Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

subject lines on replies

by zoredache / March 27, 2008 12:46 PM PDT

It sure would be useful if you could managed to automatically fill the subject field or not require it on a reply to an existing post.

The extremely frustrating part is that seems to be a uniqueness requirement!? In a forum single topic usually covers a single subject why should they need to be unique?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: subject lines on replies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: subject lines on replies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Subject lines...
by John.Wilkinson / March 27, 2008 1:11 PM PDT

The option of having the subject field auto-filled is certainly promising. However, the subject field cannot be left blank because the Cnet forums support Tree View, in which only a 'tree' of subjects are displayed along with one the contents of the currently-viewed post. Up until November 2006 that was the only view available, and it's still the preferred view of many.

As to the uniqueness requirement, no member can submit a post with the same subject or body two times in a row. This is designed to deter spammers from simply copying-and-pasting a message repeatedly or using an application to auto-fill the fields with a particular message. Personally, I try to include something specific to the particular post I'm replying to, making it more recognizable to others reading through the thread. (It gets hard to follow a thread that has 50+ replies, all of which use the subject "RE: My Topic.")

John

Collapse -
Subject lines
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Subject lines...

I agree entirely with John's comments.

I use Tree view all the time and the last thing I want to see is a list of replies with all the same subject line. In this reply I have used the same Subject content as John on purpose but in a full discussion this would annoy me no end.

Even in Threaded or Flat view I would want to see an appropriate heading to what the poster has to say. It gives an instant visual guide to what the reply is likely to be about.

I also intensely dislike those replies where the poster has just used ... (periods) or 'Reply' or similar non-helpful subject lines. I wouldn't be so bold as to say such things are lazy. Or would I.......?

Mark

Collapse -
Back in the day,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Subject lines

I remember that the subject line was filled in for you based on the subject line of the post that you were replying to.

It could be changed, if you felt like it.

It was only around for a short while, it was just after I started answering Mac stuff, and then it went away. I kinda missed it at first, I thought it was handy.

P

Collapse -
(NT) Yeah I agree. I liked that option
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Back in the day,
Collapse -
What I would like...
by John.Wilkinson / March 30, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

Most auto-fills simply take the preceding subject and add an RE: in front of it, which just adds to the complication if posters don't change the subject line. What I would like is for the forum software to automatically create a subject upon submission, if the subject field was left blank, containing the first XX characters from the body. From that readers could generally differentiate between posts and tell what each one is about without requiring user interaction.

John

Collapse -
Subject Title Line Information
by hathawayberkshire / April 4, 2008 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: What I would like...

I agree as well as to the subject title line. This would be most helpful to track.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.