Storage forum

General discussion

SUBJECT: Where O Where Is My External Hard Drive?

This is my first attempt at building an external hard drive. I was very careful to check with the forum before purchasing:

Thermaltake Max 4 Active Cooling HDD Enclosure

AND

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive
3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS

The first of three external hard drives I plan to build, seemed very easy with the enclosed instructions.

The problem arouse when I tried to install this hard external drive on my Windows XP Professional.

You see, I am having a freezing problem on my Windows XP so I decided this would be the perfect time to start my external hard drive
library. This way, In safe mode, I could move my V.I.P. files, photos, etc. to my first new external drive making it possible
to format my PC hard drive and put Windows 7 Professional on it.

I was warned to use and test my new external hard drive first before saving V.I.P files to it and I plan to do just that. I was also warned to be very sure I could find my V.I.P files on the new external hard drive before formatting my PC's hard drive and I plan to do this as well.

1.) I first turned on my newly connected external hard drive, fully
planning to Format it.

2.) I went to Control Panel/ Add Hard Ware etc. but couldn't find it
on my PC to format it!

3.). I went back to Add Hard Ware and found it listed as "Generic
Volume".

4.) I then went to My Computer/ Manage/ Device Manager/ and searched
under Storage, where I found a red X over "Removable Storage".

It is quite obvious to me I don't know what I am doing here (sigh). so, here I am.

I am not too proud to beg for help. Please, Please, Pretty Please, Somebody, any experienced body, please walk me through this!

Thank You For Your Time :>)

====================================

Dell Dimension XPS 400/9150

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz) w/Dual Core Technology
Processor, 80547, PENTIUM D SMITHFIELD FOR
DESKTOPS..., 820 SKT-T, Male

Hard Drive: 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
> > (7200RPM) ,DIM,P 3.5IN,1.44MB,FD,
MG WD-HAWK

Memory: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz

Modem: 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

Video Card: 256MB ATI Hyper Memory PCI-Express
> > X16 (DVI/VGA/TV out) Radeon X600 SE (320-4383)

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive: 16X DVD ROM and 48X CD-RW

=====================================

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SUBJECT: Where O Where Is My External Hard Drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SUBJECT: Where O Where Is My External Hard Drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this.

In reply to: SUBJECT: Where O Where Is My External Hard Drive?

Find the DISK MANAGEMENT tool in this OS. Make it full screen as some miss the new drive since you may have scroll down to see it.

Google XP DISK MANAGEMENT on how to use this tool to partition and format the new drive.

TIP; Use the fast format unless you have a day to wait.
Bob

Collapse -
I tried

In reply to: Try this.

I went to:

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management

My PC hard drive info was there but I found no trace of my new external hard drive :>(

Collapse -
The defect is

In reply to: I tried

Not evident in your post so far.

Try this drive on other machines.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.