HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Student Suspended Over Stadium Prank

by jimandjerry / August 31, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

A high school student who tricked football fans from a crosstown rival into holding up signs that together spelled out, "We Suck," was suspended for the prank, students said.

Kyle Garchar, a senior at Hilliard Davidson High School in suburban Columbus, said he spent about 20 hours over three days plotting the trick, which was captured on video and posted on the video-sharing Web site YouTube. He said he was inspired by a similar prank pulled by Yale students in 2004, when Harvard fans were duped into holding up cards with the same message.

At the end of the video, Garchar wryly thanks the 800 Hilliard Darby High School supporters who raised the cards at the start of the third quarter during last Friday's football game.

"It couldn't have been done without you," reads the closing frame of the video.

Garchar, 17, created a grid to plan how the message would be spelled out once fans in three sections held up either a black or white piece of construction paper.

Directions left on stadium seats instructed fans to check that the number listed on their papers matched their seat numbers. Darby supporters were told the message would read "Go Darby."

"It was tedious," Garchar said. "I didn't really think it was going to work."

But it did, and everyone at Davidson has been talking it ever since, said Jordan Moore, a junior.

"That was the ultimate in-your-face," he said. "I think it was ingenious."

harsh punishment

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2007-08-30_D8RBGKTO2&show_article=1&cat=breaking

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Student Suspended Over Stadium Prank
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Student Suspended Over Stadium Prank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) But worth it.
by EdH / August 31, 2007 12:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Brilliant !
by grimgraphix / August 31, 2007 12:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Been done before...
by J. Vega / August 31, 2007 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Brilliant !
Collapse -
(NT) Nice ... ;-)
by grimgraphix / August 31, 2007 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Been done before...
Collapse -
The better the joke,
by duckman / August 31, 2007 2:36 AM PDT

the more it's worth !!!

Collapse -
(NT) Homeric !!!!
by Angeline Booher / August 31, 2007 3:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) As in the greek sense or the Homer Simpson sense? ;-)
by grimgraphix / August 31, 2007 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Homeric !!!!
Collapse -
(NT) The Greek. :-)
by Angeline Booher / August 31, 2007 4:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
It didn't look real great
by PudgyOne / August 31, 2007 3:55 AM PDT

on the video. At least he thanked everyone.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Y_AkT7PEM

Rick

Collapse -
I don't think 3 days of "in school" suspension
by Steven Haninger / August 31, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

and loss of extra curricular privileges for the term is harsh at all. I think it would be necessary to send a message to the student body that this wasn't appropriate. I could imagine that such could cause tempers to flare and much worse things happening afterwards. If no action was taken, this could have been perceived as a tacit acceptance of such behavior. Sorry to be a "stick in the mud" but I can't agree that this should just be laughed off.

Collapse -
Fancy way of saying 3 days of "detention".
by grimgraphix / August 31, 2007 10:16 AM PDT

I bet the school administration is still laughing about the incident when they think about it... in private, of course. Wink

Collapse -
Well, I hope they aren't laughing
by Steven Haninger / August 31, 2007 10:53 AM PDT

I live 5 miles from this place and know people from that area. These sort of High School pranks are common and getting more sophisticated. Some have been destructive to property. This is grand scale "road rage" like activity waiting to happen. This was a stupid prank that, in another venue, would have meant bloodshed....really. Sorry but David and Ricky Nelson aren't the kids in your neighborhood any more. :).

Collapse -
You make some valid points.
by drpruner / August 31, 2007 3:11 PM PDT

OTOH the student showed creativity, initiative, perseverance and organizing skills. IOW, he doesn't need the typical high school any more.

Anyway, he's probably the hero of ISS.

I think the escalation to violence comes mainly from the existence of varsity sports, especially in small towns where there's not much else to get excited about. This prank itself would have to go some to get dangerous, but the next one, of course ...

