Computer Help forum

General discussion

su7300 with 2g ram or su3500 with 4 gig ram?

by Savage937 / February 14, 2010 2:18 AM PST

Hey everyone - I'm buying a new laptop - probably the Dell Vostro V13 - but I'm on a budget and can't get maxed-out specs. So I figured I could afford either their Core 2 Solo SU3500 model with 4 gigs of RAM or their Core 2 Duo SU7300 model with only 2 gigs or RAM. I will be using the laptop for very basic things - word, excel, internet, streaming, downloads and photo uploads, etc. No intensive applications. But I'd like to have the fastest, smoothest experience I can - quickest boot-up time, etc. Which spec do you suggest I do with?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: su7300 with 2g ram or su3500 with 4 gig ram?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: su7300 with 2g ram or su3500 with 4 gig ram?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go with the Core 2 Duo
by Jimmy Greystone / February 14, 2010 2:33 AM PST

Go with the Core 2 Duo system. It'll be a lot easier (and cheaper) to add more RAM at some later date when finances are a bit more plentiful compared to the CPU. Only having 2GB will be pushing things a bit, but a single core CPU on a new laptop will likely be even worse long term. Just try and set aside a little money here and there to eventually buy another 2GB of RAM later. If it takes 3-6 months, then so be it, but sooner or later you'll want to get more RAM for the system.

Collapse -
Core 2 Duao ...what's the difference in cost
by VAPCMD / February 14, 2010 2:49 AM PST

between the SU7300 with 2GBs RAM and 4GBs RAM ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
cost difference
by Savage937 / February 14, 2010 3:16 AM PST

The core 2 solo with 4 gigs of RAM would cost $794, the core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram would cost $669, and the core 2 duo with 4 gigs of ram would be $844 (past $800 and my budget).

I've been thinking about going with the core 2 duo and 2gigs ram and upgrading to 4 gigs, once a single piece of 4 gig ram hits the $100 mark...

Collapse -
Yeah
by Jimmy Greystone / February 14, 2010 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: cost difference

Yeah, if you buy RAM from Dell they're going to charge you through the nose for it typically because it'd be covered under the warranty and they may have to replace it if it goes bad. You buy something aftermarket, and it'll be quite a bit cheaper. You can probably get 4GB of DDR2 SO-DIMMs for $150 or less at like a Best Buy, and that's before any promotional deals they may have.

Collapse -
i'll buy the core 2 duo
by Savage937 / February 14, 2010 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Yeah

...and pick up extra ram later on. thanks guys for the help!

Collapse -
Bummer
by VAPCMD / February 14, 2010 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: cost difference

Actually I'm a little shocked to see a $175 difference between a system with 2GBs and 4GBs when the cost of 4GBs DDR3 laptop RAM at Newegg is only $110. That being the case....I'd be inclined to get the Core 2 Duo system with the 2GBs and get a matched 4GB DDR3 kit from another source.

Might also look at the Technology Deals available over at http://www.Techbargains.com

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/196465

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!