Computer Help forum

General discussion

Subfolders vanished

Hello, I'm not very good with computers, and mine already has so many problems as it is, however, I've encountered one that I'm having trouble finding help for online.

Yesterday, I went into this folder I have that has a bunch of subfolders where I keep my videos, music, pictures, etc. When I went into the folder, nothing was there. I went back and tried going into it again, thinking maybe there was some loading issue, but no: the folders inside were gone. I went back and hovered over the folder and it said "Folder is Empty." I panicked, because that folder holds nearly all of my stuff. I used the Search function to look for some specific files that were in those folders, and came up with nothing. Now, I was really freaked, and could feel that cold dread coming over me. However, I then noticed that how much free space was left on the drive hadn't changed, which would be odd if the folders were deleted, since they contained something like 30 GBs of stuff. I ran through some other folders to see if they were moved for some unknown reason, but found nothing.

Eventually, I opened up a media player and played the most recent video, which makes its home in one of those folders. It played. I then went to browse through the movies folder it came from, and there it was... I opened up My Computer and typed in the direct address for some of the folders, and it'd bring me to them each time (however, I can't seem to find my pictures folder, and half the folders I can't remember the name of). I can get to them by typing in their exact folder path, but the folder they're all in doesn't show that it has anything... I asked some people and they mentioned that the folders might be Hidden, so I tried making the folders Hidden, then unhiding them, but nothing would happen.

Also, strangely, one of the folders (not one that I had ventured to at the time) just popped up this morning. However, all the others are still gone, or invisible, or whathaveyou...

I use a Windows XP Professional, but other than that, I'm not sure what I can tell you. However, I can say that this folder is on a drive that my uncle (who built the computer) said is failing/dying. I'd like to think that problem and other problems are unrelated, though, because I'd really like to access my stuff...

Please help me if you can, and thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Subfolders vanished
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Subfolders vanished
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You HAVE Created Backups, Right?

In reply to: Subfolders vanished

If you haven't, then make them now.. Users should always ask themselves: "What would I do if the hard drive died RIGHT NOW?" If you don't have backups, it can be disastrous..

Next, if you can open the "MY Documents" folder and it's still blank, try RIGHT clicking on a blank area, choose "Arrange icons", then choose "By Name".. See if everything reappears.

Next, if that doesn't fix it, try restarting the computer into Safe Mode, then restart in "normal" Windows.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Unfortunately...

In reply to: You HAVE Created Backups, Right?

No, I haven't created back-ups. I've been waiting over half a year for my uncle to send me a DVD burner, but he hasn't. However, with the files I have, I don't think I should be backing them onto CDs, so I've been hoping for something drastic not to happen...

The first thing didn't work, but I tried rebooting into Safe Mode. It wouldn't let me for some reason. It just sat there on a screen full of lines that said something like "multi(0)something(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\System32\file.whatever". After a few minutes of waiting, I just rebooted into normal.

My folders are back, though. ^_^ So, thank you very much! However, it seems my pictures folder is gone. It must've been deleted somehow... Granted, nothing in there was "that" important, I did keep a picture of this girl I met a long time ago in there, and I was hoping to keep it for a very long time. Oh well... When it comes to me and computers, I'm used to this sort of thing...

Collapse -
Do you have WMP 11 installed? A new feature of WMP 11

In reply to: Subfolders vanished

Renames and move files according to rules I can't begin to comprehend.

I would not install either IE 7 or WMP 11 today.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.