held at idle to use in a DSO or other co-ordinated multi-puter attack and the person....
Sorry for the missing bit. Very paranoid sounding I know but this is how dozens of DSOs are done each year!
Best of luck!! Happy

Collapse -
Strange behaviour of XP
by mjlee / April 7, 2005 6:24 PM PDT

Lord knows I'm not XP expert Happy actually I'm daily frustrated by the strangeness of it, but I had an exact same problem awhile back which eventually caused me to dismantle my entire computer and replace parts, and in the end all I had to do was press enter. Don't enter any password if none is set, just leave it empy and press enter, it worked like a charm for me. Hey sometimes trying the obvious things do work!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.