HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Stupid questions about CD & DVD drives

by mike.searles / May 6, 2007 10:16 PM PDT

I feel like a moron for not understanding this, but I've tried so many helps and still have no clue. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 PC with MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

I have a 16X DVD-ROM and a 16X DVD+/-RW, designated as drives D: and E:, respectively.

I'd like to copy my Word files to back them up. I bought DVD+Rs to back up data. However, it doesn't seem that anything I try works. If I insert a DVD+R into the D: drive, Windows continuously asks me to insert a CD. If I use the E: drive, a dialog box says "Windows can perform the same action each time you insert a disk or connect a device with this kind of file." Blank CD ... What do you want Windows to do?" Then, the following tasks are listed:

1. Burn a CD using Windows Media Player
2. Open writeable CD folder using Windows Explorer
3. Burn CD using MUSICMATCH Burner Plus
4. Create a CD using Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 5
5. Make a music CD using Sonic RecordNow!
6. Add files using Sonic RecordNow!
7. Format using Sonic DLA
8. Burn CD using RealPlayer
9. Create a CD using iTunes
10. Take no action (LOL)

If I simply try to copy 1 file from My Documents and then try to paste it to E:, I get the Problem Copying dialog box telling me that "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file. What do you want Windows to do?" However, there are no options. I just Cancel it.

I have several specific questions. Also, if you can help explain anything else that would help me, I'd certainly appreciate it. Perhaps you can suggest a book or online help that can help me also.

1. What's the difference between my D: and E: drives?
2. Do I have the correct media (DVD+R) to copy regular data files for backup, for exmaple, Word files?
3. What do I have to do before copying any files?
4. Should I buy CDs as backup media?

5. *** What kind of PC class should I enroll in!!!*** lol

Thank you all for any help you can give me. I appreciate it and your time.

Regards,
Amelia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stupid questions about CD & DVD drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stupid questions about CD & DVD drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dvd rom ect
by xFulcrumx / May 6, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

DVD rom is read only DVD rw+ ect is read write erase ect.
2nd- use Nero.

by default windows doesnt burn Data Dvd's. you have to use a diff proggie for that like Nero for example.

you can use Cd's if you want, but theres no need.

Nero is prob the most recognized program for doing what you want and then Some.

Collapse -
Copy & Paste Requires A Formatted Disc
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 12:52 AM PDT

Copy/Paste, Drag and drop, and "Send To" are the same thing. In order to copy and paste the files to a DVD disc, you'll need to use a formatted disc of which DVD-RW's are the best media for doing so. (Not DVD+/-R. You'll need a packet writing program such as Nero's InCD or Roxio's Drag-to-Disk to format the disc. Once you've formatted the DVD-RW, you can then perform the copy and paste option you've requested. It is possible to format a disc using the "Sonic DLA" program mentioned in your post but you'll want to purchase a DVD-RW disk first. I don't recommend using a formatted disc though.

Because packet writing programs aren't the most reliable backup methods, you can easily do a traditional burn where the files are added to a project and then burned and finalized on the disc. You will STILL need a burning program such as Sonic, Roxio, Nero, or the free CDBurnerXP program. Although I don't have Sonic on this machine, you should be able to click on Start-Programs-Sonic, then tinker with the options to simply burn all your required files to the DVD+R disc you now have. Remember though, if the disc is "finalized", you won't be able to write to it again UNLESS it's a RW (rewritable) disc...DVD-RW, CD-RW, etc.) It's a waste of a good DVD+R disc to simply write one file to it.

The free CDBurnerXP program can be downloaded from the link below:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

Your D: (DVD-ROM) drive ONLY "reads" DVDs and CD's.
Your E: (16X DVD+/-RW) drive, "reads" and "writes/burns" to DVD's and CDs.

As to which PC class, just read through all the posts and this forum, INCLUDING the "Tips" thread at the top of the page and you'll learn a lot and quickly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
nice
by xFulcrumx / May 7, 2007 1:22 AM PDT

nice program that Grif posted --- The free CDBurnerXP program can be downloaded from the link below:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

I use Nero for yrs with no problems, thats why I harp on it So much.

but I think the Program that Grif Linked is a great program, especially for my father in law. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.