Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Students kicked off school bus in St. Paul

magine sending your kids off to school, but when they get to the bus they are told they can't get on because they speak English.

That's right, English.

It happened to a few children in St. Paul and now the school district is apologizing.

Rachel Armstrong sent her kids to pick up the bus as usual Monday, but after the driver let the kids on, he told them he would not pick them up again. He even said he wouldn't take them home that afternoon.

Armstrong left work early Tuesday, forced to pick up her kids from Phalen Lake Elementary School.

Her twin girls, 10, and her son, 8, were kicked off their regular school bus. They were told by the bus driver the route is for non-English speaking students only.

"I was furious. I was at work and I was just mad." Armstrong said. "I felt like we were being discriminated because we speak English. Just because they speak English, they can't ride the school bus. I mean, this is America, right?"

http://kstptv5.com/article/stories/S21143.html?cat=1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Students kicked off school bus in St. Paul
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Students kicked off school bus in St. Paul
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Whoa Nellie

In reply to: Students kicked off school bus in St. Paul

Collapse -
Re: this is America, right?"

The district also discovered the Armstrongs no longer live in the Phalen Lake School boundary because they moved last year.

It's America and they don't even live in the school district, WHY are they on the bus anyway?
Collapse -
Next question.....

In reply to: Re: this is America, right?"

Why is a school district's buses traveling outside of the district boundries to service non-English speaking kids, but not English speaking ?

Collapse -
true

In reply to: Re: this is America, right?"

jp

but id imagine other children who do live there still speak english.

Collapse -
maybe ms armstrong (parent) can NOT READ english

now for the author's attention grabbing first sentence: the students were NOT kicked off the bus, they WERE brought to school. it WAS the parent's RESPONSIBILITY to be familiar with rules regarding her children's transportation. living IN the district would be a good place to start. sometimes it is best to leave the worms in the can.

attention grabber? sure. misleading?: likely. the purpose is to stir up racial tensions? bigotry?: probably.

"BUS TRANSPORTATION
Saint Paul Public Schools provides busing for students who live over one mile from the school. Minnesota law states that transportation by school bus is a privilege, not a right. Please note the following bus safety guidelines:

1. The Saint Paul Public School District will not tolerate disruptions, abusive language, aggressive or dangerous behavior, vandalism, and chemical usage including smoking on school buses.

2. Children may only ride their assigned bus. They may not ride any other bus home. Parents: do not send a note to the school or teacher requesting that your child ride home with a friend or relative. Transportation DOES NOT allow students to ride any other bus than the one assigned.

3. Students must ride their assigned bus home unless prior written notice has been given to their teacher stating that parent has arranged for their child to be picked up.

4. School employees and other citizens are encouraged to report intolerable bus rider behavior to the bus driver or school directly. The bus driver is obliged to report misbehaving students in writing to the principal or their designee.

5. Elementary schools are responsible for enforcing and recording bus rider discipline."
http://phalen.spps.org/Student_and_Family_Guidebook_2004-2005.html

"The Saint Paul Public Schools provides transportation service to students who are attending Saint Paul Public Schools and programs, or who are attending non-public and charter schools that are located within the City of Saint Paul. Transportation is provided to students who meet eligibility requirements contained in the Board of Education Policy 707.00 Eligibility for Student Transportation.

During the 2005-2006 school year the District projects transporting 41,190 students including __________ students attending Saint Paul Public Schools and programs and 3.373 students attending non-public schools located within the City of Saint Paul."
http://www.transportation.spps.org/transportation_home.html

"Integrating the Hmong Language and culture into its curriculum in April. The move is designed to respond to educational concerns of the district's growing Hmong population and retain students who might otherwise enroll in a nearby charter school with a Hmong-centered program.

One out of three children in the St. Paul public schools is Asian, many of them Hmong. As the Hmong population has grown in size and influence, more Hmong parents have called for opportunities for their children to retain their language, culture and customs. Some of these parents, disenchanted with public school offerings, have enrolled their children in the nearby Hope Academy Charter School, a Hmong-centered program.

At Phalen Lake, 45 percent of the students are Asian. A survey of all Phalen Lake parents found that 85 percent support the new language and culture curriculum.

