Dell forum

Question

Studio XPS 435MT unable to boot

by alarcuni / May 4, 2012 8:24 AM PDT

Computer will not boot using Windows 7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Studio XPS 435MT unable to boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Studio XPS 435MT unable to boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be many things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 9:49 AM PDT

Bad drive, bad ram, a machine that does not run 7, etc.

Collapse -
Answer
Dell forum: Studio XPS 435MT unable to boot
by DELL-Rakesh-R / June 11, 2012 7:54 AM PDT

Hi alarcuni,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to know about the computer issue. In order to help you quicker I need more information.
You said computer will not boot using windows7. Does that mean you were using some other operating system & you just recently changed the OS to windows 7? As far as I know, studio xps 435MT does not go with windows7 operating system.
Do you get any error message on the screen?
Please run hard drive diagnostics to isolate weather this is hardware or software related issue.
Power ON the system, immediately starts tapping F12 key on keyboard. You will see 'one time boot menu' screen. Please highlight 'diagnostics' & hit enter. This diagnostics will run for approx. 5 minutes. If the test passes then we can try reinstalling windows7 by doing clean installation. If test fails then there is a problem with the hard drive & we might have to get that replaced.

Rakesh R
Social Media Certified Professional
Dell Community
You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/dellcares/
https://wwww.facebook.com/dell

Collapse -
Dell Studio XPS 435MT Boot Issues
by Hokulea / August 3, 2012 5:44 AM PDT

To begin with, the XPS 435MT runs Win 7 x64 just fine. I have been using Win 7 Pro since it was released with no issues.

On the night of July 26, 2012 I shut my system down due to approaching thunderstorms even though I use a UPS that offers much better overload/underload protection than the run of the mill surge protector power strip solution. The next morning my 435MT would not boot. The power button LED would flash amber once then nothing would happen.

Checked the back of the 435MT and the green LED on the power supply was illuminated green. Using an old laptop, I did a search online and found a Dell forum thread that described the same issues I was experiencing. The majority of the solutions pointed to replacing the PSU due to degradation in output as a result of aging. So, even though the original PSU still worked it didn't produce enough power to boot the system.

The stock PSU is a Delta model DPS-360FB-1A which only produces a maximum of 300W on the two 12V rails combined. I ordered an OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W from Newegg for $50. Once installed, the 435MT booted up with no problem. Just about any ATX form factor PSU will fit. The OCZ600MXSP is about 1" longer than the stock unit at 6.5" (165mm) and fit just fine. It also has a downward facing 140mm fan that runs quietly as well as providing increased cooling.

In summary, the stock PSU in the XPS 435MT is barely adequate to the task when new and after a couple of years degrades to a point where it will no longer provide enough power to boot the system. Rather than waste time and money troubleshooting the motherboard, hard disks, memory, etc, replacing the PSU is quick and relatively easy to do. I would suggest a PSU that is rated to at least 450W.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.