Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Stuff this in your pipe, RIAA!

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 31, 2004 10:58 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuff this in your pipe, RIAA!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuff this in your pipe, RIAA!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Stuff this in your pipe, RIAA!
by Josh K / March 31, 2004 11:45 PM PST

While I don't condone piracy, I think the RIAA needs to start considering the possibility that sales are down because so much of the music is just plain BAD.

Collapse -
Old news, but...
by Dick White / April 1, 2004 2:01 AM PST

The substance of the findings is old news. It has been well known at street level that CD sales and "illegal" file sharing are not significantly cause-related. As Josh put it, sales are down on the new music because it is so bad it's not worth paying money for. The good stuff still goes platinum within weeks of release. What's new here is that somebody with Harvard University credentials has statistically and rigorously demonstrated the lack of correlation.

And I would further add to Josh's "bad" comment that a fair amount of the good music out there available to be downloaded (or rather, should I say pirated...) is turned into bad music by crappy ripping. The iTunes and other download-for-pay services are showing that people are willing to pay a reasonable price to get the good music they want in a more portable format. RIAA and their ilk are just upset that they can't control the market anymore. So, if they can't bully your wallet directly, they'll bully it indirectly with legal fees.

dw

Collapse -
well said, ****, and
by IanC_OZ / April 1, 2004 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Old news, but...

that's why I spat the dummy about the RIAA's election budget.

Ian

Collapse -
Bah. Good quality?
by ionpro / April 1, 2004 3:31 PM PST

Their ripping may be top notch, but their encoding sucks. They give me a 128Kbps AAC or MP3 and expect me to pay full retail for it? Bah! Everything about 14kHz or so is just mush. But, then again, the way all the CDs are premixed so far upward these days (for volume), everything up there is pretty bad, anyway. You need sine approximations to get any sort of clarity above 18kHz. No, if I really like the music, I'll try to buy it second-hand, or direct from the artist on CD. No iTunes for me.

Now, if they offered me full-quality wave or raw copies, or even lossless SHMs or FLACs, I'd probably jump all over it for my favorite songs. It's hard to find those on Kazaa, anyway.

- Should be sleeping Jason

Collapse -
Re:i may be in the minority here
by jonah jones / April 1, 2004 6:05 PM PST

but IMO, iTunes and the like are a rip-off too!
99c per song works out to almost the price of a regular CD...

josh is right, there is SO MUCH crap out there it's unbelievable...

in the last few months i must have downloaded over 100 CDs!! you know what i kept? "maybe" 40 songs...

Collapse -
Re:Re:i may be in the minority here
by TONI H / April 2, 2004 1:23 AM PST

Everything I have downloaded from p2p sites over the last four years has been oldies singles that I just can't find anymore. Even if I could find an old full album, I would rip the single from it, but the old albums are impossible to locate. I've searched at some of the 'antique' type music sites in order to purchase, and they don't have them either. There aren't any more than probably thirty out of a couple of thousand that are relatively new (last year or so) that I've even been interested in getting. I've heard the new stuff and I don't care much for it. I have to agree about most of it being bad, crappy so-called music. I wouldn't buy any of it and I surely won't be downloading it either (free or otherwise).

TONI

Collapse -
That's why I think MP3 sharing HELPS the RIAA, if they would realize it.
by James Denison / April 3, 2004 1:49 AM PST

Anyone who thinks they are getting quality music from MP3 files either are tone deaf, or just don't care about the quality. Yes, they aren't too bad, but still don't compare to the standard CDA file type. Pop, crackles, bad volume control, all sorts of ban conversions on most shared MP3 make it imperative that if you like a certain song or album that for quality recording you WILL go out and buy it. It's no different than hearing it on the radio and deciding you like that one and purchasing a copy you can have. You can actually get some better recordings from a good stereo FM station than many downloaded MP3 files offer. Most of those downloading MP3 files and not buying the albums of the ones they like the most are those that listen to a radio and record it to their tape walkman and do the same. In other words, they are those who wouldn't be buying anyway. That is nothing new. Maybe as broadband increases and larger file sizes of better quality become more the standard then the RIAA may have a better argument, but right they're blowing smoke in my opinion.

Collapse -
Re: i may be in the minority here
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 2, 2004 2:55 AM PST

Hi, Jonah.

The thing is that with CD's, you're often paying for a lot of stuff you don't want just to hear the few songs you do. An example is Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild" classic rock album/CD, on which only the title cut and "Magic Carpet Ride" are really worth listening to -- that's two of 16 tracks!

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: i may be in the minority here
by Josh K / April 2, 2004 3:03 AM PST

3 in my opinion. "Pusher" is a great song!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.