TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Stuck with Dinosaur HDTV-- Which AV Receiver?

I am stuck with my old, old Pioneer Elite HD700 big box HDTV (its capability is 1080i). In all fairness, the quality has been excellent. Unfortunately it has no HDMI inputs-- "Component Video In" is its best option (with the two sets of inputs dedicated to my cable box and my standard DVD player). For a variety of reasons I need to stay with this TV for a while, but I am willing to replace my old, old top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver, which does not even have component video switching. At the same time, I have an HD cable tv box (currently connected to TV using component video even though it has HDMI out capability), and I am ready for Blu-Ray, PS3 and other HDMI sources. Does it make any sense (or is it even do-able) to have a new receiver with HDMI switching, connect my devices to the receiver using HDMI, and have the video output to the Dinosaur Pioneer HDTV using component video? If it does make sense, do most high-end AV receivers even do this? Are there any other options? I know I can get a component video switching box and use the component video out jacks from the source devices, but I was hoping to start using HDMI feeds and have the video output "down-converted" from 1080p to 1080i. Thanks for any suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuck with Dinosaur HDTV-- Which AV Receiver?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuck with Dinosaur HDTV-- Which AV Receiver?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: Stuck with Dinosaur HDTV-- Which AV Receiver?

maybe best not to get a PS3 but something like the samsung BD-p2500, the Panasonic DMP-BD50 or Sony BDP-S350. One that has 5.1 or 7.1 analogs outs & can internally decode the HD audios & out puts them via analogs & turn that 'old' yamaha into an amp, the Bluray play will then decode the HD audio (but for DTS-MA, that is HDMI only).

For video just run the component out on the BD player straight to the tv. There is NO need to run video through an A/V, the only benefits is that you can only get DTS-MA via HDMI & that you can see the set-up menu of the A/V on the tv, not just the A/V's little lcd/led screen.

but yes that is an old hdtv not to have DVI or HDMI port. When was it made??

Collapse -
.EDIT...

In reply to: ...

scratch the sony-350 it just has 2.0 analogs out

the Sony BDP-S550 has 7.1 anaglogs outs

Collapse -
Stuck with Dinosaur HDTV-- Which AV Receiver?

In reply to: ...

Thanks for the info and advice. The Pioneer Elite HDTV is circa 1998. I think I'm going to go with the PS3 going through an "Impact Acoustics 3-Play" remote controlled switching device using the Sony (or Monster) HDMI to Component Video cable for video and an optical Toslink cable for audio. I'll also run my "old" DVD/CD changer through this, with the switcher's Component Video out to my TV and the Digital Audio out to my Yamaha. I'll leave my HD cable box as is to the TV and the Yamaha. The net effect should give me my choice of 1080i or 720p video from the games and Blu-Ray movies. My Harmony remote can handle all of the above to make switching "activities" a relative cinch. Any thoughts on 1080i versus 720p?

Collapse -

I can not find any info on your tv, soo I am guessing it is a crt or crt-RPtv???.... so 1080i, CRT's can not do progressive (p), only interlaced (i)

Collapse -
Here is a link for HDMI to Component coverter.

http://mcmelectronics.com/product/33-10440 $299.00
It is HDCP so if the protect flag on the source is turned on the component outputs will not work.
I would suggest getting a good AV receiver that has component switching until you can up grade your HDTV. You can get good receiver for the $300 that converter box would cost. John
Collapse -
NO H.D.M.I. BUMMER

I have tried both h.d.m.i. vs. componit cables on my home theater set up and h.d.m.i. is stunning componit cables looked horrible. and yes I just got rid of my Sony 65" three tube monster very low light output and always having to convergence the darn thing Time for e.bay ha ha. LCD sets are selling at dirt cheap prices and you will love the stunning picture. Then run your blue ray player using h,d,m,i, and hi-def cable also using h.d.m.i. just switch inputs on the t.v. after that you use optical audio outpuut on blue ray player and box yes upgrade amp that has op[tical audio inputs then all you need is a snack bar and dont forget to spend your life savings on speakers

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!