Phones forum

General discussion

student looking for a phone

hey everyone. im a student looking for a new phone. my contract with nextel just expired and i will never look towards them again. i text message and instant message alot. i would prefer one thats is able to play music and videos for when im waiting for the next class. thought about the env or sidekick. both will come out costing about 70 a month but i would like to get one where i can type a paper for a class on the bus. really need help. thanks everyone

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: student looking for a phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: student looking for a phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
enV or Sidekick 3

In reply to: student looking for a phone

hello, it really depends which thing you want more, im get the sidekick and for video and music env. I personaly own the sidekick and love it

Collapse -
So am I

I'm looking for a new phone too. I'm thinking about the sidekick as well, and I've priced it, and it wasn't too much...maybe about $57 a month, and that's with 600 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends, and the automatic unlimited sidekick package. Instant messaging, and text messaging mean a whole lot to me too. I don't really talk on my phone that much, but I do text and instant message. So I would say get a phone and a package that you can deal with. I'm pondering getting the Motorola Razr V3t with 1000 anytime minutes, and unlimited messaging, or the Sidekick 3 with the unlimited package and 600 minutes...it's a hard decision to make...but it's gotta be made :0) I hope this helps. OH!!! and if you want one where you can type a paper, look into getting a Blackberry Pearl with T-Mobile...for some reason it comes out a little bit cheaper than the Sidekick.

Collapse -
writing a paper on your phone??

In reply to: So am I

Wow, that seems like a major pain (in the neck, in the wrist, in the eyes)

Collapse -
no kidding!

In reply to: writing a paper on your phone??

lol, seriously! How long was this paper you wrote on your cell phone?

Collapse -
razr

I would go with the Motorola Razr. Great for texting.
Thanks,
Glenn Kawesch

Collapse -
BlackJack

does both and on Cingular/AT&T. Plus it's on Windows Mobile. Tad expensive ($199), but that's what you want if you're gonna type.

Collapse -
I hope this helps

In reply to: BlackJack

All carriers under one roof.

www.mobilegrocerystore.com

Collapse -
uhhh

In reply to: I hope this helps

What do you need to type papers on your cell phone. Seriously, do it at HOME. Get something nice that you can text with and stuff, don't waste your time and money with a smart phone. You'll only get the full potential of a smart phone if you pay for data, ($40 a month).

You are'nt a business man your a student!!!

LG CU500 for Cingular, it got great ratings on Cnet, I just reccomended it to another person in the forums.

Collapse -
i second that............

In reply to: uhhh

you shouldn't spend a lot of money on a smart phone if all you do is text all the time. Get a Kyocera Switch_back (QWERTY keyboard inside) its great for texting and instant messaging and whats more, its afforable! (i'm a student too!) Please take my advice into consideration. Thanks!!

Collapse -
hmmmmm.... not to be a snob or anything

In reply to: i second that............

lol i dont mean to rain on your parade of anything but $199 is not a whole lot for a smartphone... I have a nokia N93i and would highly recomend in for anyone who texts alot. now i run i ton t-mobile whoes music store is TERRIBLE!!!! and the network can be alittle sketchy where i live in RI. so that is one sugestion. also i have a blackberry pearl(sim card so i can change from phone to phone) that is a great bet for a texter plus it has a media player and camera so i would also highy recomend it, plus it cost me about $750 less then my nokia...lol

Collapse -
$199?

In reply to: BlackJack

You can get it free online. Of course youhave to sign up for 2 year plan with Cingular.

Collapse -
$199 is cheap

In reply to: $199?

I currently own three phones my two tmo's which i payed for and my sprint phone which my company pays for and all three of my phones cost atleast $199 and i would recomend all three. but I've bought all og them from stores not online so that is why they cost so much

Collapse -
really

In reply to: $199 is cheap

so no one would recommend a sidekick. and i said writing papers because i dont have a car and two hours of my morning are spent on a subway to get to my school so i thought it would be a great way to kill time. but thanks ill sure look into the pearl. thanks to everyone!!

Collapse -
PEARL BABY!!!!!!!(lol even though I dont use one anymore)

In reply to: really

oh snap I win

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.