General discussion

stupid raid drivers

I have just built a new machine with a Biostar TA890FXE motherboard. I am using raid 1 with two identical 1TB drives. When I try to install windows 7 it says that there are missing raid drivers. I tried using my drivers CD and it did not even see any drivers. I tried using the newest driver on my flash drive as well as windows vista and xp drivers. None were recognized. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the fix?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: stupid raid drivers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: stupid raid drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Link please.

Supply a link to the product's manual.

- Collapse -
manual
- Collapse -
Ok. Page 27.
- Collapse -
sorry i left that out

I already changed the BIOS setting to RAID and configured the array. Even after that I got the driver problem. Also I have looked at the forum you posted and his solution which was to use the Biostar driver instead of AMD. I have tried all the drivers that I can find. (I cant find the AMD ones though).

- Collapse -
Looks grim.

Time to call that supplier or the motherboard support site. We tried the usual and it's not ready for consumption. I read a few reviews and the board docs are lacking.

Sorry to read another failure.
Bob

- Collapse -
So you would think

You would think that would be the disappointing end of it. Wrong again. The Biostar site does not post a phone number and they did not reply to my email. (probably because they have no solution)...

Oh well looks like no RAID for now and no Biostar in the future.

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I can't see what happened when you "changed the BIOS setting to RAID and configured the array". Many times I find folk that did that but the makers are assuming we know how to configure the array or more.

For example you wrote you tried XP but XP is not supported. This could lead to corrupt drives that fail later.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258586-32-biostar-t5xe-raid-setup and many other posts complain about no documentation and how folk have to guess the setup. I don't see the details so I'm left with a failed system.
Bob

- Collapse -
Oh well

I emailed Biostar and set up RAID exactly as instructed. So I'm pretty much just blaming this one on Biostar and mourning for my loss.

- Collapse -
At the link that you posted

do you see the Serial ATA AHCI/RAID drivers? Download the W7 driver and extract it onto a floppy. Yeah, legacy from the dark ages. Load the RAID driver during W7 installation BEFORE selecting the drive to install W7. For me, W7 installer failed to find mass storage drivers on a CD or flash. Maybe it will find if the files are in the root directory but I didn't bother to investigate cause I have a FDD. BTW you will probably find same RAID drivers on mobo CD in one of the directories.

- Collapse -
huh

Did it see them on the floppy but not the flashdrive or CD? I did try the ATA AHCI/RAID driver and the one on the disk

- Collapse -
Are you saying

you used floppy, chose custom for W7 install, and it didn't work?

- Collapse -
no

What I am saying is that all I have is usb and optical. I have some old floppy drives but they use narrower ide cables and dont fit into the mobo. I think I will just go buy a FDD or not use RAID.

- Collapse -
You could

CNET Forums

Forum Info