Collapse -
This prank in a city and not a rural school
by Steven Haninger / August 31, 2007 9:02 PM PDT

would have caused violence. Of course, in the inner city, such subtle creativity doesn't happen. But in past years here, additional security and attendance restrictions have been implemented in many city schools to keep down the random acts of violence that happen for any reason...or no seeming reason at all. I suppose this is the new "school spirit". Happy

I think it's a shame but can be expected that kids...as they get creative...hone their skills in mischievous ways. Hopefully they will grow out of it. Look at all the brilliant young computer hackers out there that would bring down a corporation if they could...forgetting that this might be a company they'd want to work for some day. Guidance and good discipline never hurt anyone at any age. Wink

Collapse -
Prank vs Crime
by James Denison / August 31, 2007 11:18 PM PDT

There's a difference between the two, so please quit trying to use one to justify the other, or in reverse using one as an excuse to blame the other. Some things are pranks, some are crimes. Typically a prank causes no real harm, may provide humor for one group or person at the embarassment of another, but no harm is really done. A crime would be if property was destroyed in the commission of the prank. For instance, toilet papering someone's bushes and trees would be a prank, but spraying them and the grass with a herbicide like triclopyr which destroys them would be a crime. The one who pulls a prank does not justify the one who uses it as an EXCUSE to retaliate with a crime.

Collapse -
I can agree with your distinction
by drpruner / September 1, 2007 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Prank vs Crime

between "prank" and "crime", at least as far as legal definitions. But some of this discussion is about escalalation and encouragement of bad behavior, not criminality.

I'm not sure how I ought to react to a 'prank that provides humor for at my embarrassment', but in fact I don't like it; most people don't, and the prankster should know that at the beginning. Besides, the bible has stronger counsel on the subject:

Just like someone mad that is shooting fiery missiles, arrows and death, so is the man that has tricked his fellowman and has said: "Was I not having fun?" (Pr 26:18,19) In this case, "mad" refers to derangement, as with a lunatic shooting flaming arrows at random, not realizing the damage he causes elsewhere. Another translation says, "Like a lunatic".

Collapse -
geesh
by jimandjerry / September 2, 2007 12:31 AM PDT

it was a harmless prank
all in good fun, nothing was damaged
and you all seem so stuck on doom and gloom, no wonder the school punished the person like it did .
no sense of humor same as some here Sad

Collapse -
'No sense of humor on SE' is correct.
by drpruner / September 2, 2007 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: geesh

We're all serious meditators on the deeper questions of the universe. (We've even found the answer: 42.)

Feel better? Happy

I think most of us got a chuckle out of the reported prank. But some pranks do go bad- they make the news, too, but no one chuckles- and many of the posts consider those and other consequences.

Word of advice: Stay away from any post with "drpruner". I'm always quoting the bible and other gloomy things.

A rabbi, a priest, and a Jehovah's Witness walk into a bar.
Bartender says, "What is this, a joke?"

Collapse -
A rabbi, a priest, and a Jehovah's Witness
by James Denison / September 2, 2007 6:33 AM PDT
A rabbi, a priest, and a Jehovah's Witness walk into a bar.
Bartender says, "What is this, a joke?"

Around here it would be a Inquisition.
oohhh, I made a funny Happy
Collapse -
What! A rabbi, priest, JW but no
by Steven Haninger / September 2, 2007 7:22 AM PDT

atheist? Whatever happened to tolerance. Happy

Collapse -
Different joke.
by drpruner / September 2, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

"And the atheist says, "Holy Moses! Am I in the wrong place!"

Collapse -
Speaking of unspeakable pranks:
by drpruner / September 2, 2007 3:35 AM PDT

Here's a hack of Yahoo's home page that will cause bad feelings among any who appreciate great football from the great state of Michigan. (I'm neutral, of course.)

Appalachian State stuns No. 5 Michigan

Of course, we all know that's a prank post, but just think of the stress caused as Michiganders (yes, that's what we're called- wanna make something of it?) everywhere open their morning web screens over their coffee to read that heresy. Just imagine!

I watched some of the game but I got bored with the impending slaughter, so I switched to a repeat of Heidi ...

Collapse -
Pranks played on people in large numbers
by Steven Haninger / September 2, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

can be risky. The prankster does not know what the action of the some in the crowd will be. As such, I'd suggest a well thought out plan would include knowledge that the person(s) who were its victims are even tempered enough to laugh it off. I doubt this jokester considered the possibility that some don't take well to being "had". This guy has no right to expect his victims to react only in a certain way. He took a chance and apparently....for the time....peace was maintained. That's a good thing.

