Laptops forum

General discussion

Student/Gamer looking for suggestions

by Jadin101 / July 11, 2005 9:02 AM PDT

Well, my desktop is 5 years old, on hard drive #2, and has started the corruption dance. It's time for a new one!

Well, I'm a Masters Student (Chemistry), a novice gamer, and I dable in photoshop, and I'm looking for some suggestions for laptops.

What's important:
- Graphics
- Price (should be less than $2000 US/$2500)
- Available in Canada
- Battery life (should be reasonable)

What's not important:
- Weight (to a degree)
- Hard Drive space, since I plan to put up a fileserver at home.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to look at? I was looking at a model of the Compaq nx6125 that has something like 1024MBX1 DDR, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Student/Gamer looking for suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Student/Gamer looking for suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
for a gamin laptop...no way with dat price
by nerdyboy1234 / July 11, 2005 3:25 PM PDT

if u are a gamer...get a good desktop....then buy a really cheap laptop for college

Collapse -
or get a desktop in a notebook
by philip32 / July 12, 2005 1:26 PM PDT

buy the desktop and the cheap notebook or pay the same price for a great notebook.if you like gaming go to many places that offer wifi.why trap yourself in your home hahahahaha.nrdyboy1234 take a look at the toshiba Qosmio g25 and you will understand were im coming from.ive been were your at

Collapse -
the new gamers notebook of choice
by philip32 / July 12, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

dell xps2 or the toshiba Qosmio G25
ive owned both.I sold the dell xps2.get the hint
the cnet review on the toshiba Qosmio G25 will lay out the specs for you as well as customer reviews.there is one pretty mad xps2 user review hahahaha he is pretty lost as you will see.one of the customer reviewers explains to him what a diffrence a 120 gb(60gb+60b) serial ata hard disk drive make as fare as speed. once you see the toshiba,s screen playing doom3 hmmmmmmmm lets put it this way.perfectionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.Im loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The price is 500 bucs above your well hold on your in Canada.your looking at 300.00 above your cap.well wourth with NO REGRETS.good luck with your choice

Collapse -
Asus, perhaps
by theding0 / July 12, 2005 10:40 AM PDT

You can get a decent Asus gaming laptop built for about $1500-1600

The Z71V is the base, I think.

Its not a hardcore gaming laptop, but it should be able to handle the average gamer fiarly well.

Collapse -
zd8000
by saurabhs / July 13, 2005 12:56 PM PDT

look at the zd8000

it has great graphics for gaming and a good processor

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dell 9300 is better
by damasta55r / July 13, 2005 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: zd8000
Collapse -
hmmmm
by philip32 / July 14, 2005 11:21 AM PDT

I had both at the same time side by side and i must disagree.something about the 120gb(60gb+60b)serial ata hard disk drives in the toshiba Qosmio put more speed into the notebook and as fare as the screen.the 17inch diagonal WXGA+ultimate trubright display kicks the dell to the curve hahahaha only fact.toshiba on top of dell .doom3 was the test game

Collapse -
dell and toshiba
by philip32 / July 14, 2005 11:25 AM PDT

I had both at the same time side by side and i must disagree.something about the 120gb(60gb+60b)serial ata hard disk drives in the toshiba Qosmio put more speed into the notebook and as fare as the screen.the 17inch diagonal WXGA+ultimate trubright display kicks the dell to the curve this is only fact.toshiba on top of dell this time .doom3 was the test game

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 14, 2005 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: dell and toshiba

The hard drives are of course faster, as they're sata-150 and going at 5400rpm, while dells is ultradma and only spinning at 4200rpm. Gfx wise, the 6800go is better than the 6600g. As for the screen, its all a personal opinion. But the toshiba costs $3000+ with tax. While the dell is cheaper...
Roger

Collapse -
personal option
by philip32 / July 15, 2005 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

the screen makes the clear graphics that what we all want as fare as gaming.yes you pay more for the toshiba g25 and you get more.roger if you could put these 2 lapetops side by side and play doom3 for lets say 30 min you would see the diffrence as fare as speed and graphics and screen.the toshiba is way better then the dell.I owned both side by side and sold the dell.dell is great ive owned one for years yet toshiba sits in my liveing room now.

Collapse -
I got it, thanks
by Jadin101 / July 13, 2005 1:12 PM PDT

I ended up caving on a Toshiba M40-JM3...Because I managed to get it at over $300 off suggested retail.

Thanks for the help folks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.