Samsung forum

General discussion

Subtitle Problem - Samsung Series 4 LA32C450E1 .avi + .srt

by kozekz / May 27, 2010 10:27 PM PDT

Hi,
recently bought samsung series 4 lcd as above, and i noticed every .avi file + .srt subtitle i've watched using usb, the subtitle just gone missing halfway of the story. whether it was 20+/40+/90+ minutes shows. sometimes, it appeared back at the end of the story..i don't know what is the problem. i try to update the firmware, still nothing change but
everything is good when i play on pc. pls help
thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Subtitle Problem - Samsung Series 4 LA32C450E1 .avi + .srt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Subtitle Problem - Samsung Series 4 LA32C450E1 .avi + .srt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 10:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Check complete, no error
by kozekz / May 27, 2010 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Just one idea.

"Check complete, no error" - sub checker
if this because .srt error, here example where part it goes missing.

eg. from 43 mins show, missing at 22mins

00:22:51,610 --> 00:22:53,644
Plane's gonna be moving soon.

00:22:53,678 --> 00:22:56,213
And here, Bell's personal cell phone.

00:22:56,248 --> 00:22:58,415
Look at the time stamps on these calls.

on screen i only see...

.. "Plane's gonna be moving soon.
And here, Bell's personal cell phon" ..

the rest is missing till the end.

Collapse -
Possible solution
by rsierra007 / July 9, 2010 11:53 AM PDT

Hi,
I have the LCD LN32C450 and I've having the same problem, using AVI and MKV. I posted a question but I haven't received an answer.
Searching in the web I found a solution that has worked for me. Instead of using .srt files, try changing the file to .smi. To do that, download and install Subtitle Workshop 2.51 (http://www.urusoft.net/download.php?id=sw&lang=1), run the software, choose File - Open subtitle, browse for the folder containing the .srt subtitle and click Open. The subtitle will load, if it is in the same folder as the movie it would probably open too. Then select File - Save as..., select (double click) SAMI Captioning from the icon list, and finally Save the subtitle in the proper folder with the proper name (the extension will be .smi).
That should work on any movie file with your Media Play.
Hope this will help.
Greetings from Uruguay!

Rodrigo

Collapse -
been using that method for a month now.
by kozekz / July 9, 2010 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution

Thanks,
I check the manual. see what type of subtitle it supports. then use subtitle workshop to convert to SAMI. i've tried 2 other subtitle format, it works great too. takes few seconds to convert, but worth it.
still, if you found any solution to .srt, i'm really glad if you could share. Thanks again.

Greetings from Malaysia!

Jekk

Collapse -
Thank you rsierra007
by cnetpain / November 24, 2010 12:23 AM PST

EI!

Thank you very much I've been looking for a software to fix this and finally i found the solution, it works i like it!, thank you dude, your a life saver ahahahah cheers ^^

Collapse -
U r Right
by farzand001 / January 18, 2011 12:36 PM PST

HI,

Yes You r Right

Collapse -
Issue on Samsung Series 4 LA32C450E1 .avi + .srt
by iznubadd / July 27, 2010 11:18 AM PDT

Hi
i have the same problem with the above unit. I do notice during middle of the movie that it disappear but the same files (avi + srt) works fine on my computer (media player classic).

i hope samsung fix this issue.

from philippines

Collapse -
by Chryslerfan1 / September 9, 2010 12:10 PM PDT

Hello:

I am having a similar issue with my brand new Samsung TV model LN32C450. Maybe it is a little bit more complicated as it is not only not playing all the movies with file extension *.wmv, but also is not playing at all any movies with extension *.avi (from my fuji digital camera, and other files). All the files playback excellent in my computer, though.

If any body would have any idea or suggestion on how to tackle this problem, it would be greatly appreciate it. This is the main feature (movie playback) which made me to decide on this TV set, so please help me here.

Thanks in advance from Canada.

Collapse -
Check Codec
by farzand001 / January 18, 2011 12:43 PM PST

Hi,
Have u checked your Video files Codec Container. LN32C450 support *.avi file with Divx 3.11 / 4.x / 5.1 / 6.0, XviD, H.264 BP / MP / HP,MPEG4 SP / ASP Codecs and *.WMV files with Window Media Video v9 Codec.I Have no issue with any video format. There r 14 formats which supported by this Model.

Collapse -
by Chryslerfan1 / January 18, 2011 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Check Codec

Hello Farzand001:

I would greatly appreciate if you can guide me step by step on how to check on my " Video files Codec Container". I have no idea where to go or how to do.

Please.

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Yes Why not
by farzand001 / January 21, 2011 3:28 PM PST

There is very simple way to check your video files detail. Download a program which name is "MediaInfo". After download you can check all information of any video file by Right click and select media info on desired file. Here is direct Download link.
"http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download/Windows"

Collapse -
Check Codec
by Chryslerfan1 / January 23, 2011 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: Yes Why not

Hello Farzand001:

Thanks for your reply. I will download your suggested program and go from there.

Meanwhile, I wonder if you think I may also need some kind of firmware update on my tv.

Remember, you can explain all the detailed steps as far back as you think I should know, it would ge greately appreciated. I am not computer guy but I can undestand and follow written instructions.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Collapse -
Problem solved BUT..
by kozekz / April 25, 2011 2:02 AM PDT

After a year using LA32C450E1, i saw new firmware on the website, and
decided to install/upgrade, luckily this time, the updates fix the .srt
problem. subtitles embedded in .mkv still can't show.BUT the real
problem i'm facing now IS, if i turned off my LCD, it takes up to 5 mins
to turn back-on, and sometimes it wont turned-on unless i removed my
USB, turned the switch off, switch back on. wait for few minutes. If i'm
lucky it opens, if not then i need to repeat the process.
Pls help, Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: subtitle

Hi even i bought a samsung series 4 lcd and i am not able to .avi file. How did oyu play urz?? Is there some change in settings that is required?

Collapse -
Lots of posts about this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: subtitle

If you have an AVI that does not play, the AVI is incompatible. Let me be very short about this. No. There is no change in settings.

The cure has been to encode the content in something compatible or use a player (this won't be on the TV!) that plays it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?