So, let me ask what you think the school administration should have done. Anything at all? Frankly, I'm disappointed that such a prank seems to be perfectly acceptable and even applauded. But things aren't too bad now. The worst is yet to come. You can just about count on it.

Collapse -
Addendem and an example
by Steven Haninger / September 2, 2007 6:30 AM PDT

Orson Wells....."War of the Worlds". Look it up. Maybe it was a good thing the radio audience was relatively small compared to the media penetration we have today. Panic could have been worse. Just a harmless prank though.

Collapse -
a dention period
by jimandjerry / September 2, 2007 9:38 AM PDT

would suffice
its not like he used a weapon and killed students

Collapse -
The article says hes getting
by Steven Haninger / September 2, 2007 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: a dention period

"in school suspension". I'm not sure exactly what that entails but here's one explanation and another. Maybe you do. As well, he's prohibited from participating in extra curricular activities. This would be clubs, sports, etc. I am thinking this is a wrist slap and not tantamount to incarceration. The principal certainly should not give him a creativity award nor should he be silent, IMO, as silence can be confused with tacit permission to continue with the same. I think the penalty was appropriate and not harsh at all.

As for pranks...my point is that these are fine between people who know each other and how the game works. Between friends, pranks are common and can be a fun part of the relationship because both partake in the mutual enjoyment they get. Pranking people you don't know...or don't know well enough...isn't the same. And, when you prank as part of an organization...in this case, a school...you are that school to your victims. You don't get to decide how they should react to your prank. That's their choice and you get to live with the consequences imposed by your organizations leadership. They are charged with maintaining its image and respectability in the community. They don't do this sort of thing happily, I am sure. Maybe we need to give them more credit and support and less grief when these tough and unpopular decisions need to be made. Give it some thought. If this kid does so, he'll wear no permanent scars. Happy

Collapse -
ISS = in-school suspension.
by drpruner / September 2, 2007 12:42 PM PDT

All classes taken in a separate room for the length of time. Homework sent over by the regular teachers. Lunches sent in; no choices, no a la carte pizza. Classwork checked by one teacher per number of ISS students vice one per 30. No talking. No bathroom breaks. Discipline from there is suspension from school.
It also depends on the ISS teacher. At our high school it used to be Br'er Rabbit's briar patch; under a new teacher they don't want to go there.
It used to be used also for tardiness, which I thought was too harsh, and counterproductive. Someone else thought so, too, so tardiness gets only a black mark in class.

If the kid was planning to impress his girl friend with his extracurricular whatever, he can kiss her and it goodbye. (If he's a dateless nerd who gets his kicks out of card pranks, then no matter. Happy )

Perhaps someone from the math or chess clubs- immemorial refuges for the dateless- could approach him and say, 'You know, we could sure use your talents on ... Say, that's right! You can't join! ... How's that for in your face, Bubba?'
Bet he would get a chuckle. Says so right here on SE.

Collapse -
maybe he should be suspended
by jimandjerry / September 2, 2007 1:15 PM PDT

and kicked out of the country would that suffice?

Collapse -
jimandjerry...please re-read what I said
by Steven Haninger / September 2, 2007 8:08 PM PDT

I said the punishment was "appropriate". That is my response. You said a "dention" period would be sufficient. I presume you experienced a keyboard fluster and meant detention period. That punishment would fit if the disruption was within school time proper. His action happened after school at a school sponsored extra curricular event. Thus, the lesson he and others can learn is that enjoying such activities comes with some responsibilities.

Why you asked me if deportation should be considered is something I don't know. I thought my response was clear enough. He's not being demonized by me or the school though it seems some want to lionize him. That, IMO, would be a bad message.

Collapse -
Somehow, Steven, we hurt their feelings beyond repair.
by drpruner / September 3, 2007 2:02 AM PDT

"Their" = Jim's and Jerry's.

BTW, wonder how they're doing with their split personality problem. Do you think they're taking their meds regularly?

Of course, the above comments are just a prank; no doubt either or both will get a chuckle(s) out of it. Certainly I did, at his/their/its expense. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.