DVD rom is read only DVD rw+ ect is read write erase ect.
2nd- use Nero.
by default windows doesnt burn Data Dvd's. you have to use a diff proggie for that like Nero for example.
you can use Cd's if you want, but theres no need.
Nero is prob the most recognized program for doing what you want and then Some.
I feel like a moron for not understanding this, but I've tried so many helps and still have no clue. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 PC with MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.
I have a 16X DVD-ROM and a 16X DVD+/-RW, designated as drives D: and E:, respectively.
I'd like to copy my Word files to back them up. I bought DVD+Rs to back up data. However, it doesn't seem that anything I try works. If I insert a DVD+R into the D: drive, Windows continuously asks me to insert a CD. If I use the E: drive, a dialog box says "Windows can perform the same action each time you insert a disk or connect a device with this kind of file." Blank CD ... What do you want Windows to do?" Then, the following tasks are listed:
1. Burn a CD using Windows Media Player
2. Open writeable CD folder using Windows Explorer
3. Burn CD using MUSICMATCH Burner Plus
4. Create a CD using Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5
5. Make a music CD using Sonic RecordNow!
6. Add files using Sonic RecordNow!
7. Format using Sonic DLA
8. Burn CD using RealPlayer
9. Create a CD using iTunes
10. Take no action (LOL)
If I simply try to copy 1 file from My Documents and then try to paste it to E:, I get the Problem Copying dialog box telling me that "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?" However, there are no options. I just Cancel it.
I have several specific questions. Also, if you can help explain anything else that would help me, I'd certainly appreciate it. Perhaps you can suggest a book or online help that can help me also.
1. What's the difference between my D: and E: drives?
2. Do I have the correct media (DVD+R) to copy regular data files for backup, for exmaple, Word files?
3. What do I have to do before copying any files?
4. Should I buy CDs as backup media?
5. *** What kind of PC class should I enroll in!!!*** lol
Thank you all for any help you can give me. I appreciate it and your time.