Laptops forum

General discussion

Student: Buy now or wait? If now, then 64-bit or not?

Hi all,

I'm obviously another student browsing around laptops here and there.

I have been using a Sony Vaio FXA47 laptop w/o any upgrades for the past 4 years in high school and it has suited me well. My parents are offering to buy me a new laptop for college, but it seems like we are nearing the horizon of new technology such as dual-core chips and widespread use of 64 bit computing. I'm not sure whether now would be a good time to get a new laptop that would have to last me through college. Is it worth waiting a while for the new technologies, such as the ones I mentioned above along with Longhorn, or should I just buy now and hope it will do for the next 4-5 years.

One thing I want to add is that my family and I have been loyal AMD users forever, literally. All our computers are AMDs. Our oldest PC is a 10-yr old Acer that has an AMD K5 or K6 chip, and it still runs Win 95 well! The newest one (which I built last year) has an Athlon 64, and we've never been happier. I'd like to get a new laptop with an AMD chip, preferably the new Turion 64. The laptop I really would like to get (if I get one now) is a Gateway M460XL, which has an Intel Pentium M/Centrino in it. The new HP L2000 would suit well for a Turion 64 laptop, although it is not exactly what I would wish for. The question here is if I shouldn't wait to buy a new laptop, then should I get the 64 bit Turion or will the 32 bit Centrino work. (Keep in mind that I would like to keep this new laptop for the next 4-5 years)

One more thing: at the moment, my ideal laptop is one that is thin and light, certainly something mobile and not too big (no 17" screens), long battery life, and definitely a 4 year warranty w/ accidental damage protection. I'd like it to be as powerful and fast as I can get. My max budget is approx. $3000, the lower the price the better. The Gateway M460XL meets all this. The HP I have a few reservations with, mainly on battery life and warranty (HP only offers 3 yr max; I'd very much like the 4th yr)

To sum up, here are my considered options:
A) Wait for dual-core AMD 64 notebook chip and continue to use my old Sony in the meantime.
B) Buy new laptop now with standard 32-bit Centrino processor and use for next 4-5 years. (Most likely Gateway M460XL, which I really like at the moment)
C) Buy new laptop now with Turion 64 processor and use for next 4-5 years. (Most likely HP L2000, which is not exactly my dream laptop)

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Student: Buy now or wait? If now, then 64-bit or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Student: Buy now or wait? If now, then 64-bit or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm in the same situation

In reply to: Student: Buy now or wait? If now, then 64-bit or not?

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. An opinion from someone who knows would really help me out.

Thanks

Collapse -
I'll buy an AMD 64 notebook now or wait 4 better Amd64

In reply to: I'm in the same situation

I'll buy an AMD 64 notebook now or wait 4 better Amd64.
The future is almost here. Why spend almost the same
amount for what will soon be obsolete?

Collapse -
Well, I've decided

In reply to: I'll buy an AMD 64 notebook now or wait 4 better Amd64

to wait for now. My Sony Vaio is still in good shape, all it really needs is a memory upgrade and a new battery. Other than that, it will also help me test the waters to, as there seems to be dispute whether a thin and light or desktop replacement notebook is useful.

Once dual-core chips for laptops come out, then I'll put myself back in the market again.

Collapse -
Buy Later

In reply to: Student: Buy now or wait? If now, then 64-bit or not?

I understand the fact technology is constantly changing; however, there are small changes and there are significant changes. Windows introduction to Longhorn and our transition to a 64 bit life is a significant change and its coming soon. Anyone buying a computer should atleast wait a year because you will regret it, not because you missed the latest thing but because you will have wasted your money, the threat of compatibility problems, and the hole in your productivity.

Collapse -
I'm already there.

In reply to: Buy Later

The office went 64-bit on policy and purchases many months ago. I lucked out and got a r3000 AMD 64 replacement and what little 64-bit there is, is very nice. We are also dabbling with a 64-bit only version of a tool we use.

Even I can't write the word "regret" about 32-bit only laptops except when I read a person will get near 2,000 US bucks on a 32-bitter. Longhorn is not exactly a sure thing, but some applications and XP-64 are already here and in use.

Bob

Collapse -
Don't wait

In reply to: Buy Later

No matter what you do, there will be new technology coming around the corner. IMHO dual core laptops will take a bit to come since the power drain will be high enough and the cooling need will be higher. But I could be wrong.

Of course when dual-core comes, then next you'll be waiting for the new USB interface, optical drive, ram requirement, video chipset, etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.