TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Subwoofer wire: coax r59... mega LOUD feedback

by msnow / January 23, 2006 2:19 PM PST

I have an Onkyo 780 and some guy at Home Depot said I could use the existing r59 coaxial cable that was under my house to hook up the subwoofer. I put on the jacks and it did work, so I was pretty happy, until my wife said that the subwoofer started giving really loud feedback. She had to unplug the subwoofer.

I was wondering if the coax cable is the problem? It is plugged into the wall, away from the TV, and about 1 foot next to the left speaker. I have the front speakers set to "large," and the subwoofer turned all the way up (otherwise it didn't turn from standby to on).

Thanks,
matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Subwoofer wire: coax r59... mega LOUD feedback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Subwoofer wire: coax r59... mega LOUD feedback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SUBWOFFER UP IN SMOKE
by stewart norrie / January 24, 2006 2:23 AM PST

oN THE BACK OF THE AMP THERE WILL BE AN R.C.A. JACK LABELED SUB OUT. Use this only then run an r.c.a. cable to your sub You may have 2 inputs on your sub labeled sub in L+R then just get a r.c.a. y conector . then turn your volume control all the way off and bring up the level that sounds rite to you you shouyld never go more than a third way up on the level in closing run a test tone on your amp and set the sub to 0 d.b. good luck

Collapse -
existing r59 coaxial
by jcrobso / January 24, 2006 6:49 AM PST

Existing??? What was it used for??? John

Collapse -
Coax
by Dan Filice / January 24, 2006 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: existing r59 coaxial

John,

The coax was probably used to route cable TV from one room to another, but my question is what kind of connector could be put on a coax cable that would connect to a subwoofer and the other end to the amp? I've never seen a subwoofer with an F-Connector fitting. Weird, no?

Collapse -
Adapters
by sirroundsound / January 24, 2006 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Coax

There are plenty of adapters out there, f to RCA is a common one.
A bad connection can make a subwoofer "hum" and it is possible for it to be loud. If you remove the end from the receiver, and leave the sub ON, all you have to do is touch the RCA end and the sub could hum. Coaxial cables often get used for this purpose, but it really isn't the right way to do it.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/sirroundsound

Collapse -
I think this is it
by msnow / January 24, 2006 1:15 PM PST
In reply to: Adapters

The coax was to route the cable to another room indeed, and thought I could save time/money by using it for the subwoofer.

It does work, but my wife said that it all of sudden went ballistic. I did have it turned up the max, but have now turned it down half-way. Will see if this works, and if not, will buy a longer RCA cable to replace the coax.

Better that than to scare the bejesus out of the cats.

m.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?