Samsung forum

General discussion

Stutter with Samsung Dongle & HD

by donrn1 / April 2, 2011 10:03 AM PDT

I have a 58" Samsung Plasma TV and just purchased the dongle so I could see my videos, pictures and hear music on the TV. I am having the following problems:
1) On home recorded HD videos it will only play a few seconds before it has to load again. It does this continuously unless I manually stop it.
2) I returns me to MEDIA when I want to choose music from my main PC which is DLNA (as are all). I have almost 4,000 tunes.
3) It is finicky about picture folders.

It does see all the PC's as sources of DLNA.
Since there seems to be very little documentation about how the TV and the Dongle work together with each other and other devices I am totally in the dark. Also, I am considering buying a Samsung Wireless Bluray player and I can't tell if I should just hook the dongle up to the player OR I need to buy a Samsung player with built in dongle.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stutter with Samsung Dongle & HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stutter with Samsung Dongle & HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things to try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 2:14 PM PDT

Make the TV the ONLY WiFi device in the house. This will give it the full bandwidth and see if it's that.
Bob

Collapse -
Stutter with Samsung Dongle & HD
by donrn1 / April 3, 2011 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Things to try.

Alredy tried that with no result. I have a fast, multiband router which can operate simulutaneously on both bands and I get the same result on either band and all the systems. It seems to be a caching issue with either the dongle or the TV. Maybe there's a way to alter how memory is allotted?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 6:37 AM PDT

Samsung offers no adjustment for that.

The next test is to get wired. Have NO wireless connection at play in the test.

Again, the full setup is eluding me here. I do encounter setups that owners insist should work and they won't share the details. For example this could be some laptop serving up the content on wifi and the owner insisting it's fine because of dual band wifi. You never know what you'll find out if you ask.
Bob

Collapse -
Did that too
by donrn1 / April 3, 2011 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

I have a PC running XP hooked directly to the TV and it works as it should. So, to recap, the Vista and Win 7 machines can't play HD through the samsung 58 plasma but the XP directly wired can.

Collapse -
Which only shows it can work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2011 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Did that too

Makes you wonder what is going on with the 7/Vista machines. Too often I find it's the firewall again.

Remember that Samsung can't help with your network or PCs.
Bob

Collapse -
Did that too
by donrn1 / April 3, 2011 11:39 PM PDT

I have already tried disabling Norton 360 or NIS with no change in result. Thus far, Samsung has not even chimed in. I was considering buying a Bluray player (Samsung) for the system with built-in wifi. My 58 plasma doesn't have built in internet access. I would like to stream Netflix. It will be intresting to see if (assuming it's capable of doing this and, again, Samsung literature is sorely lacking in description)that will provide better video.

Any new ideas other than repeating the mantra about Samsung and their lack of support?

Collapse -
With direct connections on said machines not working.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2011 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Did that too

This leads me to suspect the PCs. Folk configure such all over the map so guessing what it is, is just that. If there was one thing then we could just answer it and move on.

Another issue is beyond the owner's configuration is what are these machines. You still see home made machines or user installed Windows with a missing driver.

Sorry but the clues are not here yet.
Bob

Collapse -
PC's
by donrn1 / April 4, 2011 12:28 PM PDT

One is an HP laptop DV4 1160US running windows 7. One is a Sony Vaio 260 E laptop running Vista and one is an HP 6337 (desktop) running Vista. The direct connect PC is an old Dell inspiron running XP. None of the configurations have been changed from out of the box.

I hope that answers your questions and we can now move along top solving the problem.

Steve

Collapse -
That's a good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2011 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: PC's

I found out of the box configurations to fail as the supplied antivirus/firewall created issues. Also the stock firewall settings can interfere.

It's a shame Samsung can not help with PC configurations but you know that as the Windows versions ran up Microsoft and other companies had to install more protection (which saps speed.)

To solve the problem you reduce what's running on each machine to what Microsoft calls a CLEAN BOOT. If that fails we have to consider other tests such as slipping in a new drive and a test install of the retail version of the OS that is supported. Then we compare that with the machine maker's choice of configuration.

This work is costly so most won't have it done. And I agree it's too much to ask owners to work this.

This is why Media players like Roku, Apple TV and such continue to sell well.
Bob

Collapse -
Try Serviio
by Troutking / April 3, 2011 9:50 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.