HolidayBuyer's Guide

Download.com Site Feedback forum

General discussion

'Submit your rating' e-mails...

by John.Wilkinson / September 24, 2007 9:12 AM PDT

I've noticed that since the overhaul I've also bee receiving e-mails asking me to 'submit my rating' after every time I download a program while logged in. It's become more of an annoyance than a service, as my inbox is set up to verbally announce all new mail. Could an unsubscribe or opt-out option be provided specifically for those feedback requests?

Thanks!
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Submit your rating' e-mails...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Submit your rating' e-mails...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too many e-mails asking for reviews
by peterbutler Download.com staff / September 24, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

It's funny, John. I was just asking myself the same question today. Wink

On my Watch List, I have the e-mail preference of "never e-mail me," but I too get the same "review this product" e-mail messages you mention ... and I want to figure out how to fix that.

Do me a favor. Try this fix. Go to your Download.com profile page and select the "My Watch List" tab at the top. (It should be selected by default.)

Also, if that link above doesn't work, click on your username in the upper right corner of any Download.com page to get to your profile.

From the My Watch List tab, scroll down to "Watch List preferences" and look for the checkbox labeled "If available, e-mail me a Resource Guide when I download new software or games."

Is that checkbox selected? If so, uncheck it. Your preference should automatically be saved via Ajax.

After you do that, try to download something and see if you get that "review" e-mail from CNET. The checkbox should turn it off completely. As far as I can tell, there's no way to limit those e-mails to a certain number per week or month.

Unfortunately, if you uncheck that box, you also won't receive any available resource guides for certain products on CNET Download.com, but that might be an acceptable tradeoff for your in-box problem.

I'll talk to Greg (our product manager) about possibly separating those "review" e-mails from the resource guides, since they aren't truly related.

p.

Collapse -
I cannot access this url
by PudgyOne / September 25, 2007 12:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I just tried it no problem
by Dango517 / September 25, 2007 12:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Is it in your view profile
by PudgyOne / September 25, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

page?

Rick

Collapse -
That did it...
by John.Wilkinson / September 25, 2007 8:34 AM PDT

But hopefully it can be split into separate user settings down the road.

John

Collapse -
Scratch that!
by John.Wilkinson / September 25, 2007 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: That did it...

I spoke too soon...just received requests in regards to both a download made with the notification option enabled and another minutes later with it off. Might just be a glitch, but both made it through. Now to blacklist emails containing the subject "Submit your rating." Sad

John

Collapse -
Still a problem
by cabizeid / June 25, 2009 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Scratch that!

I ported this two years ago and again last month. They still have not fixed this issue.

Amazing

Collapse -
It was fixed back then...
by John.Wilkinson / June 25, 2009 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Still a problem

They added an option to disable "Submit your rating" emails over a year ago. Just visit http://www.cnet.com/watchlist (linked to from your Cnet profile) and edit your email preferences.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Wrong
by cabizeid / June 25, 2009 9:29 AM PDT

Incorrect, the complaint is THAT FEATURE is not working. That's the problem that I, and others have been reporting for 1.5 yrs (for me anyway).

Everytime I select "disable", it all gets reset.

Collapse -
It does work...
by John.Wilkinson / June 25, 2009 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Wrong
Collapse -
(NT) FYI: Both links *should* open blank pages.
by John.Wilkinson / June 25, 2009 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: It does work...
Collapse -
what software how to knwo a blog is banned?
by faizfaidzin / August 7, 2009 6:08 PM PDT

whether there is software to know that in a blog banned by google, my blog is <a href="http://teknik-baru.blogspot.com"></a>

Collapse -
How does that relate to this discussion?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 7, 2009 10:24 PM PDT

Sorry, but I am not sure why you have posted in this discussion.

If you want to make a new post somewhere else more relevant to your problem, please feel free to do so. But please ensure that you explain your problem in detail.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.