Computer Help forum

General discussion

Stuttering video

by sjmnuke / September 9, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

I have run out of ideas and forums to check on how to fix this. I have Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1 with all other relevant OS updates installed from windowsupdate.com. My problem is that with streaming video content online, regardless of source, I encounter a stuttering in the video play. Sound is unaffected. Additionally when wtaching video clips resident on my hard drive, I will encounter the same stuttering, or worse, the video will fade into a green screen, and my PC will slow to a crawl until i manage to close Windows Media Player.
I am unsure what system info would be pertinent, and greatly appreciate any help anyone can give. I have installed no new harware recently, I have just today updated my GeForce FX 5200 Ultra drivers, and the problem still occurs. Thanks for any help at all folks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuttering video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuttering video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wm 10
by byker49 / September 10, 2005 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Stuttering video

Have you tried realplayer or winamp or quicktime to see if your problem is media player 10 or some other problem? Try playing some clips with these other players.

Collapse -
RealPlayer
by sjmnuke / September 10, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

I tested several files that produced the green screen, or stuttering inside WMP and they played fine. Also I have run Lavasoft AdAware 3 times, and Spybot S&D. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP, (4 reboots later) and still same problem.

Collapse -
realplayer
by sjmnuke / September 10, 2005 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: RealPlayer

I just tested a few more files and encountered the same stuttering in Realplayer, previous post was inaccurate. Again it was video only and not audio that wasnt working correctly.

Collapse -
wm 10
by byker49 / September 10, 2005 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: realplayer

I would either roll back the driver on my video card or uninstall the driver completely and perhaps reinstall in safe mode. Sometimes other programs can interfere with the installation of driver files. Antivirus programs are often the culprit here. If the clips are still jiggly in real player and wm 10 then I suspect the video card or its driver. Good Luck

Collapse -
There's a new clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: RealPlayer

You installed XP. It's no secret that Microsoft's CD does not give you a polished install of the OS with up to date drivers and more.

You get to do all that and figure out what you forgot. Microsoft does not do this for you.

Common omissions?

1. Motherboard drivers.
2. The XP DMA 'bug'. Hint: turn it to PIO on all channels, OK it and then go back in and set it to DMA.
3. Codecs. Green screen playback is common with what Microsoft may call 'rogue' or unsupported CODECs. Again this is the installer's (you?) responsibility and not Microsoft.

Bob

Collapse -
XP
by sjmnuke / September 10, 2005 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: There's a new clue.

I actually restored to a hard drive image after a previous attempt to update to Service pack 2. Thats another problem I have simply ignored, as each of the three times I have attempted to install SP2 my computer has crashed and I have had to restore to Factory hard drive image. I have looked into the DMA issue and both my primary and secondary IDE channels have an "Ultra DMA Mode" as current transfer mode. Would having codecs (e.g. divx) installed affect overall performace?

Collapse -
Looking at DMA and not doing. That's a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: XP

I have shared this bug some hundred times and can't seem to find the right words to get the message that we can't rely on what's reported on that screen. Your choice. I'll just do the procedure and move on.

As to codecs, yes.

As to SP2, if you can't install it without issue then your machine/OS install has issues. It glides onto good machines. Your machine has issues with either spyware or drivers. I've found too much spyware damage so it's not funny anymore.

Bob

Collapse -
DMA reset
by sjmnuke / September 10, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

I was unclear as to what I meant with DMA, I searched your other articles on the XP bug and referenced
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
and manually toggled DMA settings.

On to Codecs as that did not resolve the issue. How do I track down what codecs "rogue" or otherwise are installed on my machine? Is a it as simple as a search and delete the offending file? Or am I essentially at a "oh well.. time to format and reinstall...." again?

Collapse -
Keep at it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: DMA reset

Formatting, in my view won't fix this. You've made some progress and need to keep looking at possible missing (rogue according to Microsoft) codecs, motherboard drivers and more.

Move forward, not backwards.

As to the Microsoft article, it's good but downplays the issue. You can't trust the DMA setting displayed there. But what seems to work well enough is to set it to PIO, click OK (very important step) then go back and set to DMA. Helps in some cases.

Bob

Collapse -
Codecs
by sjmnuke / September 10, 2005 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep at it.

Well, I am now grabbing ACE mega codec pack that you recommended in another article, but can a missing or present codec be the casue of this video stuttering? Is there any other system data that I could provide to pair down the cause?

Collapse -
The other reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Codecs

Most common is a video setting for instance, turning down the video acceleration. Another one is running the video at less that millions of colors. Amazing that 32-bit color setting has less CPU overhead than 16-bit color.

Bob

Collapse -
Codec headache
by sjmnuke / September 11, 2005 12:12 AM PDT

Okay, I have now gotten GSpot, which gives me an idea of the codecs that my machine has installed completely or partially. I have a laundry list of problems most of which include the phrase missing file. At one point I had installed the matroska codecs, then later used the provided uninstaller to remove it. Unfortunately it Matroska seems to have left some fragments behind and I am unsure of how to remove them. The parent file or some other part of the codec is gone, however some fragments are scattered throughout the my machine. When a codec is installed, where is it "put" I understand its not a single file anymore, and is also placed in registry. How do I root out all of the pieces of remaining codec pieces so my machine no longer sees a fractured codec as a whole working one?

e.g. the following seems to be a particular trouble maker:

DSH ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder ** File Missing: C:\Program Files\Matroska Pack\ffdshow\ffdshow

DSH Friendly Name ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder
DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\Program Files\Matroska Pack\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
DSH DirectShow CLSID{04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}

Collapse -
Wait it gets better
by sjmnuke / September 11, 2005 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Codec headache

Well after tinkering a bit I found in cotrol panel the Sounds and audio devices and on the hardware tab there is a device listed as video codecs. I was happy. I opened up properties, and there were all the good and bad little codecs! I clicked on them and windows eve reported to me when I attempted to acces any given codec whether it functioned or not, so I wen tthrough, opening and verifying each one, and if it was not working correctly clicked remove. I thought problem solved. Then I went back in after accidentally clicking okay, and all the evil codecs I know I had chosent to remove were back! How do I exercise these demons?

Collapse -
Bad to worse
by sjmnuke / September 17, 2005 12:08 PM PDT

Well, I now have SP 2, and have updated every possible driver on my machine, removed every codec but windows approved codecs. Now I still get green screen video playback, or in some cases now, My audio will cease to function in the middle of watching a clip. After the audio stops workig there it continues to not work until i remoeve and re install the drivers or restart. So now I cant watch or listen to any web based content, however, my video clips resident on the hard drive play just fine, albeit using only BSplayer. I could really use a driection to go in as I am now completely stumped. Codecs, drivers, removed and reinstalled, I just have no idea which way to go now.
Please help.

Collapse -
Drop...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Bad to worse

Drop me your HIJACKTHIS log file to my email box in my profile so I can look under the hood. Somethings amiss.

Bob

Collapse -
You might consider this...
by essies / September 25, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

I encountered the exact same problem you are describing. I found my wireless network card to be the root of all evil: ejecting it causes my video to play smoothly, while inserting it again causes all video to stutter again. As I discovered this a few minutes ago, I just logged a support request with the card's manufacturer NetGear. If you are interested, just let me know so I can keep you posted.

Greetz,

Collapse -
stuttering videos
by pwag68 / September 6, 2008 7:22 AM PDT

Did you get an answer from your wireless card company on how to remedy the problem?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!