Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Student Arrested After Pilot Uniform Found

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A university student from Egypt was ordered held without bond after prosecutors said they found a pilot's uniform, chart of Memphis International Airport and a DVD titled "How an Airline Captain Should Look and Act" in his apartment.

The FBI is investigating whether Mahmoud Maawad, 29, had any connection to terrorists. He is awaiting trial on charges of wire fraud and fraudulent use of a Social Security number.

Maawad, who is in the United States illegally, told the judge during a hearing Thursday that he is studying science and economics at the University of Memphis.

"My school is everything. I stay in this country for seven years; I stay for the school," he said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Steve Parker said Thursday that the airport-related items were found during a Sept. 9 search.

"The specific facts and circumstances are scary," Parker said.

U.S. Magistrate Judge S. Thomas Anderson ruled that Maawad be held without bond

another friendly "peacefull" muslem maybe hmm i think not.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/16/AR2005091601286_pf.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Student Arrested After Pilot Uniform Found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Student Arrested After Pilot Uniform Found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent explanation.

In reply to: Student Arrested After Pilot Uniform Found

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) was going to fly cindys group around

In reply to: (NT) I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent explanation.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) An enemy combatant?

Collapse -
Response

Get Homeland security down here right away!

It appears he did all the things that the authorities were ''going to vigilant about'' after 9/11, and the main reason he attracted attention was

The company reported Maawad to authorities when he didn't pay for $2,500 of merchandise it had delivered, Gulczynski said

If he paid his bills, would he be a free man?

Collapse -
Don't you think you could come up with...

In reply to: Response

...a more informative subject line. Use just a little imagination. You can do it.

Collapse -
Use your head!

How could Homeland Security know if they weren't informed?

The story doesn't say whether or not ANYONE making such purchases MUST be reported (they don't) or whether there is a possibility that anything else out of the ordinary might have attracted their attention which would have resulted in notification.

Illegal student? Yep, but pause to reflect on the numerous times certain people have been so adament that "undocumented" students can't be discriminated against and yep, the same ones get their undies knotted up over profiling.

Collapse -
Use your head!

In reply to: Use your head!

For something other than a hat rack?

How could Homeland Security know if they weren't informed?

I though they might do some investigating, but I guess they just sit around, and wait for a call.

After 9/11 anyone expressing any interest in airplaines, airports, flying or shining a flashlight in the sky was suspect.

The story doesn't say whether or not ANYONE making such purchases MUST be reported (they don't)

If they don't, why did they?

Why notify ''authorities'' if he didn't pay a Visa/Mastercard/American express bill? Why not get a bill collector?

What made the credit card company suspicious?

Perhaps the guy had a ''thing for pilots''?

Seen pictures on the news of 2 ''railway buffs'' being interogated because they were taking a picture of a train.

Collapse -
Why did they...

Did you read the story? It said, "He is awaiting trial on charges of wire fraud and fraudulent use of a Social Security number.". Both Federal raps. Bogus Social Security numbers tend to ring alarm bells in places like Homeland Security.

Collapse -
Now he will be wondering why...

In reply to: Why did they...

the fraud wasn't being investigated before the report was made and thus before anyone could be aware of the fraud.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) hes still thinking

In reply to: Now he will be wondering why...

Collapse -
yes and for good reason

and security cant be every ware as were a free country.
but when they get a report investigated and took him into custody.

next deprtion works for me

Collapse -
Still not using it...

if you have to ask "If they don't, why did they?"

Without being a mind reader one should have no trouble seeing that failure to pay in conjunction with the specific ordered materials would likely raise some suspicions that all was not right in the world.

What made the credit card company suspicious?

Nothing. What makes you think they were? The rest of us managed to understand that THE COMPANY he purchased the materials from reported this. (skimming again?)

As for your I though they might do some investigating, but I guess they just sit around, and wait for a call. do you imagine that every purchase from every place of business by every customer is scrutinized by the government?

Collapse -
What made them suspicious...

In reply to: Still not using it...

It could also have been the credit company after the company had payment problems.
I don'twant to give any directions, but when somebody is building a "straw man" for something illegal in many cases they trump up a credit card for their purchases. Think "pre-approved".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT)he used a debit catd

In reply to: What made them suspicious...

Collapse -
So?

In reply to: (NT)he used a debit catd

So? Wire fraud + bogus Social Security Number= suspicion. Add in what was ordered adds to it.

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: So?

It appeared to me that you were saying he used a credit card because it would be "pre-approved" (and non-attention getting)

A debit card is not "pre-approved" IF the money is not in the account (or have overdraft) the transaction doesn't go through. He had neither, so he wasn't too concerned about drawing attention to himself

Shortly after 9/11, Cash transactions were the attention getters, now it's people that over draw their debit cards.

Collapse -
There are ways...

There are ways to do it with both a pre-approved credit card or somebody else's debit card. Both ways constitute wire fraud. I'm not about to post instructions on the first, but if you'll think about it, I'm sure that you may eventually figure it out.

Collapse -
But if he used a debit card...

In reply to: (NT)he used a debit catd

But if he used a debit card, how is it that the story said, "The company reported Maawad to authorities when he didn't pay for $2,500 of merchandise it had delivered"? If you order something on a debit card and the amount is more than you have on the card, the sale does not go through. One of the charges was wire fraud. Was it his card, and if not, did he have permission from the party whose card it was to use it?

Collapse -
Of course you can...

Of course you can, I have done it for years. Are you familiar with what they are and how they work?

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Of course you can...

Two types of debit cards

DEBIT CARDS: BEYOND CASH AND CHECKS

"On-line" debit cards: These cards usually are enhanced ATM (automated teller machine) cards which work the same as they would in an ATM transaction. It is an immediate electronic transfer of money from your bank account to the merchant's bank account.

To access your account at a store terminal, you must punch in your personal identification number (PIN), as you would at an ATM. The system checks your account to see if it has enough money available to cover the transaction.

"Off-line" debit cards: These cards usually look like a credit card and resemble a credit card transaction. The merchant's terminal reads your card, identifies it as a debit rather than a credit card, and creates a debit against your bank account. However, instead of debiting your account immediately, it stores the debit for processing later -- usually within 2-3 days.

Most, but not all, transactions are verified to see if there are adequate funds. Instead, of using a PIN number, the customer must sign a receipt, as he or she would with a credit card.

I've used debit card for years but not to purchase on internet.

Underlined part may explain how he received material.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I do it all the time:)

Collapse -
There seems to be a lot you don't know.

Ain't electronic systems marvellous? Devil

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why not?

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: (NT) Why not?

With my debit card the card it has to be swiped on a card reader and I enter my PIN.

The seller would have to be able to swipe my card.

Do they have card readers that can hookup to the home computer and transmit to an internet dealer?

Collapse -
Not needed...

Not needed with my debit card, you can use it to buy online by giving them the numbers just like a credit card. No swipe needed, no PIN number either.

Collapse -
No but ...

... you have to enter name, address, etc. for the card which has to match that which is on file with the bank for the transaction to go through. It goes through essentially as a CC transaction. Also most merchants require the three digit code on the back to protect from simply stolen numbers.

Collapse -
esnopseR

I didn't know a person could purchase on the internet using a debit card.

I do frequently.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Most debit cards are also Visa credit cards

In reply to: But if he used a debit card...

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: (NT) Most debit cards are also Visa credit cards

I know them as "line of Credit" cards

Where you start paying interest on the purchase as soon as purchased, unlike Credit Card which has a "grace period"

Not as financially frugal.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.