Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sudden freezes. . .

by Coryphaeus / September 17, 2004 11:00 AM PDT

Running a home built with a Shuttle main board, AMD 2400+ XP (2 GHz) processor, 512 Meg RAM, two HDs, XP Home SP1, tower case with seven (7) fans.

All of a sudden, when machine idle, running SETI@Home screen saver, the machine freezes, and the HD LED is on steady. Been running this setup for over a year, zero problems. Motherboard monitor shows processor temp of 55 C. Well within tolerances.

If I'm surfing, or whatever, zero problems. If I walk away, after a while I come back and the screen saver is frozen. No keys will work, mouse pointer not there, nothing will bring the machine out of the screen saver. Have to hard boot.

Forcing screen saver into action will not duplicate the problem.

I thought there might be a log somewhere but don't know where to look.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sudden freezes. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sudden freezes. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sudden freezes. . .
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 11:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Sudden freezes. . .

My Intel did that do. Eventually I added a wait state in the BIOS setup and cut a "blowhole" in the top of the case to make it easy for hot air to get out. I was able to drop down to just 3 fans that I added. CPU, back of case and the blowhole.

Other components can become heat sensitive and to sniff that out, I leave the cover off.

As always, the power supplies are "super sized"

Bob

Collapse -
by Willy / September 17, 2004 12:36 PM PDT

Check the bios for what "power management" is being used, try "none". Then allow the OS to power management,. Check also, how you want the monitor, etc. to sleep hibernate, and any hot keys, if any. You may just turn it off, allowing only the saver to run, thus never sleep, etc. You may have to play with it. Plus, I read some chipsets may not awake properly, I believe VIA chipset. Also, there maybe a heat problem still, as the power to run all those fans if taken from the mtrbd. maybe robbing it. Those small solder lands can't handle a truly large load, inspect for obivous damage. Throw power from the leads themselves.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by AussiePete / September 17, 2004 6:35 PM PDT

my daughter had this problem when the screen saver came on when she was in internet explorer (but that was IE5.5 and i think that bug has been fixed in IE6).
Also seen it happen with over heating but u seem to have covered that. you haven't said what operating system you are using so cant help with looking at any logs!!
would help if you could supply some more info about what you are running
also check that none of the screen saver files are corrupt - or maybe its just a Martian - lol!!!

Collapse -
Ya' know. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 17, 2004 10:50 PM PDT

It might have been that combination, IE on line when the screen saver starts. But I've had this setup for over a year. Nothing added, nothing changed.

BTW, running XP Home SP1.

Changed the SC this morning, will watch.

Thanks to all youse guys.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?