Laptops forum

General discussion

sturdy new 14"+ ultraportable under 2.1kg/4.6lbs?

I need to get a sturdy new 14"+ ultraportable (ideally around 2.1kg/4.6lbs, not much more) with a good bright screen - for Photoshop work - for a long trip. An external monitor is out.

I have lots of PC sofware, so I don't want a Mac. Plus, the Macs are either 12", 15" or 17". The 12" are light but too small, and the 15" too heavy.

I thought about the Z series Vaio's, but they don't have X-brite screens. The Samsung X05 and X10 feel too flimsy. The bright screen Fujitsu S6000's are only 13.3".

Help!

NoBob.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sturdy new 14"+ ultraportable under 2.1kg/4.6lbs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sturdy new 14"+ ultraportable under 2.1kg/4.6lbs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sturdy new 14"+ ultraportable under 2.1kg/4.6lbs?

In reply to: sturdy new 14"+ ultraportable under 2.1kg/4.6lbs?

The issue of sturdy makes me thing of the Fujitsu Toughbook. Your requirement for wieght removes the possibility the unit may have enough case strength to make it not feel flimsy.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: sturdy new 14"+ ultraportable under 2.1kg/4.6lbs?

For me the IBM T41 series comes to mind. They are about 4.5 pounds and have 14.1 inch screens. I don't think they have the extra bright technology though but IBM's seem pretty sturdy and have the weight and screen size you want.

Collapse -

I continued searching and came across the T41 too. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to take a closer look at it, but I'd like to get as good a screen as possible. If not, I'll have problems tweaking digital pics.

NoBob.

Collapse -
Tweaking Digital Pictures. Are you getting a calibrator?

Collapse -
Re: Tweaking Digital Pictures. Are you getting a calibrato

In reply to: Tweaking Digital Pictures. Are you getting a calibrator?

Thanks Bob. I keep getting a 504 message when I try to view that article. You couldn't email (a*r*t*s.rob@mageos.com - please delete the three *) it to me could you?

NoBob

Collapse -
Looks like that site VANISHED!

In reply to: Tweaking Digital Pictures. Are you getting a calibrator?

Web rot at just the right time!

Let's try this one?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0404/04040501pantonecolorvision.asp

If you are concerned about the color accuracy, then you need this. If you are just taking out RED-EYE or "basic" items that don't need to be color correct, then you can pass.

Let me comment that these used to be much more expensive.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.