Plans call for Phalen Lake's 640 students to study either Hmong or Spanish language and culture for 50 minutes of regular class time two days a week. Vocabulary and concepts that students are learning in their other classes will be reinforced and taught in their language classes. The program is being phased in starting this spring, and eventually all students will be able to take the curriculum. [From-Star Tribune] (Jan. 4)
http://www.ed.gov/news/newsletters/innovator/2003/0203.html

Collapse -
(NT) More than one side to every media story

In reply to: maybe ms armstrong (parent) can NOT READ english

Collapse -
It does state however

The district decided to enforce the separate routes beginning Monday, but it did not tell the Armstrong family

It sounds like they moved and sent their children to catch the bus and caught the wrong bus to the wrong school. The school should have sent the children home at the end of the day or someone at the school should have taken them to the correct school so they could have gotten home on the correct bus.

Diana
Collapse -
true but the rest you state "is not entirely accurate"

In reply to: It does state however

they did move, they were allowed on the bus with a warning to the correct school.

"But Armstrong's account is not entirely accurate", says St. Paul Public Schools spokeswoman Dayna Kennedy.

"As it turns out, when the Armstrong family moved last year, they landed outside of Phalen Lake's attendance area. Armstrong said she was told her kids would have to transfer if they wanted to keep riding a bus, "or I'd have to find my own way to get them to school." from the link

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/16431957.htm

I agree that the school should have provided transportation back to their home that day only. I think they were correct in contacting the parent to make sure there was a responsible adult to be aware of the situation. it would not be the first time that a parent is 'missing' and care for children is involuntarily given to another.

I first heard this on foxnews this morning, they are still pushing the erroneous statement that they "were kicked off for not speaking english". tabloid tv knows the audience.

I will now say that ms armstrong apparently DOES READ english, I made that statement before learning the school administration was at fault. since the original story was based on a false premise, I investigated further and that statement "it did not tell the Armstrong family" has now been verified.

Collapse -
Yep, and apparent she is not related

to Jack Armstrong, The All American Boy.

Collapse -
You ex-Marine, ex-'Nam guys

could look up the Hmong story, if you don't already know it. They used to have a high suicide rate stateside; don't know if it's better now or not.

Collapse -
Could care less

In reply to: You ex-Marine, ex-'Nam guys

If they want to be American, learn English. If they don't like it here, suicide is painless.

Tom

Collapse -
Re; If they don't like it here, suicide is painless.

In reply to: Could care less

Collapse -
Hmong:

Ethnic group within SE Asia, esp. the hills of Vietnam. Recruited by CIA and others as "scouts" etc. which they did very well and willingly. Earned them the enmity of Uncle Ho, of course, with expected consequences. As a reward, they were given easy access to immigration and citizenship. (Like Filipinos who served with USN, like Marshallese Islanders who served with WalMart and Tyson ...)

The earlier suicides were laid to culture shock and homesickness.
One can imagine their reception and emotional state in a country whose Vietnam vets can't be bothered to learn these things ...

Collapse -
remember the message to "these" foreigners

?The New Colossus? by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
?"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"? cries she
With silent lips. ?Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!?

Between 1820 and 1920, approximately 34 million persons immigrated to the United States, three-fourths of them staying permanently. For many of these newcomers, their first glimpse of America was the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor.

The statue, sculpted by Fr

Collapse -
Or, as the Yazzies and Begays of New Mexico

In reply to: remember the message to "these" foreigners

put it, "What do you mean, 'we natives', white man?"

Collapse -
they do not celebrate coronado's birthday?

In reply to: Or, as the Yazzies and Begays of New Mexico

encomienda probably is like a stone in their moccasins.

most forget that he and desoto pacified (love that word) most of the present day usa.
Collapse -
Added to my list of synonyms for

In reply to: they do not celebrate coronado's birthday?

"screwing over". Measles did in the Hawaiians. I once read a Book that said bad government is older than we often think, and said it was guaranteed under any human system. Not a popular idea, though ... especially with government officials. Happy

Collapse -
Add New Mexico:

In reply to: they do not celebrate coronado's birthday?

The main guy here was a man named de Onate.

Collapse -
and they are erecting a statue to him in el paso, yikes!!!

In reply to: Add New Mexico:

what a bloodline he comes from. since he was born in new spain, technically he never left home. how can they call him a conquistador? 'el evictor/nasty landlord' seems more accurate.

and since he created many one-legged pueblos, I do not think they will be at dedication ceremony. 'est mui mal' should be on this statue

"In 1998 New Mexico celebrated the four hundredth anniversary of his arrival, but that same year individuals opposed to the statue cut off the statue's right foot and left a note saying, "Fair is fair."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_de_O%C3%B1ate

Collapse -
I remember the statue incident.

In reply to: and they are erecting a statue to him in el paso, yikes!!!

Now I read that the amputations may not have happened, at least in the way they're usually reported. Myself, I think the original story is true. It matches the ways of life in those days; the amputations were retaliation for a rebellion. Armies haven't changed much.

