Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

stuff running in the background, according to Task Manager

by OHMCD / July 21, 2006 2:38 PM PDT

Hi friends here at cnet,

About a month ago, I upgraded my desktop computer's operating system from Millenium Edition to XP home edition (with Service Pack 2). It has been running very slow and sluggish. I have some instruction books on XP where I could probably figure out the problems, once I settle down to reading them. Until then, I would like to make a quick investigation to see if there are any unneccessary programs running in the background.

I would like to ask if anybody here with knowledge of XP system programs and program abbreviations, about the identity of applications that I found running in the Windows Task Manager. The program that I have noticed is taking up the most system resources is "svchost.exe"

It is listed several times in task manager, sometimes showing several thousand Ks. could you tell me what that one is? And here is a list of most of the others showing on Task Manager: (any of these possibly malicious programs?)

Windows Task Manager - Processess

svchost.exe
Smc.exe
wcescomm.exe
tcpsvcs.exe
pctspk.exe
spoolsv.exe
NMBgMonitor.exe
rapimgr.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
alg.exe
System

The programs currently installed on my computer (that I see in the

Programs folder) are:

AT&T ISP, CheckIt firewall, ActiveSync, FreshDownload, Grisoft/AVG antivirus, Internet Explorer, Adaware, Memorex CD labelmaker, MS Messenger, Microsoft Frontpage, Movie Maker, Firefox Mozilla, Nero, NetMeeting, Outlook Express, Roxio Photosuite, Windows MediaPlayer, Windows Update (I believe is shut off), and somehow a Yahoo program got installed on my computer (a toolbar or other).

Thanx in advance.

Don

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: stuff running in the background, according to Task Manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: stuff running in the background, according to Task Manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
svchost process
by chubatta / July 21, 2006 4:57 PM PDT

hi don,
svchost is the windows generic process and cant be killed.still it is the best source for spyware and virus attacks.make sure your box is properly patched.

u can see the svchost process by this command.
tasklist/svc.

check any junk path is there.
try to disable some unnecessary services.
rep me with update

Collapse -
Try this
by tallin / July 22, 2006 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: svchost process
Collapse -
re svchost process
by Daviddude / July 23, 2006 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: svchost process

Hi, I tried that command myself just to check it out and it doesn't work on my machine. I am running windows xp home sp2. I did Start, Run then typed in tasklist/svc and I received an error message that Windows can't find tasklist/svc.

Collapse -
Try this
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 23, 2006 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: re svchost process

It's a command prompt window, not the Run command.

Goto Start > Run, type in cmd and press Enter

In the new window type in tasklist /svc {notice the space between t and /}. Press Enter

Mark

Collapse -
Mark's Reply
by Daviddude / July 23, 2006 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this

thanks but this is what my computer said when I did what you said" C:\Documents and Settings\New Dad>tasklist /svc
'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Collapse -
keyboard command for task manager
by OHMCD / July 23, 2006 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: re svchost process

If you have Windows XP, press the keys Control, Alt and Delete simultaneously. The task manager pops up - that is, if your computer isn't freezing up - which is usually the occasion you would like to know what all is running, or shouldn't be running on your computer.

Don

Collapse -
Besides the other good advice,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 22, 2006 9:12 PM PDT

can you tell us more about your computer?

You have recently upgraded from ME to XP(SP2), but what speed processor do you have, what size hard disk and how much free space, and how much RAM do you have?

Processor speed and hard disk capacity are not vital factors with XP, although a very slow processor, and/or a very cramped hard disk will cause XP to suffer, but the main problem with upgrading from Win 9x/ME to XP is RAM.

Microsoft says XP will run on 64MB of RAM, but users find that 512MB of RAM is really a minimum, and 1GB or more is much more preferable. Essentially, the more RAM, the faster and easier XP works.

Mark

Collapse -
more about the computer
by OHMCD / July 23, 2006 9:00 PM PDT

The computer has a Pentium III processor with 128 mb of ram. A 60 gb umax hard drive.

It may be low on ram, and should get new ram upgrade. I'll have to find what the limit is on the amount I can add.

Whats the opinion here on upgrading the bios? XP for Dummies says that I should upgrade the bios before upgrading from Millenium Editon to XP. My computer company's tech support told me that upgrading the bios isn't neccessary.

Don

Collapse -
He's right
by Themisive / July 24, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

You do need more RAM, get as much as you pocket will stand, but as for the BIOS, I tend to go witih Bob's maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

How old is the mobo anyway, you could well need a new one, and the RAM for that.

Collapse -
Re: He's right
by OHMCD / July 24, 2006 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: He's right

Themisive, You said,

"How old is the mobo anyway, you could well need a new one, and the RAM for that." I purchased the computer in 2001. I sure hope that I don't need to get a new motherboard. I don't have time for that. If it is something that I would have to eventually do, would I use the RAM from this motherboard in it? If I can't, then maybe I shouldn't invest in new ram for this one.

Don

Collapse -
8 0f your list I have running as a part of WINXP
by DarCLew2 / July 23, 2006 8:46 AM PDT

pctspk.exe Do you have a pct modem with speaker?
All of these are okay: lsass.exe
services.exe, winlogon.exe, csrss.exe, smss.exe, alg.exe, System & svchost.exe (5 listings).
NMBgMonitor.exe This may be your Monitor and I bet the rest are a part of your system, like tcp/ip for dialup, you also have a communications in there also.
I don't have Smc.exe, wcescomm.exe, tcpsvcs.exe, pctspk.exe,NMBgMonitor.exe or rapimgr.exe. I bet you need all those processes to function. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
Re: 8 0f your list I have running as a part of WINXP
by OHMCD / July 24, 2006 1:04 PM PDT

When I was having problems with a virus, six months ago, my antivirus program seemed to associate ''lsass.exe'' with a virus. Since it has been showing on all of my reinstallations since then, I have asumed it is okay, whatever it is. This time I suspected that svchost.exe is the culprit. It is using alot of system resources appearing several times on task manager.
Anyway, I'd better browse through that XP book this week.

Don

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!