Laptops forum

General discussion

Studio 1555 vs Macbook

by mrkfc / May 19, 2009 9:11 AM PDT

Well, I've narrowed down all my options to these two laptops.

Dell Studio 15.6 inch LED 16:9 widescreen 1080p, 2.4 GHz 3 MB L2 core2duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 512 MB ATI HD 4570, 250GB HDD

Everyone knows the stats of the off the shelf 2.0 GHz Macbook

Dell gets better battery life on power saver, better processor, RAM and screen. Macbook is prettier, longer battery warranty and a nice touch pad too.

Graphics is comparable, Dell edges out slightly according to benchmarks on the cards.

I'm indifferent to the extra weight and size, with software the prices are about even.

Serious, intelligent comments only please Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Studio 1555 vs Macbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Studio 1555 vs Macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Is the OS an issue or feature?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Studio 1555 vs Macbook
Collapse -
OS
by mrkfc / May 19, 2009 10:20 AM PDT

I'm indifferent to OS, I'll learn to use OSX quickly, I already know how to use windows.

Also would the macbook be powerful enough for virtualization? I can't see why not but I can't find anyone who has done it.

Collapse -
As to virtualization, it's the same guts so the same results
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2009 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: OS

Or rather nearly the same performances. If the OS does not matter then it's down to aesthetics, battery life (not battery time!) and the money.

What do I use? A 550 buck HP. And I figure 2 year replacement cycles. You?
Bob

Collapse -
The Mac uses virtualization to
by orlbuckeye / May 19, 2009 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: OS

run Windows. If you want virtualization there are a few products for Windows. Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and Suns's VirtualBox.

Collapse -
by JonTitor / May 19, 2009 11:36 AM PDT

why not just go with the Studio XPS 13?

Collapse -
Macbook
by Renegade Knight / May 21, 2009 7:38 AM PDT

My last Dell broke within a couple of moths of getting it. My Macbook is doing well 6 months in. I installed Windows on it using bootcamp to help with the transition but have pretty much settled into OS X for daily use.

The multi touch touch pad is pretty nice. It's pretty much the best feature.

Collapse -
Get the Mac
by DellREALLYSucks / August 25, 2009 7:49 AM PDT

Mac have excellent serviec records and great graphics Dell will leave you the moment there is a problem. They won't keep their end of the contract and if there is any problem they will not fix it you are better taking it to a local shop where they will not pull the wool over your eyes.
DELL needs to pull up their socks and bow to customers demands!

Collapse -
dell vs macbook ?
by krush87 / August 26, 2009 1:47 AM PDT

so im using a studio 1555 and i could say im really impressed on this baby. from what i see below ur gonna get a p8600 processor right ? spend a bit more and u get exactly like mine the p8700. Grin

back to the topic .

i choose mac for stability and multimedia creation.

i choose the studio for its windows compatible applications.

btw the macbook is kinda old. if ur prompt to get a mac, get a 13inch macbook pro instead. almost the same price..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?