Laptops forum

General discussion

Sudden death of working laptop

by volitaire77 / July 27, 2008 5:09 AM PDT

The machine in question is an HP entertainment notebook, 1 gb of RAM,with an Intel centrino processor running Windows XP with Sp2. It is a relatively new machine, only three or four years old.The motherboard was replaced 1-2 years ago but has been working fine since.Recently, after losing the power cord for several weeks, I charged it and tried to turn it on. Even after trying several electrical outlets, the machine still wouldn't turn on. Another indication that this thing is dead is that the front panel, which usually lights up when you charge it or press the "On" button does nothing. I would like to know why this working machine died so suddenly and with no former warnings. Is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sudden death of working laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sudden death of working laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One common reason I'm running into is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

The new lead free solder being used. While ecofriendly it is prone to cracking and since laptops don't just sit on the desk for years. So the common fix is to replace the mainboard.

If it's the OS we can test for that if the BIOS comes up by setting the CD as the boot drive and booting some CD based Linux for a test run.
Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!
by volitaire77 / July 27, 2008 5:41 AM PDT

Thank you for your swift reply. To be honest, this laptop is probably not worth replacing any hardware (it is not under warranty anymore), it would just be nice to have around for my mom to use for word processing. I don't think it is the OS as nothing, not even the BIOS, ever comes up on screen.I don't think we will be purchasing anymore HP notebooks after the lousy performance this one had. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Tell me when you put in a new CMOS battery
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

(revealing a treasure I received) I was gifted a dead laptop. I took it apart, measured the voltages on the "brick" and then found the little internal CMOS battery. That was far too low to be working. 5 bucks and my brother got a fairly good laptop.

Have you seen or heard of such a thing?

Collapse -
Hmm...
by volitaire77 / July 27, 2008 6:22 AM PDT

I have not heard of such a thing, though it sounds fairly complicated for a n00b like myself! However, I've just recalled that about 4 months before the laptop went dead I got a Blue Screen of Death. Do you think this could be related? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm...

Google this -> LAPTOP CMOS BATTERY

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you!! I think I'll try that!
by volitaire77 / July 27, 2008 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Tip.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?