Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Stupid question for subway riders

Can anyone tell me why subways everywhere seem to air-condition the trains instead of the stations/tunnels?
The heat dumped from the A/C on trains makes the stations intolerable in Summer. It would seem far more efficient to take the naturally cooler, underground tunnels & stations and augment them with air conditioning and just have the trains themselves draw the chilled outside air.
Am I missing something?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stupid question for subway riders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stupid question for subway riders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well

In reply to: Stupid question for subway riders

if they had a way to seal up the tunnels as the size would be so big and hard to do

Collapse -
In either even, you're dealing with

an enclosed space. The heat is being generated primarily by energy use and human bodies. In northern climates this heat becomes more useful in winter. Whether the AC is in the trains or in the external environment probably makes little difference. It might be possible to build a huge device that acts like a heat pump and conditions the tunnel system. That would have to cost plenty. As well, remember that the bad stuff that comes out of the tunnels in any season is fed into the city air. So, heat from the tunnels channeled into the city in summer would mean additional AC need for buildings....creating additional outside heat....creating additional AC need for...... Can you see the cascade coming. Happy

Collapse -
some systems are probably too old

In reply to: In either even, you're dealing with

built before a/c existed. rehab probably too expensive. I remember when you could open the windows on the chicago system. then you had heat, wind and noise. be glad that it was added to the cars and has become more reliable.

I might be wrong but isn't the DC station system a/c?

Collapse -
(NT) stupid me--my reply was to punterjoe--wakeup w-h

In reply to: some systems are probably too old

Collapse -
The NYC subway system has nearly 700 miles of tunnels

You think taxes there are high now? Imagine having to foot the electric bill to air condition 700 miles of tunnels.

The system is ventilated in such a way that if they could do it, the hot air would be forced upwards into the street. Nice idea but I really doubt it's practical or possible.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.