Laptops forum

General discussion

student

by molz1413 / March 29, 2004 12:51 AM PST

i am going to college in the fall and was wondering what type of laptop i should get, i know nothing about computers, i just need one that has everything i need and isnt to much money, and ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: student
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: student
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:student
by rd400d77 / March 29, 2004 4:13 PM PST
In reply to: student

You may very well find that the school will have a specification that must be met to connect to their intranet. Check with the admissions department and see if there is a spec. sheet from IT.

You may be able to buy used, still meet the spec and have $$$$ left over for CDs and Pizza.

Collapse -
Re:Re:student
by FfromVA / April 15, 2004 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:student

I have a laptop passed down from my uncle; though it is a few years old, it works perfectly for me and is thin and light. Try to find a family member, or friend, or anyone who is getting a new computer; chances are they will give you their "obsolete" model for free.

Collapse -
by Dell_Dude / April 24, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

If you just want a good laptop, I recommend the WinBook C120. It has a 1.4 GHz Pentium M (with Centrino), 512 MB of RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, and a 14" TFT. It is a very powerful thin-and-light and I love mine. It's $1,499 and can be had at www.winbook.com.

Collapse -
Re:Re:student
by sm51811 / April 29, 2004 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:student

I think thats alot of money for that. I have a Latitude 2.0 GHz pentium 4, 512 RAM, 40 gig hdd and 14 inch LCD with a ATi Radien 7500 video card for around that price. O yea not to mention lots of software. It was a deal DELL had with my college so I got it cheap. Happy

Collapse -
by sm51811 / April 29, 2004 1:16 PM PDT

You should definatly get a DELL. They have great support and great laptops. I got a DELL laptop last summer for college. It works great, I love it.

Collapse -
by ShooterX / May 1, 2004 3:54 PM PDT

You've got a few issues here. Fist I suggest Windows XP professional (most colleges require it). Also make sure you have an ethernet card. The rest really depends on what you plan on using it for. At the very least get a CD burner for backing up data. Go for a slightly higher end graphics card if you plan on playing games. http://www.xoticpc.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=637
this will ahndle anything u throw at it and more, just make sure u get 512 Mb RAM.....throw in the tv tuner and u dont need to buy a tv.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.