I got around to several pueblos on business over my years here and found the natives [can I use that word? Happy ] to be very nice. Also patriotic, which is strange. It's also worth noting that Isleta Pueblo, just north of here, takes better care of the Rio Grande than we highly-evolved whites do.

I've also heard that Onate died in disgrace with his king, in part because of the Acoma incident.

Collapse -
well I seem to remember something called "the inquisition"

In reply to: I remember the statue incident.

so unlike vegas; what happens in spain, might not stay in spain. visual examples of the 'disobedient' is still a very effective way of maintaining 'order'.

I was at Taos Pueblo in '68. the description at the link is what I experienced. the poverty I saw was overwhelming to this anglo. disturbing in 20th century usa.

I did enjoy stepping into another world though and it encouraged my support and empathy for the 'originals'.

has it managed to escape the 'new age' that santa fe is now famous for?

Collapse -
Two problems:

In reply to: well I seem to remember something called "the inquisition"

Governmental badness, intentional or other.
Physical isolation.

Collapse -
Add aboriginal problems:

In reply to: well I seem to remember something called "the inquisition"

The worst poverty I've seen is on the Alamo Band of the Navajo Nation, near Magdalena NM. They are ethnic Apaches who were given living space by the Navajo after the Indian wars ended.

Some native enclaves do quite well, even before they went to Indian gaming. They tend to be the pueblos, which are places where they lived pre-Spanish. (A reservation, technically, is where Indians live because the Army put them there.)

Collapse -
Read the article, Mark

It wasn't because they speak English, it was because the routes were changed.

Collapse -
and re read this part

In reply to: Read the article, Mark

"ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - A school bus driver let Rachel Armstrong's three children board the bus Monday morning, but he warned them that he wouldn't give them a ride home that afternoon, nor could they ever ride his route again.

The problem: Armstrong's 10-year-old twin girls and 8-year-old son speak English. According to their mother, the driver told them the route had been designated for non-English speakers only.

Armstrong said Wednesday that she got a call from a worried daughter who didn't know how she was going to get home. "She thought they had done something wrong," she said" <<articles wording not mine

Collapse -
There is some personal responsibility issue here.

In reply to: and re read this part

The children may not have understood by thinking they had done something wrong, true. But all was explained to the mother, the adult.

The board offered that mother options. IMO, if she really cared about the feelings of her children, she would have explained the issue to them.

This event had absolutely nothing to do with who did or did not speak English. It all had to do with the family moving out of the district, and taking the first school bus that came through. The onus rested on the English-speaking mother, not the driver or the board. She fell down regartding her responsibility for her children.

Besides, we believe that immigrants should learn English. So isn't that what the board was doing for having a special school location where they could learn English?

There are school-bus-like vehicles here that transport inmates from the jail to outside work.

What if some children wanted to ride one of those? And then became upset because they could not?

It's the mother's job to explain the mistake she made to her children. By doing so she accepts resonsibility and quits blaming others for her own error.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
well

In reply to: There is some personal responsibility issue here.

a school bus loaded with children and a bus loaded with inmates thats marked in "english" prisinors or state correctional facility are 2 different isgues as i dont think the inmates bus would have flashing red lights, as school busses do

Collapse -
no matter how many times you repeat it

In reply to: and re read this part

it doesn't make it true. It was already shown not to be the case and I'm not going to waste my time repeating the facts to you, Mark.

Collapse -
good

In reply to: no matter how many times you repeat it

i didnt write the article, take your problems to

[Home] [News] [Weather] [Sports]
[ 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS Privacy Policy ] them

Collapse -
the " speak english" issue was proven false 6 days ago

the headline from the tv station is false. it would only be minimally true if it was in quotes and was attributed to ms armstrong. that thin thread would not break only if it was stated they were paraphrasing what was said.

bulletin!!! just in from st paul mn:

3 preteen students, who were unaccompanied by a responsible adult and resided in a different school district were allowed to ride on the bus that was not intended for their transportation. they arrived safely at their school.

bus driver explained to these 10 and 8 year old children that this bus was no longer for their transportation to school. the school administration was unaware, unless notified by bus driver, of the situation. any notification, by the bus driver, to school officials is unknown at this time.

school officials admitted that they were at fault because they did not notify ms. armstrong of the change in transportation policy. ms. armstrong had been advised months earlier that when she moved to her new district that she would have to provide transportation. why ms armstrong did not make those arrangements is unknown. ms armstrong has been reminded of the earlier conversation with school officials and her solution to her problem is unknown.

boring, needs a little spice, I know: students kicked off school bus in st paul because they speak english.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.