Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Stuttered Playback Problem

I have a Panasonic DV Camcorder (NV-DS27) with a i-Link connection. I can hook up to my computer with a Firewire cable.

When capturing footage from my Camcorder in Windows Movie Maker 2, at the DV-AVI settings (the highest available on my system 720 x 520 or something?) I'm left with a file that when played back stutters both audio and visuals.

At lower settings/resolutions capturing footage is fine. I would like to know if anyone else has had similar problems and if so how they were resolved. My system specifications are noted below:

-------------------------------------------------------
I'm running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, AMD Athlon 2000, 512 RAM, 80gb Hard Drive and ATI-All-in-Wonder graphics card, 32mb.
-------------------------------------------------------

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuttered Playback Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuttered Playback Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you cure that other problem?

In reply to: Stuttered Playback Problem

Collapse -
Re: Did you cure that other problem?

In reply to: Did you cure that other problem?

Yes, I did, I'm not entirely sure how, I tried various setting tweaks and eventually all was well again.

My Firewire Card, includes two Firewire Ports and 3 USB 2.0 ports, this was added after purchasing my PC, I've noticed that when I plug in my USB 2.0 DVD Re-Writer, the entire system slows to a halt -- simply by being connected. It burns both CD's and DVD's fine but fairly slowly onwards of 30+ minutes.

Do you think perhaps there might be a fault with my actual Firewire/USB 2.0 Card?

Collapse -
That's a big clue.

In reply to: Re: Did you cure that other problem?

Thanks for that clue about the USB DVD writer.

If this was my machine, I'd stop, then disable the IMAPI SERVICE (reference http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/04/CQA/ and others)

That's just one possible reason for it to bog down. But I can't use the Native XP CD recording so it's turned off on my machines. More reading at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php

Just a FYI, I use the software than came with the DVD recorder, Nero and a great piece of freeware from http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ which replaces any function that IMAPI may have provided.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.